Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Artificial grass for home use?

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

I am mainly thinking about the back yard. It's a fairly shallow yard
surrounded by tall trees and a two-story house. It doesn't get enough
sun for a really healthy lawn. This is especially true on the side of
the house, which is a narrow strip that gets close to zero sun.

I would like to investigate putting in artificial lawn. Myabe I would
do the side of the house first and see how that goes. If we like that,
we could do the entire back lawn.

We live in the San Francisco bay area. The climate is mild. We have no
pets and the kids are grown, so it won't get a lot of use. Mostly the
occasional garden party.

Here are some links. Any experience with any of these?

http://www.foreverlawninc.com/
http://www.synlawn.com/synlawnhome1.html
http://www.sprinturf.com/

Thanks

My daughter put it at their house. It is a smallish area, probably 750 sf.
They love it. I was skeptical, but it has weathered very well for being
two years old. This is in Las Vegas where the sun is brutal. No fading.
Yet. They did have two pug dogs for over a year, and their presence did not
affect the grass.

My SIL is the type who researches everything to death. In the process of
selecting a contractor, he learned that there are different grades,
different warranties, different substrates, different thicknesses of
substrates, etc. Not just a piece of AstroTurf you can slam down anywhere.

Somewhat spendy, or I would consider it for the 1,000 sf of friggin Bermuda
we have to dig out and poison out over the next few months until September
1. We may change our minds before Sept. 1, and just go with the lawn you
vacuum.

Ask your local contractors for satisfied customers you can contact. If they
don't have any, or won't provide any, that should tell you something about
that particular contractor. Don't buy from anything but a contractor. You
will pay more, but you will not be searching for them if something goes
wrong down the road. Shop around. Educate yourself on the different grades
and substrates. You will be spending a considerable chunk of ca$h, so
research it.

Steve
Steve