Posted to alt.home.repair
WM

Default How to cool down a body to 50 degrees?

I'm planning a home funeral/burial for my spouse.
I'd like some opinions on the best way to preserve the body for 3 days
until buried in a homemade pine box.

I'm thinking that rather than lay her out on the dining table for the
wake, I'd just go ahead and clean her up and put her in the box as
soon as she dies. Immediately, I'd go to the grocery store and get
some packets of dry ice and put under her in the box. I don't really
have any idea how many and how long it lasts.

The idea would be to keep the body at about 50 degrees but above
freezing. I just want the flesh to keep nicely for 3 days then dust
to dust, you know.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Bob wrote:
A chest freezer. It locks, and she'll die quickly.

Yea, and after she is dead, you could put a Plexiglas lid on it for the
showing.

Of course the dry ice would smother her quickly in the pine box, likely
quicker than the freezer. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

WM, 1/27/2006, 8:43:35 AM,
wrote:

I'm planning a home funeral/burial for my spouse.
I'd like some opinions on the best way to preserve the body for 3 days
until buried in a homemade pine box.

I'm thinking that rather than lay her out on the dining table for the
wake, I'd just go ahead and clean her up and put her in the box as
soon as she dies. Immediately, I'd go to the grocery store and get
some packets of dry ice and put under her in the box. I don't really
have any idea how many and how long it lasts.

The idea would be to keep the body at about 50 degrees but above
freezing. I just want the flesh to keep nicely for 3 days then dust
to dust, you know.

Any suggestions?

Insert this:
http://www.varianinc.com/cgi-bin/nav...iquids/cold_pr
obes/index&cid=IOMKPJNLFIH

--
"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts."
~ Will Rogers
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I understand that freezing is pretty painless, but maybe he isn't worried
about painless. If he's worried about quick AND painless, maybe he could
pipe in his car exhaust.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..

"WM" wrote in message
I'm planning a home funeral/burial for my spouse.
I'd like some opinions on the best way to preserve the body for 3
days until buried in a homemade pine box.

I'm thinking that rather than lay her out on the dining table for
the wake, I'd just go ahead and clean her up and put her in the box
as soon as she dies. Immediately, I'd go to the grocery store and
get some packets of dry ice and put under her in the box. I don't
really have any idea how many and how long it lasts.

The idea would be to keep the body at about 50 degrees but above
freezing. I just want the flesh to keep nicely for 3 days then dust
to dust, you know.

Any suggestions?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikey

WM wrote:

I'm planning a home funeral/burial for my spouse.
I'd like some opinions on the best way to preserve the body for 3 days
until buried in a homemade pine box.

I'm thinking that rather than lay her out on the dining table for the
wake, I'd just go ahead and clean her up and put her in the box as
soon as she dies. Immediately, I'd go to the grocery store and get
some packets of dry ice and put under her in the box. I don't really
have any idea how many and how long it lasts.

The idea would be to keep the body at about 50 degrees but above
freezing. I just want the flesh to keep nicely for 3 days then dust
to dust, you know.

Any suggestions?

The dry ice probably wouldn't work very well. Here's a better way: Take
all the food out of your refrigerator. Remove all the shelves. Put your
wife in the refrigerator. An hour before the funeral, take her out of the
refrigerator and put her in the coffin.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

"WM" wrote in message
I'm planning a home funeral/burial for my spouse.
I'd like some opinions on the best way to preserve the body for 3
days until buried in a homemade pine box.

I'm thinking that rather than lay her out on the dining table for
the wake, I'd just go ahead and clean her up and put her in the box
as soon as she dies. Immediately, I'd go to the grocery store and
get some packets of dry ice and put under her in the box. I don't
really have any idea how many and how long it lasts.

The idea would be to keep the body at about 50 degrees but above
freezing. I just want the flesh to keep nicely for 3 days then
dust to dust, you know.

Any suggestions?

humor

I get this mental picture of the wife laying in a box with a clear top,with
wisps of CO2 vapor swirling around and flowing out over the sides like a
Halloween display;then the wife sits up and makes everyone scream,like in a
Haunted House.

B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Won't work, she'd be too stiff to bend (unless she's still alive). Get a
chest freezer where you can lay her out flat.

"Mikey" wrote in message

WM wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

That could only happen if someone didn't do the job right the first time.

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

"WM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikey

Only trouble with a feezer is that she'd be frozen on the day of the funeral. I
guess she could be taken out the night before to thaw.

