Wayne G. Dengel

Default Brass Rods & Fittings.

Good Morning!

I need brass rods & threaded fittings - 1/8" diameter rods will do (can find
these at The Home Depot).

What I need from the group is the name of a supplier of brass fittings, i.e.
means to connect one rod to the next.
Rods will be formed into a retangle that will be used to support a
stain-glass window (approx 18" wide x 53" high; glass portion already in a
wood frame). Plan to hang the SG window in front of a glass-block window.
Wood frame is not structurally sound. A brass-rod "band" around the overall
structure should do it.

I can thread the 1/8" rods - need threaded fittings for end-to-end
connection.

I'll buy the rods (already threaded ??) and suitable fittings from one
supplier as may be available.

Thanks!

Wayne Dengel

Don Foreman

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:31:09 GMT, "Wayne G. Dengel"
wrote:

[...]

Closest SAE thread to 1/8" is 5-40, which isn't real common. If you
could go to 5/32" rod then you'd be pretty close to an 8-32 thread
which you can probably get spacers for. Check electronics places
like Newark, Digi-Key, etc. They used to sell threaded brass
spacers.

Ditto 3/16" rod, which would work well with 10-32.

Source for rod: gas brazing rod at a welding supplier. It's
available in 1/8", 5/32" and 3/16".

If you're very careful with lots of rocking to and fro, you can force
a 6-32 die onto 1/8" brass (I've done it), but it's highly likely
that you'll just shear the rod off. in the tap.

DoN. Nichols

According to Don Foreman :
wrote:

[...]

Or -- also very close to 4mm (Actually 3.9688mm -- only 0.0012"
too small) if metric works for you.

Check electronics places
like Newark, Digi-Key, etc. They used to sell threaded brass
spacers.

Ditto 3/16" rod, which would work well with 10-32.

Source for rod: gas brazing rod at a welding supplier. It's
available in 1/8", 5/32" and 3/16".

If you're very careful with lots of rocking to and fro, you can force
a 6-32 die onto 1/8" brass (I've done it), but it's highly likely
that you'll just shear the rod off. in the tap.

You mean "in the die"?

If you've got a lathe, I would suggest turning the 1/8" brass
down to 0.138" for the threads, plus a very short area down to 0.107" to
help start the die straight.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

If you've got a lathe, I would suggest turning the 1/8" brass
down to 0.138" for the threads, ...

Hmm. Maybe you mean "knurl up," instead of "turn down?"

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

Randy Replogle

wrote:

[...]

Maybe forget the threads and slip a piece of close fitting brass tube
over the joint area and solder it?
Randy
DoN. Nichols

According to jim rozen :
In article , DoN. Nichols says...

If you've got a lathe, I would suggest turning the 1/8" brass
down to 0.138" for the threads, ...

Hmm. Maybe you mean "knurl up," instead of "turn down?"

Oops -- you're right. However, I don't think that increasing
the diameter by kurling would do much good here. You could simply cut
less than full height threads with a die.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Eric R Snow

According to Don Foreman :
wrote:

[...]

3mm threads are .118" on the O.D.. So an M3 x .5 die could be used if
the threaded spacers or coupling nuts are easily available. And 4-40
threads are .112" on the O.D.. 4-40 threaded spacers are easy to get.
And a 4-40 die could be used on 1/8" brass rod.
ERS
Don Foreman

On 19 Sep 2005 21:39:56 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

You mean "in the die"?

Oops. Yup!

Wayne G. Dengel

You got it, got the picture.

And, yes, one of the connections would have to have a left-handed thread.
Or what? have not figured out how to assemble such a brass-rod rectangle.
This is not a trick question - just wish to "pull this off", some assembly
in some simple way. Are left-handed threads difficult to come by?
Turn-buckles have one left and one right. If I could only find small,
brass turnbuckles! In fact, turnbuckles would be ideal - able to "pull the
brass rod rectangle" together, i.e. snug into rabbets milled into the
stain-glass outer wood frame.

As for the 'L'-shapped corner brackets, right now I am in the mood to simple
bend the rods at the corners. I can't help wonder if this will negatively
effect rod strength to the point where this whole design is unworthy.

Wayne

"Dave Plumpe" wrote in message
k.net...
Ummmm, perhaps I'm not understanding. I get the picture of a rectangle
formed by 4 brass rods, threaded on their ends, and connected at the
corners by 4 internally threaded brass "L"-shaped corner brackets.

At least one of these connections would have to have lefthand threads,
wouldn't it?

-Dave P.
--
http://plumpe.home.mindspring.com
email:

[...]

