Duncan Tuna

Default Green wire on Dryer?

I moved my Kenmore natural gas dryer a few feet back, and noticed a green
wire, connected to a grounding pipe, hanging from the wall.

The end had been, may have been just hanging inside the dryer, not
connecting to anything, but I am not sure.

The dryer is connected to a standard 3 prong power outlet, and the green off
of the power cord *IS* connected to the dryer frame via an external nut. --
This "extra" green wire that I'm concerned about was definately not
connected to the external grounding screw.

So .. anyone know what this "extra" grounding wire is all about? Should I
attach it to the grounding screw on the exterior of the dryer? Or was there
somewhere inside the dryer that it WAS connected to, but is no longer? This
extra wire could have been from a previous dryer that was there. Any harm
in attaching TWO grounding wires to the external screw?

Again, the dryer power cord has a ground, and is connected. So I got that
going for me.

Thanks in advance.

Appliance Repair Aid

Duncan Tuna wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Kinda sounds like the green wire was a ground wire left over from an
older/other dryer or washer. If your outlet is a 3 prong and the ground
is attached ok you shouldn't have to worry about the old ground, remove
it.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Beachcomber

On 24 Apr 2005 14:37:20 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"
wrote:

Duncan Tuna wrote:
[...]

The new US Electrical Code "standard" for dryer connections is "4
wire" not "3 wire". If you have an older installation with only 3
wires (2 hots and a neutral), you are permitted to be "grandfathered"
by using a 3 hole receptacle and an approved 3 wire cord set.

If it is new construction, you must install a 4 hole receptacle with
proper wiring (2 hots, neutral, and ground). The ground must NOT be
connected to the neutral at the dryer.

Beachcomber

Appliance Repair Aid

Duncan Tuna wrote:
I moved my Kenmore natural gas dryer a few feet back, and noticed a

green
wire, connected to a grounding pipe,
hanging from the wall.

Except the OP has a gas dryer, not an electric one.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/