Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

Default Your Most Useful Tool?

"Churchill" wrote in message
oups.com...
What's wrong with Home Depot?

Quite a lot.

There have been several other replies and I would like to add to them.

HD does not support 'the locals.' The tools they sell are not professional
grade, I.a. they won't last as long as the tools they sell at dedicated tool
stores. Their lumber is inferior quality (that's been said before) and much
of the rest of the products are as well.

My epiphany about HD was when I called them to get a shower stall. I had
the make and model of the unit, as I had seen it on display at that
particular store. The drone that answered the phone said something like
"I'll have to call Apex to get a price." To heck with that, I called Apex
direct and got the exact same stall without the HD markup.

IMO, if that weasel Robert Nardelli, the General Electric/Jack Welch reject
wasn't in charge, HD would still have stock splits every year to year and a
half. He's more interested in buying other successful companies and sucking
them dry. Apex wasn't much in their day, but they were good. Now they
stink.

Another case in point. I purchased a 'string trimmer' from a local store.
I also bought at the time several other things I needed to keep the trimmer
running for a while. I finally ran out of these items and went back to the
store I bought it from the purchase more. Although I regularly go into that
store, I hadn't noticed the string trimmers. Because HD now sells that line
of string trimmers, that local store does not sell OR service that brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:57:56 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Churchill" wrote in message

What's wrong with Home Depot?

They wallow in mediocrity. Many local lumberyards have better quality
wood at about the same price or a few pennies more. If you want premium
products, you can find better elsewhere. My local dealer will match or beat
any of their appliance prices and have better models available. Many of
their tools are "homeowner" grade, not what a pro really needs. Most of the
screws and fasteners they sell are crap compared to other brands from other
sources. like www.leevalley.com or www.mcfeelys.com

I agree. HD is focused on sales. not quality.

So is every corporation everywhere.

I've noticed that HD
used to carry more variety and brands years ago. A box of screws I
bought from HD are crap--never again will I buy fasteners made in
China.

In that case you won't want to buy any from McFeelys either. I just
looked up their catalog: Made in China, Taiwan, Korea,... seems to be
the origin of most of their screws. I haven't checked Lee Valley. Have
you?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

In that case you won't want to buy any from McFeelys either. I just
looked up their catalog: Made in China, Taiwan, Korea,... seems to be
the origin of most of their screws. I haven't checked Lee Valley. Have
you?

Don't stop buying because of the point of origin. China makes crap and
China makes good stuff. McFeelys' specifies a higher quality than HD. At
least some of Lee Valley's ware come from China also, but they are still
better than HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Keefe

On 2/11/06 11:57 PM, in article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Churchill" wrote in message

What's wrong with Home Depot?

They wallow in mediocrity. Many local lumberyards have better quality
wood at about the same price or a few pennies more. If you want premium
products, you can find better elsewhere. My local dealer will match or beat
any of their appliance prices and have better models available. Many of
their tools are "homeowner" grade, not what a pro really needs. Most of the
screws and fasteners they sell are crap compared to other brands from other
sources. like www.leevalley.com or www.mcfeelys.com

They're like all the other box stores.. "we carry what the majority of
people will buy.. If you want something else, go somewhere else, we've got
money to make.."

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM