John

Default dryer vent location

I just moved into a house and had to buy a new washer/dryer. We have a main
floor laundry. The electric dryer (Neptune) has the dryer exhaust
connection coming straight out of the back in the middle of the dryer. The
connection in my house happens to go down into the floor. That floor
connection is right up tight to the wall. So the connection to the dryer is
a 90 deg elbow, right from the dryer to the floor outlet. The problem is
that because of the necessary radius of the elbow, the dryer has to sit 9-10
inches out from the wall. Wife is not happy. I went into the basement to
see about possibly relocating the exhaust tinwork, but of course the spot
where it goes up into the floor is above some unmovable return or supply
ductwork for the hvac. The only thing I can come up with is something I've
always tried to stay away from - flex hose. I did see some metal flex stuff
at menards, and you can make a very tight 90 with it, but I wonder how bad
that is for dryer performance. It would have this tight 90 out of the
dryer, then go through the floor and 90 again, then go straight about 20
feet to the outside wall and the outlet vent. Any other helpful
suggestions?

Appliance Repair Aid

John wrote:
[...]

Hi,

The electric dryer (Neptune)

Seperate units, stacked unit??

Some seperate units can be vented through the base, which may or may
not help.

The problem is
that because of the necessary radius of the elbow, the dryer has to sit 9-10
inches out from the wall.

A close wall elbow may help...

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=78
90 degree Close Wall Elbow Dryer Vent Duct - Standard, 90-degree, short
radius elbow. Use for 90-degree turns within 4-1/2-inches of wall.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=71
Elongated 90 degree, Close Wall Elbow (Dryer Outlet) - Use where outlet
vent on dryer is projecting outward. Snap-lock, rotating collar. Elbow
turns 90 degrees within 4-1/2-inches of wall. Clamp required. Female to
male connections (use on dryer outlet).

I did see some metal flex stuff
at menards, and you can make a very tight 90 with it, but I wonder how bad
that is for dryer performance.

This is not as bad as the plastic flexable but not as good as the solid
metal vent.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

JimL

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:15:56 -0500, "John"
wrote:

[...]

Instead of monkeying with a new dryer exhaust hookup, why don't you
just get a new wife.

It worked for me.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 13 Jun 2005 04:36:36a, Appliance Repair Aid wrote in
alt.home.repair:

John wrote:
[...]

I've used 2 of this type in an installation with a 3 foot straight duct
running between them. Never had a problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Tom

"John" wrote in message
[...]
Look under the dryer near the back center for a round knock out. I seems
to me that this dryer can be converted internally to out the bottom
venting. However, that's no help if the knockout doesn't line up with your
hole in the floor.

SQLit

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I bought the Neptune as well, with the stand. Stops me from having to bend
so much after the surgery. Problem is that the outlet is now about 18"
higher.

Two suggestions first cut the wall and move the vent inside re-drywall and
tape. Paint would be optional for me. Second, and I attest that I have only
seen this. Get some 4x18 square ducting, put end caps on both ends. and cut
holes in the opposite sides of the large sides for the inlet and outlet. I
saw this as a solution once. I would think that it would need to be cleaned
periodically cause of all the fibers that the dryer puts out.

Best suggestion open up the wall and move the ducting. That is what I did.

bubba

A close wall elbow may help...

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=78
90 degree Close Wall Elbow Dryer Vent Duct - Standard, 90-degree,

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=71
Elongated 90 degree, Close Wall Elbow (Dryer Outlet) -

the one in the first link is fine, but the one in the second link is a fire
hazard.

the whole point of correct dryer venting is no restrictions, and that second
one temporarily cuts the pipe in half, which is a MAJOR restriction, and
will collect lint and greatly increase back pressure etc.

I agree with the guy that said to get a new wife!

Oscar_Lives

wrote:

[...]

I got a new wife, but the old one left me the dryer, so I was no better
off...