Appliance Repair Aid

John wrote:
I just moved into a house and had to buy a new washer/dryer. We have a main
floor laundry. The electric dryer (Neptune) has the dryer exhaust
connection coming straight out of the back in the middle of the dryer. The
connection in my house happens to go down into the floor. That floor
connection is right up tight to the wall. So the connection to the dryer is
a 90 deg elbow, right from the dryer to the floor outlet. The problem is
that because of the necessary radius of the elbow, the dryer has to sit 9-10
inches out from the wall. Wife is not happy. I went into the basement to
see about possibly relocating the exhaust tinwork, but of course the spot
where it goes up into the floor is above some unmovable return or supply
ductwork for the hvac. The only thing I can come up with is something I've
always tried to stay away from - flex hose. I did see some metal flex stuff
at menards, and you can make a very tight 90 with it, but I wonder how bad
that is for dryer performance. It would have this tight 90 out of the
dryer, then go through the floor and 90 again, then go straight about 20
feet to the outside wall and the outlet vent. Any other helpful
suggestions?

Hi,

The electric dryer (Neptune)

Seperate units, stacked unit??

Some seperate units can be vented through the base, which may or may
not help.

The problem is
that because of the necessary radius of the elbow, the dryer has to sit 9-10
inches out from the wall.

A close wall elbow may help...

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=78
90 degree Close Wall Elbow Dryer Vent Duct - Standard, 90-degree, short
radius elbow. Use for 90-degree turns within 4-1/2-inches of wall.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=71
Elongated 90 degree, Close Wall Elbow (Dryer Outlet) - Use where outlet
vent on dryer is projecting outward. Snap-lock, rotating collar. Elbow
turns 90 degrees within 4-1/2-inches of wall. Clamp required. Female to
male connections (use on dryer outlet).

I did see some metal flex stuff
at menards, and you can make a very tight 90 with it, but I wonder how bad
that is for dryer performance.

This is not as bad as the plastic flexable but not as good as the solid
metal vent.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/