Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default Artificial grass for home use?

LurfysMa wrote:
Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home
setting?

I am mainly thinking about the back yard. It's a fairly shallow yard
surrounded by tall trees and a two-story house. It doesn't get enough
sun for a really healthy lawn. This is especially true on the side of
the house, which is a narrow strip that gets close to zero sun.

I would like to investigate putting in artificial lawn. Myabe I would
do the side of the house first and see how that goes. If we like that,
we could do the entire back lawn.

We live in the San Francisco bay area. The climate is mild. We have no
pets and the kids are grown, so it won't get a lot of use. Mostly the
occasional garden party.

Here are some links. Any experience with any of these?

http://www.foreverlawninc.com/
http://www.synlawn.com/synlawnhome1.html
http://www.sprinturf.com/

Thanks

Artificial "grass" is junk, IMO. My only experience with it was a
door-mat, which always wanted to blow away. We have a few spots around
the building where nothing, or very little, will grow. We used
landscape cloth and river rock to cover them; some also have large
stepping stones in the area. Very few weeds, water drains fine through
landscape cloth. You can stick some shade loving plants in the area, or
put pots on it. Much nicer than plastic ) I do not like lava rock,
for a number of reasons, which is also used as ground cover. River rock
stays in place if you use leaf blower to clean it off, unlike lava r.
The area is still usable, as chairs or barbecue can be placed on it.