Posted to alt.home.repair
Platebanger

Default Hot Water Circulation Problem

Hi Folks, I run my hot water off off my oil fired boiler. I have plenty of
heat but no hot water in the house. I suspect it's the circulation pump.

What type of things can I check to determine or fix the problem ?

Thanks
Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Platebanger" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I run my hot water off off my oil fired boiler. I have plenty of
heat but no hot water in the house. I suspect it's the circulation pump.

What type of things can I check to determine or fix the problem ?

Thanks
Dick

Clarification please. Do you mean you have no domestic hot water but you
have heat for the baseboard or radiators? If so, it is not the circulator
as the house is not fed with a pump, just the heaters.

If you mean the boiler is firing, but not circulating to the baseboard, then
yes, it may be the pump. Do you hear a relay clicking as you turn the
thermostat on and off?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Assuming you have an indirect water maker, and not just a coil in the
boiler: It will have an aquastat on it which is connected to a relay that
turns on the circulator. Depending upon make and model, these things can be
integral to the unit or placed on or near the boiler. Probably the easiest
thing to do is turn the aquastat up, open the circulator wiring box and see
if you have 120 volts on the circulator wires

"Platebanger" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I run my hot water off off my oil fired boiler. I have plenty of
heat but no hot water in the house. I suspect it's the circulation pump.

What type of things can I check to determine or fix the problem ?

Thanks
Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Platebanger" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I run my hot water off off my oil fired boiler. I have plenty of
heat but no hot water in the house. I suspect it's the circulation pump.

What type of things can I check to determine or fix the problem ?

Thanks
Dick

Call someone who can see the installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Platebanger

Thanks, I have no domestic hot water but heat for the baseboard. The problem
seemed to correct itself by turning the hot water temp to 130 but that was a
couple of week ago and now I have the same problem.

I tried draining the bottom of the water tank. I did notice some darker
water but now it's running clear.

Some info. It's a Super Stor Stainless Steel Indirect Fired Water Heater
running from a Well McLain boiler.

I ran some hot water in the sink for about 3 minutes and it was lukewarm but
still not hot.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Dick

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Platebanger" wrote in message
Hi Folks, I run my hot water off off my oil fired boiler. I have plenty
of heat but no hot water in the house. I suspect it's the circulation
pump.

What type of things can I check to determine or fix the problem ?

Thanks
Dick

Clarification please. Do you mean you have no domestic hot water but you
have heat for the baseboard or radiators? If so, it is not the circulator
as the house is not fed with a pump, just the heaters.

If you mean the boiler is firing, but not circulating to the baseboard,
then yes, it may be the pump. Do you hear a relay clicking as you turn
the thermostat on and off?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If, when you turn the aquastat up and down, you Don't hear a relay clicking
in and out: Unplug the black connector with the little wire attached to it
on top of the unit, open it up and touch the two (low voltage) wires
together. If that makes the relay click in, you have a bad aquastat in the
unit
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Starrin

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:26:02 GMT, "Platebanger"
wrote:

Thanks, I have no domestic hot water but heat for the baseboard. The problem
seemed to correct itself by turning the hot water temp to 130 but that was a
couple of week ago and now I have the same problem.

I tried draining the bottom of the water tank. I did notice some darker
water but now it's running clear.

Some info. It's a Super Stor Stainless Steel Indirect Fired Water Heater
running from a Well McLain boiler.

As I read this, your boiler is heating one side of this
heat-exchanger, and is either controlled by a zone valve or a circ
pump. So this circ pump, if there is one, could be the problem if it
has failed; similarly with the zone valve. The literature says it has
a lifetime warranty; I would call them and talk to them. Certainly
they can make some suggestions
http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-81.pdf

This page also has the installation manual, warranty info, etc.
Again, there should be something there to help.
http://www.htproducts.com/products/ssultra/index.html
In retrospect, if it needs to be replaced, and if the boiler has a
tankless coil, consider simply using the output of that coil as the
imput for a standard electric HWH, then connecting the output of the
HWH as the input to the house HW.
I did this years ago when the teen-age kids demand for HW exceeded the
tankless coil's ability to produce it. In winter, boiler operations
preheats the water. In summer, it simply flows through the boiler.
Since I live in hurricane country, I had a cutt off installed to take
the HWH back out of the loop if I want. My generator will supply 110
to the boiler to produce HW for showers, while it will not produce
sufficent 220 to use the HWH
YMMV