Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

Default Air Purifiers

I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my house of
dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes from. My home is
vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these things really work? I
want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking at the trion by fedders at
home depot. Thanks as usual.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You can cut down on the dust, but you're never going to be completely rid of
it. Any equipment will only filter the air while it's running, so you should
keep it on 24/7. Are you talking about a stand alone or whole house unit?

"Don" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my house of
dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes from. My home is
vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these things really work? I
want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking at the trion by fedders at
home depot. Thanks as usual.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don

I'm looking at a stand alone unit and figured I'd move it a couple times a
day to do the whole house. Running full time will it do the job?

"Don" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my house

of
dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes from. My home is
vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these things really work?

want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking at the trion by fedders

at
home depot. Thanks as usual.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

Dust comes in from the upper atmosphere. Agricultural activity
generates a lot of dust. Here in Minnesota we joke that it all comes
in from the North Dakota wheat fields. Just imagine how much dust is
created when they plow those fields!

You do not want to buy one of the ozone generators or de-ionizers. I
have owned the Honeywell stand-alone filter for years and they work
great. I have one next to my bed. It includes both a charcoal
pre-filter and a HEPA filter and scrubs the air to a microscopic level.

The ones that really work have a fan that actually blows filtered air
around. If it doesn't have a fan, then it doesn't really work. The
only drawback is the noise. To reduce noise buy a larger unit and
then run it on low. I don't know anything about the whole house
filters but it seems like they would work while the fan is running.

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair
newsreader

I'm in the same situation. My household includes 3 dogs & 2 cats, which I'm
sure adds to the dust load. DW vacuums religiously with our central vac, got
a 3M Filtrete in the downstairs air handler, & 3 more Filtrete filters in
the upstairs return air intakes. I bought a couple Bemiss Console
Humidifiers, which include an air filter, about a month ago. They don't seem
to be doing anything for the dust, but the moister air certainly makes the
house more comfortable.

After browsing more air filter sites than I can count, I ordered a Friedrich
C-90B Electronic Air Cleaner.

http://www.berriman-usa.com/pdf_broc...s_brochure.pdf

From what I read, it seemed like it might do a decent job without having to
spend major bucks regularly on replacement filters. Unfortunately, I'm
still waiting for it to get here. Ordered on Jan 22 from the least expensive
online shop I could find. Probably a dumb thing to do.

Looking forward to hear what others here have to say.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Depends on the model. You have to look at air changes per hour and then
match that to the cubic feet of your home. If you have allergies, get one
that's HEPA rated.

"Don" wrote in message

I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my

house
of
dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes from. My home

is
vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these things really

work?
want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking at the trion by

fedders
at
home depot. Thanks as usual.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You should only have one air filter in any air stream. Otherwise you are
severely restricting the air flow and can burn out any air-cooled blower
motor.

"newsreader" wrote in message
I'm in the same situation. My household includes 3 dogs & 2 cats, which

I'm
sure adds to the dust load. DW vacuums religiously with our central vac,

got
a 3M Filtrete in the downstairs air handler, & 3 more Filtrete filters in
the upstairs return air intakes. I bought a couple Bemiss Console
Humidifiers, which include an air filter, about a month ago. They don't

seem
to be doing anything for the dust, but the moister air certainly makes the
house more comfortable.

After browsing more air filter sites than I can count, I ordered a

Friedrich
C-90B Electronic Air Cleaner.

http://www.berriman-usa.com/pdf_broc...s_brochure.pdf

From what I read, it seemed like it might do a decent job without having

spend major bucks regularly on replacement filters. Unfortunately, I'm
still waiting for it to get here. Ordered on Jan 22 from the least

expensive
online shop I could find. Probably a dumb thing to do.

Looking forward to hear what others here have to say.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
newsreader

"Bob" wrote in message
news
You should only have one air filter in any air stream. Otherwise you are
severely restricting the air flow and can burn out any air-cooled blower
motor.

