Posted to alt.home.repair
jtpr

Default I'm looking for chrome tubing or rods...

....for a built in spice rack drawer. This is something my brother in
law is building for his new kitchen. He wants to use this instead of
dowels. So, he is looking for either a rod or a tube ~1/4" in diameter
and about 24" long. I don't know how many he needs, but I would think
about 10 or 20. I cannot, nor can he, find much out there this size.
Anybody have any pointers?

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Look for something like a curtain rod. They're not very strong, but
unless your child is using the spice rack as a jungle-gym, it should be
more than adequate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
...for a built in spice rack drawer. This is something my brother in
law is building for his new kitchen. He wants to use this instead of
dowels. So, he is looking for either a rod or a tube ~1/4" in diameter
and about 24" long. I don't know how many he needs, but I would think
about 10 or 20. I cannot, nor can he, find much out there this size.
Anybody have any pointers?

-Jim

find the tubing, cut to length, then take it somewhere to get chromed? look
in your yellow pages for local chroming shops.

you can get 1/4" steel, copper, brass, or aluminium rod in home depot pretty
cheaply.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 28 Feb 2006 12:09:30 -0800, "jtpr" wrote:

...for a built in spice rack drawer. This is something my brother in
law is building for his new kitchen. He wants to use this instead of
dowels. So, he is looking for either a rod or a tube ~1/4" in diameter
and about 24" long. I don't know how many he needs, but I would think
about 10 or 20. I cannot, nor can he, find much out there this size.
Anybody have any pointers?

Onlinemetals.com

Or steal someone's antenna.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
...for a built in spice rack drawer. This is something my brother in
law is building for his new kitchen. He wants to use this instead of
dowels. So, he is looking for either a rod or a tube ~1/4" in diameter
and about 24" long. I don't know how many he needs, but I would think
about 10 or 20. I cannot, nor can he, find much out there this size.
Anybody have any pointers?

-Jim

Look for some stainless steel tubing. The stuff we use at work comes in 20
foot lengths. Cut it to length with a pipe cutter.
It is not chrome, but still is shiney.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Green

Try this http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=1&action=n, and click
on tubes, holders and posts.

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
...for a built in spice rack drawer. This is something my brother in
law is building for his new kitchen. He wants to use this instead of
dowels. So, he is looking for either a rod or a tube ~1/4" in diameter
and about 24" long. I don't know how many he needs, but I would think
about 10 or 20. I cannot, nor can he, find much out there this size.
Anybody have any pointers?

-Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
JillAdams

find the tubing, cut to length, then take it somewhere to get chromed? look
in your yellow pages for local chroming shops.

OMG thats INSANE !!!! Unless you are rich and want to watch them chrome
your rod, go to a home center like Home Depot and get your 7/8" - 1"
closet rod with the rod holders ... It's gonna be a lot cheaper
5p5 5p5 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpr
....for a built in spice rack drawer. This is something my brother in
law is building for his new kitchen. He wants to use this instead of
dowels. So, he is looking for either a rod or a tube ~1/4" in diameter
and about 24" long. I don't know how many he needs, but I would think
about 10 or 20. I cannot, nor can he, find much out there this size.
Anybody have any pointers?

-Jim
It shouldn't be too hard to find 3/8" chrome risers for bath or kitchen faucets. Most people use the braided supplies, but the chrome ones are still available. You might have to find a metal dowel that fits inside for strength (the chrome risers are chrome-plated soft copper and malable).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"JillAdams" wrote in message
. ..
find the tubing, cut to length, then take it somewhere to get chromed?
look in your yellow pages for local chroming shops.

OMG thats INSANE !!!! Unless you are rich and want to watch them chrome
your rod, go to a home center like Home Depot and get your 7/8" - 1"
closet rod with the rod holders ... It's gonna be a lot cheaper

well, if you'd bother to read, he's looking for 1/4" rod or tube, which i
doubt you'd find closet rods to match.

it's not that expensive to have things chromed or plated, especially if you
don't have a time constraint. it just goes into the basket with the next
job. auto or motorcycle customing places know where/how to do this cheaply.

heck, with the right kit, you can plate gold at home with some not so common
chemicals, for not very much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joshua Putnam

Is he really stuck on chrome?

Personally, I make kitchenwear with high-polished stainless steel
instead -- no plating to wear through or get scratched, and stainless is
easy to silver braze if you need joints. 1/4" stainless tube and rods
are easy to find from any good metal supplier.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/