Gerald Miller

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:55:58 GMT, "Dave Plumpe"
wrote:

Ummmm, perhaps I'm not understanding. I get the picture of a rectangle
formed by 4 brass rods, threaded on their ends, and connected at the corners
by 4 internally threaded brass "L"-shaped corner brackets.

At least one of these connections would have to have lefthand threads,
wouldn't it?

-Dave P.

Make it like a picture frame clamp where each corner piece has one
threaded hole and one clearance hole counter bored for a grommet nut.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Wayne G. Dengel

Gerry ~ Went to McMaster-Carr to find out about "grommet nuts". Came up
blank.
Pls, what is a grommet nut? I know a grommet :-) and nut :-), but the
combo?? Probably very simple, but the gray matter is not putting the pieces
together.
Wayne

wrote:

Ummmm, perhaps I'm not understanding. I get the picture of a rectangle
formed by 4 brass rods, threaded on their ends, and connected at the
corners
by 4 internally threaded brass "L"-shaped corner brackets.

At least one of these connections would have to have lefthand threads,
wouldn't it?

-Dave P.

Make it like a picture frame clamp where each corner piece has one
threaded hole and one clearance hole counter bored for a grommet nut.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Don Foreman

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:26:27 GMT, "Wayne G. Dengel"
wrote:

You got it, got the picture.

And, yes, one of the connections would have to have a left-handed thread.

Only if you wanted it to tighten. If you could establish tension by
other means, then just screw the RH coupler all the way on to one rod
before closing the frame, tension the frame, screw the coupler
halfway on to the other rod. Turning the coupler doesn't change the
tension but it does join the ends.

Or what? have not figured out how to assemble such a brass-rod rectangle.
This is not a trick question - just wish to "pull this off", some assembly
in some simple way. Are left-handed threads difficult to come by?

LH taps and dies are available.

Turn-buckles have one left and one right. If I could only find small,
brass turnbuckles! In fact, turnbuckles would be ideal - able to "pull the
brass rod rectangle" together, i.e. snug into rabbets milled into the
stain-glass outer wood frame.

As for the 'L'-shapped corner brackets, right now I am in the mood to simple
bend the rods at the corners. I can't help wonder if this will negatively
effect rod strength to the point where this whole design is unworthy.

A very sharp right-angle zero-radius bend will probably weaken or
break brass rod. I would make silver-brazed corners. They could be
mitered, or just buttbraze the end of one rod to the side of the
other and then clean it up with a file. For the closing joint, I
would mill or file flats on the joining pieces so they could overlap,
then tension it by other means: perhaps small visegrip on each rod,
pull them together with another clamp or wind up some string or
something. If you don't need a lot of tension, you might be able to
drill small crosswise holes in the rod and pull the ends together with
snapring pliers. You could soft-solder ears on the rods, pinch the
ears together with a clamp of some sort, solder the splice and then
remove the ears.

I'd then solder the overlapped splice with Harris Staybrite; the 430F
heat can be supplied by a soldering gun and won't harm the glass.

The result would be a frame with square corners and no "bumps".

If you don't mind a small bump, you could get some brass tubing that
just slides over the rod -- look at a hobby store. Tension the rod
by other means, solder the rod into the tube. Ordinary soft solder
would work here, but Staybrite might be better because it's very
fluid, would readily "wick" into the tube and around the rod.

Some welding stores sell a couple of oz of Staybrite in little
blister packs with flux, so you don't need to buy a whole pound of it.
(Pricey)

Brownells offers "Hi Force" (similar stuff, 96 tin 4 silver), $4.95
for one oz. http://tinyurl.com/bzg36 One oz is several feet of
1/16" wire, way plenty for your job.

Don Foreman

wrote:

As for the 'L'-shapped corner brackets, right now I am in the mood to simple
bend the rods at the corners. I can't help wonder if this will negatively
effect rod strength to the point where this whole design is unworthy.

I found that 1/8" dia gas brazing rod bends very nicely to a
near-zero-radius bend if heated to dull red. I heated it with a Lil'
Torch. I also tried bending it cold in a vise with a brass hammer.
It didn't crack, but the bend wasn't as sharp as when I heated it.

Gerald Miller

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:05:27 GMT, "Wayne G. Dengel"
wrote:

Gerry ~ Went to McMaster-Carr to find out about "grommet nuts". Came up
blank.
Pls, what is a grommet nut? I know a grommet :-) and nut :-), but the
combo?? Probably very simple, but the gray matter is not putting the pieces
together.
Wayne

See:
http://www.stanleyhardware.com/defau...wsandbolts.htm