Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

Default Your Most Useful Tool?

I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
IBM5081

Cordless impact driver followed closely by a 5" angle grinder.
So many things are screwed together or bolted together, the impact
driver will run sockets in and out with a socket adapter or regular
square drive and Philips screw heads. Plenty of torque in a 14.4 volt
or higher model. Like a baby impact wrench it is.
The angle grinder is so nice for removing nail/screw points that
over-penetrated as well as excess bolt threads. Got a lock or chain
that won't open? Burn a link open and you're in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Spike

Hello;

I also do contracting, when i take an order or agree to do work over the
phone my most important tool is also a tape recorder. Who here hasn't been
screwed, doing contracting?

Take care,
Spike's homepage about the Ontario Govt.
http://thevandalnextdoordeaththreats...asar-intl.com/

"Churchill" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Tape measure. I use it for electrical, plumbing and carpentry projects. I
use it for planning, design and for actual construction. I can substitute a
rock for a hammer and a butter knife for a screwdriver but if I substitute a
cubit (my forearm) for a yard, everything comes out all crooked. How did
Noah do it?

"Churchill" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

In some states it is illegal to tape a call without telling the other side
unless you are George Bush.

"Spike" wrote in message
Hello;

I also do contracting, when i take an order or agree to do work over the
phone my most important tool is also a tape recorder. Who here hasn't been
screwed, doing contracting?

Take care,
Spike's homepage about the Ontario Govt.
http://thevandalnextdoordeaththreats...asar-intl.com/

"Churchill" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Churchill wrote:
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

Define tool.
So either a notebook computer or a cordless drill (or utility knife,
pencil is up there, too).

Favorite tool would elicit more interesting answers than useful tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

I think that is true in all states.

Just ask Linda Tripp.

Most likely nobody would care until you used it against them or played it
for someone else.

Just ask Monica and Bill

ink.net...

"Spike" wrote in message
Hello;

I also do contracting, when i take an order or agree to do work over the
phone my most important tool is also a tape recorder. Who here hasn't
been screwed, doing contracting?

Take care,
Spike's homepage about the Ontario Govt.
http://thevandalnextdoordeaththreats...asar-intl.com/

"Churchill" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
####@####.com

On 10 Feb 2006 12:10:27 -0800, "Churchill"
wrote:

I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

The one between my legs !!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

Churchill, 2/10/2006,3:10:27 PM, wrote:

What's your most useful tool?

I am an electronic technician and a computer repairer. My most useful
tool is my sense of logic followed closely by a 7-level screwdriver
(also known as a tweaker).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moisés Nacio

"Churchill" wrote in message

However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

It's probably a toss up between a phone & vehicle. Although my glasses
could be considered a tool. I wonder if clothing articles are considered
tools. Hmmmmmmm, maybe my toothbrush & razor.

Good question.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MC

PipeDown wrote:
I think that is true in all states.

Just ask Linda Tripp.

Most likely nobody would care until you used it against them or played it
for someone else.

Just ask Monica and Bill

ink.net...

"Spike" wrote in message

Hello;

I also do contracting, when i take an order or agree to do work over the
phone my most important tool is also a tape recorder. Who here hasn't
been screwed, doing contracting?

Take care,
Spike's homepage about the Ontario Govt.
http://thevandalnextdoordeaththreats...asar-intl.com/

"Churchill" wrote in message
egroups.com...

I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

opps, my anwering machine did not disconnect when I answered the phone,
It just happens that the conversation was recorded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

medium-sized crowbar, but i deal with old houses.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"BP" wrote in message
et...
My thumb.

Useful, but the index finger is better for picking your nose and smoothing
caulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed B

Moisés Nacio wrote:
"Churchill" wrote in message

However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

It's probably a toss up between a phone & vehicle. Although my glasses
could be considered a tool. I wonder if clothing articles are considered
tools. Hmmmmmmm, maybe my toothbrush & razor.

Good question.

A pencil
A tape measure
A razor knife
A clean rag and last but not least
My helper, he is a real tool sometimes

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Kliewer

My new favorite tool and quikly becoming my most useful tool is my
distance laser meter. My Disto Plus has an accuracy of + - 1/16th of
an inch and a range of 650 ft. As an appraiser doing exterior and
interior measuring I don't know how I lived without before. It saves
me a ton of time.

