Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryan

Default Need New Dryer

Current Dryer: Kenmore Electric

If it's an option, do I want a gas or an electric dryer (and why)?

Wife tends to overload washing machine and loads dryer with oversized bath
towels.

Any brands and models that you regret not buying or that you have and
wouldn't live without?

Just did a quick viewing of Sears and it looks like dryers are going to cost
$1000; any way to get a great dryer at a great price?

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

you want the largest capacity for sleeping bags and king size blankets
but simple controls and an energy star label. in buffalo ny natural gas
is cheaper for drying clothes than electric. all gas dryers require
outdoor venting only.
your new gas dryer here would be free because the savings in utility
cost would make the dryer payments, even if you need to pay a plumber
to extend your gas line to the laundry. see also the samurai's free
wisdom at:
http://fixitnow.com/faq.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

update: energy star says:
"What about Clothes Dryers?
ENERGY STAR does not label clothes dryers because most dryers use
similar amounts of energy.

To reduce the amount of energy your clothes dryer uses:

Use the moisture sensor option on your dryer, which automatically shuts
off the machine when the clothes are dry.
If your clothes washer has spin options, choose a high spin speed or
extended spin option to reduce the amount of remaining moisture, thus
starting the drying process before you put your clothes in the dryer.
Air dry clothes whenever possible."
at

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...lothes_washers

where they discuss energy star washers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you can get a extra capacity standard gas dryer for 500 bucks or less,
gas is much cheaper to operate than electric.

those front load washer and dryer pairs with stands are in the 1000
range, cost a little less to operate, but parts aand service are a
killer.

here I have 2 washers and 2 dryers. doubles laundry speed and if
anything breaks its no big deal. Although I had both dryers break
once

How old is your dryer? You might be able to fix it cheap if your a bit
handy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph E. Johnston

"Bryan" wrote in message
m...
Current Dryer: Kenmore Electric

If it's an option, do I want a gas or an electric dryer (and why)?

Wife tends to overload washing machine and loads dryer with oversized bath
towels.

Any brands and models that you regret not buying or that you have and
wouldn't live without?

Just did a quick viewing of Sears and it looks like dryers are going to
cost $1000; any way to get a great dryer at a great price?

A grand for a dryer? You sure must love to overpay for stuff. Best advice I
could give is to train your wife how to do laundry properly...

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryan

wrote in message
oups.com...
you can get a extra capacity standard gas dryer for 500 bucks or less,
gas is much cheaper to operate than electric.

those front load washer and dryer pairs with stands are in the 1000
range, cost a little less to operate, but parts aand service are a
killer.

here I have 2 washers and 2 dryers. doubles laundry speed and if
anything breaks its no big deal. Although I had both dryers break
once

How old is your dryer? You might be able to fix it cheap if your a bit
handy

I'm not handy at all, but if I'm going to throw the thing out, what would it
hurt (if I can figure out what's wrong and the part isn't too expensive) if
I gave the repair a try. Broken is broken, right? I'll start another
thread to discuss how to troubleshoot the dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryan

"Joseph E. Johnston" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
m...
Current Dryer: Kenmore Electric

If it's an option, do I want a gas or an electric dryer (and why)?

Wife tends to overload washing machine and loads dryer with oversized
bath towels.

Any brands and models that you regret not buying or that you have and
wouldn't live without?

Just did a quick viewing of Sears and it looks like dryers are going to
cost $1000; any way to get a great dryer at a great price?

A grand for a dryer? You sure must love to overpay for stuff. Best advice
I could give is to train your wife how to do laundry properly...

Joe

I sure don't want to spend a grand, but that's the going price at Sears for
a dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bryan" wrote in message
If it's an option, do I want a gas or an electric dryer (and why)?

In most every case, gas is cheaper to operate. That would be my first
choice. Thee may be exceptions, but my new electri rate is .169 kWh and
going up antoher 5% in April.

Wife tends to overload washing machine and loads dryer with oversized bath
towels.

That can be costly. The dryer needs room to tumble hte load for best
eficiency. Have her pay the electric bill and she may change her habits.

Any brands and models that you regret not buying or that you have and
wouldn't live without?

My old Maytag is 24 years old, bt I've been hearing stories that they are
not as well made today.

Just did a quick viewing of Sears and it looks like dryers are going to
cost $1000; any way to get a great dryer at a great price?

Sure, buy another brand at a local store. Sears is not the best priced
anything, IMO. Local dealers mostly belowg to buyers co-ops now and sell at
about the same price as the big store, and offer better service.. Good
dryers run about $500 and up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Check Consumer Reports at the library. A top electric is under $400. Gas
is a bit higher. You can spend more if you want.

"Bryan" wrote in message
m...
Current Dryer: Kenmore Electric

If it's an option, do I want a gas or an electric dryer (and why)?

Wife tends to overload washing machine and loads dryer with oversized bath
towels.

Any brands and models that you regret not buying or that you have and
wouldn't live without?

Just did a quick viewing of Sears and it looks like dryers are going to
cost $1000; any way to get a great dryer at a great price?

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Bryan wrote:
Current Dryer: Kenmore Electric

If it's an option, do I want a gas or an electric dryer (and why)?

Wife tends to overload washing machine and loads dryer with oversized
bath towels.

Any brands and models that you regret not buying or that you have and
wouldn't live without?

Just did a quick viewing of Sears and it looks like dryers are going
to cost $1000; any way to get a great dryer at a great price?

Gas, Gas, GAS! Gas anything is cheaper than electric. Way cheaper.

If they'd let me, I switch out my electric bulbs for gaslight!

Check the classified ads section of your newspaper. Better, check with an
applicance repair shop for reconditioned, guaranteed units they may offer.

There is really not much that can go wrong with a dryer anyway - gas or
electric. All it does is heat up and tumble around, which is what I presume
make your wife so valuable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryan

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I needed that; as well as the dryer tips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not handy at all, but if I'm going to throw the thing out, what
would it
hurt (if I can figure out what's wrong and the part isn't too
expensive) if
I gave the repair a try. Broken is broken, right? I'll start another
thread to discuss how to troubleshoot the dryer.

its probably minor. so whats its trouble?

yeah you have nothing to lose!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gazoo

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

Sure, buy another brand at a local store. Sears is not the best priced
anything, IMO. Local dealers mostly belowg to buyers co-ops now and sell
at about the same price as the big store, and offer better service.

and its better for your local economy too to support a smaller local store.

Dryer too hot in back Vinnie Boombotts Home Repair 6 October 13th 05 01:49 PM
Whirlpool Electric Dryer Problem Hoopster Home Repair 7 July 14th 05 02:09 PM
dryer vent location John Home Repair 7 June 14th 05 04:31 AM
Green wire on Dryer? Duncan Tuna Home Repair 4 April 25th 05 11:40 AM
Can I plug my 230V compressor (NEMA 6-20P) into a dryer (NEMA 10-30R) receptacle? Martin Mickston Home Ownership 1 October 25th 04 04:17 PM