I guess I wasn't too clear on that. The basement unit has a 20 x 25 filter
in the unit, where the return feeds into the side. The attic unit has 3
in-ceiling returns, each one having a 18 x 18 filter.

I'd think with all these filters I'd see less dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zzyzx

"Don" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my house of
dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes from. My home is
vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these things really work? I
want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking at the trion by fedders at
home depot. Thanks as usual.

I've been using air purifiers for 6 years now, 1 in the family room & 1 in
the bedroom. I used to live in the desert with lots of construction plus I
have 4 cats. Also my house is 80% wood & 20% tile. I'm building a new house
with the same specs.

Carpet is a big culprit of dust, to me carpet is a horizontal dust trap.When
you vacuum, you pick up only partial amounts of dust, the rest gets agitated
and released in the air. After living in a house with carpet all my life,
it's amazing how clean the air is with no carpet. One thing I noticed with a
air purifier is how fresh the air is when breathing. Again, I live in a no
carpet environment, so I'm not sure how effective a air purifier is in a
carpeted house. I also use 3M filters for my air ducts, they trap a lot as
well.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

If you have particles floating in the air your furnace filter may not
be sealed tight in the frame or a poor quality filter. Trion? If you
mean an Air Bear, by Trion it is a great 4" furnace filter with positive
case seals. April Air does not hve a positive case seal. I would look at
a Trion furnace Air Bear filter, apx 400$. Don`t look into standalone
Ionic Breeze type, they emit o3-Ozone, a proven lung irritant. A
standalone unit I dought will cure you, Try a standalone unit from Sears
or wherever you can return, you get 30 days to find out. Shampooing
carpets can really help alot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 09:56:08 -0500, "Don" wrote:

I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my house of
dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes from. My home is
vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these things really work? I
want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking at the trion by fedders at
home depot. Thanks as usual.

You can't get rid of all dust, and you're going to drive yourself
crazy even trying to get rid of most of it.

Do you have kids or are you planning to? Dust is good for them.
Living where there is none makes them vulnerable to asthma etc. when
they finally encounter it.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Don wrote:
I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my
house of dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes
from. My home is vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these
things really work? I want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking
at the trion by fedders at home depot. Thanks as usual.

It should help reduce dust. If you want to reduce allergens get a HEPA
rated unit.

I might suggest considering what vacuum is being used. I greatly
decreased the amount of dust when I switched to a central vacuum system that
vented outside. You can also find HEPA filtered standard style vacuums.

I will strongly suggest that you don't consider getting the Sharper
Image scam filter. Sure it "helps" reducing dust, but so would waving a
damp cloth in the air. If you want to put 20 of them in a room, it likely
would give some reasonable amount of reduction, but one of those in a room
is not going to make an noticeable difference in the amount of dust.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

I have used the standalone filters for years. If the objective is to
breathe less dust then you will do well with one of these filters.
They vastly reduce the amount of airborne dust in the room. If you
have pets, are a smoker, or do a lot of cooking then you will notice
the difference right away. It goes without saying that these devices
only reduce (not eliminate) airborne dust and do nothing to prevent the
problem. I love my filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zzyzx

"Random Netizen" wrote in message
In article , says...
One thing I noticed with a
air purifier is how fresh the air is when breathing.

Two questions:

1) How fresh is the air when not breathing?

On a scale of 1-10, it is a 10

2) How do you tell the difference?

I have had allergies for years with chronic sinititus, the filters took most
of the allergen causing dust out of the air. It's real simple, dust gets
into air, you inhale dust, the dust dries back in the nostrils, it casues
post nasel drip, you get sick, repeat. My wife who does not have allergies
said even to her the air was a lot fresher then before the filters.

I've met a lot of people that were totally convinced that their "air

purifier" was doing
a wonderful job, when in reality it didn't make much of a difference.

Really, is this just a feeling you have or do you have documented proof that
they are wrong and you are right?

In any event, unless you have allergies, dust isn't going to bother you

too much. As a
species we've been living with dust for thousands of years, after all....