Check out www.laserstreet.com for specs on what these things can do.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Churchill wrote:
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Hi,
My most useful tool is my brain and hands.
Whatever you have, if you don't know how to use it right....
Hey voice recorder? How about PDA in your pocket?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:14:41 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

In some states it is illegal to tape a call without telling the other side
unless you are George Bush.

When the president does something, that means it's legal." Richard
Nixon (closely paraphrasing)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:26:47 GMT, "PipeDown"
wrote:

I think that is true in all states.

No. Less than half, I think, but certainly not all.

Just ask Linda Tripp.

I guess she had legal fees, which her buddies probably paid, so she
got off very easy. She was in Maryland, where the inability to tape
someone has given me many problems. For example, my mother's
stockbroker would lie to her about what I said, and lie to me about
what she said. I should have gotten 3-way calling immediately, but I
wasn't smart enough.

Most likely nobody would care until you used it against them or played it
for someone else.

I agree. But in most cases, most of its usefulness is at those times.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:46:10 -0500, MC wrote:

opps, my anwering machine did not disconnect when I answered the phone,
It just happens that the conversation was recorded.

A very good idea. Unfortunately I didn't think of it until the broker
had lied her way to the money she wanted.

I had a machine that was designed not to turn off. I also preferred
it that way all the time, but it broke, and all the new ones turn off
when I pick up the phone. So I bought one like mine off of ebay, and
it worked fine except it was broken in the very same way as mine.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"BP" wrote in message
et...
My thumb.

Useful, but the index finger is better for picking your nose and smoothing
caulk.

Oh you can dig much deeper into your nose with your finger, but there is
nothing like the thumb for maximum collection.
BSF: Workers who lose a thumb are severely disabled. You can compensate for
the loss of a finger, but not a thumb.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Churchill wrote:
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

B&D Firestorm Cordless Hammer Drill 24V.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chub

"Churchill" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me.
So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be
my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
recorder.

computer/ internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Filters.

So I don't have to read all the crap posted here that doesn't have to do
with home repair, or even the topic.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

Mark Kliewer,

Thanks for the tip about the laser measurer. I didn't even know these
exist. I ran out this morning and bought a Stanley Tru-Laster from
Home Depot for $99. I measured the square footage of my house, and it
took me no time at all. This is an awesome tool and a great idea!
Thanks again,

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Churchill" wrote in message
Thanks for the tip about the laser measurer. I didn't even know these
exist.
John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

And yet you teach building and construction? No wonder we have so little
progress in the use of new materials.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:46:56 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Churchill" wrote in message
Thanks for the tip about the laser measurer. I didn't even know these
exist.
John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

And yet you teach building and construction? No wonder we have so little
progress in the use of new materials.

I was thinking along the same line, regarding the teaching aspect.
Then I remembered the phrase "educated idiot".

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Thanks for the tip about the laser measurer. I didn't even know these
exist. I ran out this morning and bought a Stanley Tru-Laster from
Home Depot for $99. I measured the square footage of my house, and it
took me no time at all. This is an awesome tool and a great idea!
Thanks again,

They are not an actual laser measuring device. I had this discussion here
before. The laser is merely a pointing device, and there is a clicking that
actually measures. Readings can be affected by textures, objects closer
than what you want to measure, and other things.

For work that doesn't require a measurement exact enough to cut, they are
very helpful. My wife bought me one of the packs that have all the gadgets
in it, with the leveler, and all. They work okay, but not great.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Churchill wrote:

Thanks for the tip about the laser measurer. I didn't even know these
exist. I ran out this morning and bought a Stanley Tru-Laster from
Home Depot for $99.

Stanley makes shoe making tools?

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

"Churchill" wrote in message
Thanks for the tip about the laser measurer. I didn't even know these
exist.
John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

And yet you teach building and construction? No wonder we have so little
progress in the use of new materials.

I seem to worry about a "GC" that buys everything at HD or Lowes....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

What's wrong with Home Depot?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chub

"Steve B" wrote in message
Filters.

I replace the filters in my furnace 1 a month but I don't think of it as a
tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Kliewer

John Churchill,

They are awesome aren't they! The one I use (Disto Plus) has a
built-in 2X telescopic viewer for longer distances and Bluetooth so you
can transfer you measurements wirelessly to a PDA or Tablet pc with
Bluetooth and sketching software. Until you try this out for yourself
it is hard realize just how much time you can save while on site.