"Mikey" wrote in message

WM wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

in most states laws the body must be buried within 48 hours if not
imbalbed. ......... cut a drain hole in the box and pack her in
ice.lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Our dog had to be put to sleep this past summer. We brought gypsy home
in a cardboard coffin. Our chest freezer was empty so I plugged it in
and put her on ice till 2 days later when I had time for digging.

miss gypsy a lot....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

A little make-up on the face and hands, and no one will notice. When was the
last time you went to a funeral and someone touched the body to see how cold
it was?

"Mikey" wrote in message

WM wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Most states North of the Mason-Dixon line won't let you put a wife in the
freezer.

wrote in message
in most states laws the body must be buried within 48 hours if not
imbalbed. ......... cut a drain hole in the box and pack her in
ice.lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Bob wrote:

Won't work, she'd be too stiff to bend (unless she's still alive). Get a
chest freezer where you can lay her out flat.

Thaw her in the microwave a piece at a time. Stitch back together
whatever will show.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

True story: Saw an ad in our local newspaper once. Ad said, "For Sale, used
hospital bed and meat grinder."

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob wrote:

Won't work, she'd be too stiff to bend (unless she's still alive). Get

chest freezer where you can lay her out flat.

Thaw her in the microwave a piece at a time. Stitch back together
whatever will show.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

Andy writes:
All you have to do is preserve the head. Easy to
store in the freezing compartment and thaw out
in the microwave....
The other parts you can put almost anywhere
where the police can't find it.......
In fact, there's probably no need for a full
sized coffin. Just a small box of about a cubic
foot should do....

Andy ( Big fan of Senor Winches)

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

WM wrote:
I'm planning a home funeral/burial for my spouse.
I'd like some opinions on the best way to preserve the body for 3 days
until buried in a homemade pine box.

I'm thinking that rather than lay her out on the dining table for the
wake, I'd just go ahead and clean her up and put her in the box as
soon as she dies. Immediately, I'd go to the grocery store and get
some packets of dry ice and put under her in the box. I don't really
have any idea how many and how long it lasts.

The idea would be to keep the body at about 50 degrees but above
freezing. I just want the flesh to keep nicely for 3 days then dust
to dust, you know.

Be sure to save all the suggestions you get. She may need them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

WM wrote:
I'm planning a home funeral/burial for my spouse.
I'd like some opinions on the best way to preserve the body for 3 days
until buried in a homemade pine box.

I'm thinking that rather than lay her out on the dining table for the
wake, I'd just go ahead and clean her up and put her in the box as
soon as she dies. Immediately, I'd go to the grocery store and get
some packets of dry ice and put under her in the box. I don't really
have any idea how many and how long it lasts.

The idea would be to keep the body at about 50 degrees but above
freezing. I just want the flesh to keep nicely for 3 days then dust
to dust, you know.

Any suggestions?

Why not have it before she dies. That way you don't have to be
concerned about the temperature. Just get her to lie real still.

Then she can enjoy all the kind words people say.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

That's a good idea, she can listen until the dirt on the coffin muffles the
words.

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
WM wrote:
[...]

man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiastes

9:16

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:32:05 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

That's a good idea, she can listen until the dirt on the coffin muffles the
words.

Coax her into a hole first, so the pine can be recycled. Use of a
favorite treat; like "plastic" or verbiage like "credit card" and
"stay".

It's "supposed" to be legal to bury a person in your yard in Las Vegas
(not normal for many metro areas) as long as it is disclosed in the
selling of the house..

Oren

Why not have it before she dies. That way you don't have to be
concerned about the temperature. Just get her to lie real still.

Then she can enjoy all the kind words people say.

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:32:05 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

That's a good idea, she can listen until the dirt on the coffin muffles the
words.

Coax her into a hole first, so the pine can be recycled. Use of a
favorite treat; like "plastic" or verbiage like "credit card" and
"stay".

It's "supposed" to be legal to bury a person in your yard in Las Vegas
(not normal for many metro areas) as long as it is disclosed in the
selling of the house..

Oren

Why not have it before she dies. That way you don't have to be
concerned about the temperature. Just get her to lie real still.

Then she can enjoy all the kind words people say.

excused from saving Universes."

pine box is good. 1/2" cdx ply with a little trim will be good.

salvation army store or goodwill will get you old dresses for the
lining.

pour a layer of kitty litter for multiple catsto absorb any fluids