Have you been to the Las Vegas or Phoenix where they have been under going a
one of the largest building booms in the last 15 years? Before the boom they
had a protected top layer of crust. That protective top layer of crust has
been ripped up for construction, they cities are always covered in dust. Not
natural occurring dust, but man made insane amounts of dust.?

We have been living with a lot of different elements for 1000's of years,
but we have altered some of those elements including the environment with
medicine, better drinking water, food, etc. Ever wonder why people only
lived 40-50 years old and now the life expectancy in pushing 80?

Posted to alt.home.repair
newsreader

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have used the standalone filters for years. If the objective is to
breathe less dust then you will do well with one of these filters.
They vastly reduce the amount of airborne dust in the room. If you
have pets, are a smoker, or do a lot of cooking then you will notice
the difference right away. It goes without saying that these devices
only reduce (not eliminate) airborne dust and do nothing to prevent the
problem. I love my filter.

Which Brand / Model do you have?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Lee

Since you all are talking about air purifiers. I have several HEPA
purifiers, but after a little while, stopped using them because I was
supposed to changed the filters, which cost quite a bit. Theoretically, I
should be able to reuse the filters if I vacuum them out well (will an
in-house vacuum that exhausts outside). Any input?

--
Later 'gator

remove NOSPAM for email
"Don" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my house of
dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes from. My home is
vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these things really work? I
want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm looking at the trion by fedders at
home depot. Thanks as usual.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Don Lee wrote:
Since you all are talking about air purifiers. I have several HEPA
purifiers, but after a little while, stopped using them because I was
supposed to changed the filters, which cost quite a bit.
Theoretically, I should be able to reuse the filters if I vacuum them
out well (will an in-house vacuum that exhausts outside). Any input?

I am not sure it is possible to properly clean them using a vacuum. My
guess is that you may be able to do it once or twice and by then the
accumulated very small particles that are very difficult to get out are
going to cause too much resistance.

remove NOSPAM for email
"Don" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting one of those home air purifiers to rid my
house of dust. I can't figure figure out where the hell it comes
from. My home is vacuumed and dusted at least twice a week. Do these
things really work? I want to be totally rid of the dust. I'm
looking at the trion by fedders at home depot. Thanks as usual.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

Don Lee wrote:
That is a very good point. However, I think that most of the blockages are
caused by the bigger dust particles. So, if I change the prefilter (cheap)
more often, skip the charcoal filter (major cause of black dust), I might be
able to recycle the HEPA several times before coughing out the big bucks.

Don Lee wrote:
Since you all are talking about air purifiers. I have several HEPA
purifiers, but after a little while, stopped using them because I was
supposed to changed the filters, which cost quite a bit.
Theoretically, I should be able to reuse the filters if I vacuum them
out well (will an in-house vacuum that exhausts outside). Any input?

I am not sure it is possible to properly clean them using a vacuum.

My
guess is that you may be able to do it once or twice and by then the
accumulated very small particles that are very difficult to get out are
going to cause too much resistance.

On my Honeywell filter the charcoal filter is the pre-filter. They
advertise the HEPA as being a "lifetime' filter which requires no
replacement so long as the pre-filter is used and changed regularly.
The pre-filter is not so cheap, about 7 bucks. I'm not sure how often
I replace it, but not very often. There is a little light that comes
one when it needs replacement and by the time that light comes on that
pre-filter is full of dust! I have had my Honeywell for years and have
never needed to replace the main filter. The pre-filter catches the
big stuff thus protecting the main filter.

Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence

On my Honeywell filter, the charcoal filter is the pre-filter and is
the only one that has to be replaced. Honeywell says that their HEPA
is a "lifetime" filter which never has to be replaced so long as the
pre-filter is used and changed regularly. The pre filter cost about 7
bucks. I'm not sure how often I replace it, but not very often. There
a light which which comes one to tell you when it needs replacement
and by the time that light comes on it is full of stuff.