-------------------
Steve B,

The Stanley TLM 100, TLM 200, TLM 300 are made by Leica for Stanley in
Austria and are true laser measuring devices, as are all of the Leica
Disto products. They are not ultrasonic devices with a laser pointer -
yes even the $99 TLM 100 is a true laser device. Again, look at the
specs at www.laserstreet.com or other sites (just search on Disto or
Stanley laser meters).

For the rest out the it does take a while to get use to measuring
with one of these. But once you are use to it you will find that it
will replace your tape for many situations but not all. I personally
keep a tape in my truck but have not used it at all in the last 6
months. Again, I do house measurements inside and outside for
appraisals, floorplans and as-built surveys for contractors and with a
+- 1/16th of an inch accuracy, I have found that I couldn't live
without it. I have cut my measuring time in half with it - not on
the typical rambler but on complex layouts and houses in the 4,500 SF
and higher category, especially the 9,500 SF house I did recently.

Mark K

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

PipeDown wrote:
I think that is true in all states.

"Federal law allows recording of phone calls and other electronic
communications with the consent of at least one party to the call. A
majority of the states and territories have adopted wiretapping statutes
based on the federal law, although most also have extended the law to cover
in-person conversations.

"Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit individuals to
record conversations to which they are a party without informing the other
parties that they are doing so.

"These laws are referred to as "one-party consent" statutes, and as long as
you are a party to the conversation, it is legal for you to record it.
(Nevada also has a one-party consent statute, but the state Supreme Court
has interpreted it as an all-party rule.)"

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Churchill" wrote in message

What's wrong with Home Depot?

They wallow in mediocrity. Many local lumberyards have better quality
wood at about the same price or a few pennies more. If you want premium
products, you can find better elsewhere. My local dealer will match or beat
any of their appliance prices and have better models available. Many of
their tools are "homeowner" grade, not what a pro really needs. Most of the
screws and fasteners they sell are crap compared to other brands from other
sources. like www.leevalley.com or www.mcfeelys.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Suzie-Q

-
- I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing
- ("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see
- dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then
- transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice
- recorder.
-
- What's your most useful tool?
-
- John Churchill
- Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
- Author of www.renovation101.com
-

Sledge-O-Matic.
--
;^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:57:56 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Churchill" wrote in message

What's wrong with Home Depot?

They wallow in mediocrity. Many local lumberyards have better quality
wood at about the same price or a few pennies more. If you want premium
products, you can find better elsewhere. My local dealer will match or beat
any of their appliance prices and have better models available. Many of
their tools are "homeowner" grade, not what a pro really needs. Most of the
screws and fasteners they sell are crap compared to other brands from other
sources. like www.leevalley.com or www.mcfeelys.com

I agree. HD is focused on sales. not quality. I've noticed that HD
used to carry more variety and brands years ago. A box of screws I
bought from HD are crap--never again will I buy fasteners made in
China.
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote:

"Churchill" wrote in message

What's wrong with Home Depot?

They wallow in mediocrity. Many local lumberyards have better quality
wood at about the same price or a few pennies more. If you want premium
products, you can find better elsewhere. My local dealer will match or

beat
any of their appliance prices and have better models available. Many of
their tools are "homeowner" grade, not what a pro really needs. Most of

the
screws and fasteners they sell are crap compared to other brands from

other
sources. like www.leevalley.com or www.mcfeelys.com

I agree. HD is focused on sales. not quality. I've noticed that HD
used to carry more variety and brands years ago. A box of screws I
bought from HD are crap--never again will I buy fasteners made in
China.

Not disagreeing with you, but for many of us, going to a 'real' lumberyard
(aka trade lumberyard) means taking time off work, since they are only open
the same hours we work. In this town, the 'real' lumberyards are down to
two, and neither is full-line. The ma'n'pa hardwares are mainly garden and
knick-knack stores, due to competition from the national and regional
big-boxes and franchise chains. As a kid in a small town in another state,
pre-big-box era, the small local yards had such high prices that my father's
company found it more economical to send a guy and a truck up to the state
capitol, to buy direct from jobbers. I'm all for supporting the local guy,
but he ain't making it easy for me.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
NatlHomeServices

paper and pad, and when I can my pda.
Modern technology is great.
Seriously I have an exceptional memory and remember measurements of
things/situations for months.

The pda I just love

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM