Vinnie Boombotts

Default Dryer too hot in back

Hello.

I have a 7 year old Frigidaire dryer, used several times a week over the
years. Tonight I placed my hand on the back of the dryer to move it and the
back was hot enough to cause pain, I did not leave my hand long enough to
burn. Yes, I do know a dryer uses heat to dry clothes, but I thought the
heat remained on the inside of the dryer.

The paint on the back of the dryer has turned from white to beige, most
likely from the heat. The dryer exhaust hose is clear as is the vent.
There is some lint caught in the folds of of the hose, but nothing large.
The dryer blows air from its exhaust pipe when the hose is disconnected and
connected to the outside vent.
My wife commented that she has increased the drying cycle over the past
year.

Is this normal for a dryer? Should I stop using the dryer immediately?

Thank you,

Vito

mwlogs

I'm no expert on these things, but if it is too hot to touch on the outside,
then it is even hotter 'under the skins' so I would stop using the dryer
immediately and call for service. The discoloring by itseld is probably not
that big an issue over the years, but heat build-up to that extent isn't.

"Vinnie Boombotts" wrote in message
[...]

Nick Hull

In article ,
Vinnie Boombotts wrote:

[...]

Try changing the heat setting from HIGH to MEDIUM or LOW. I hope you
are using a metal flex hose connected to the dryer.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Appliance Repair Aid

Vinnie Boombotts wrote:
[...]

Hi,

I have a 7 year old Frigidaire dryer

Model#?

Tonight I placed my hand on the back of the dryer to move it and the
back was hot enough to cause pain

On the back of the dryer or on the top near the back?

The paint on the back of the dryer has turned from white to beige, most
likely from the heat.

That was normal for these dryers.

If the heating element area is getting too hot ( element is behind the
drum ), some possible trouble makers:
- grounded heating element
- operating thermostat not cycling the heat on and off correctly
- poor air flow ( venting, fan blower, lint filter, etc )

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Joey

Vinnie,

A dryer needs several things to work correctly. Yours is hot so the
element is working. A dryer needs proper air flow. There is a fan type
mechanism attached to the dryer motor. Sometimes they are plastic fins
which break off thus lower air flow. Sometimes the fan shrod gets
blocked or the exit hose gets blocked or pinches, thus restricted air
flow and the dryer gets hotter. Try operating the dryer for about ten
minutes without the hose attached to the back. If the temp appears OK
then your hose is restricted somewhere, get a new one. If the air flow
does not appear to be normal then check those fan blades. It also
wouldn't hurt to take the cover off, take the dryer outside, and blow it
out with an air hose. Hope this helps.

Vinnie Boombotts wrote:

[...]

Vinnie Boombats

Thank you for all of your advice. The dryer is very hot on the back at the
top, just under the control panel.

The dryer hose is not blocked, I have a face full of lint proving this fact.
I clean the lint screen every cycle. The outdoor vent opening does not have
a trap door, it is always open.

I can replace the vinyl dryer hose with a new one to eliminate that issue.

Is the dryer damaged in some way after many months of operating this way?
Is it a fire hazard? I guess I can replace the dryer, a new dryer is
cheaper than a new house.

Thanx

On 10/11/05 7:44 AM, in article
, "Appliance Repair
Aid" wrote:

Vinnie Boombotts wrote:
[...]

Terry

"Vinnie Boombats" wrote in message
Thank you for all of your advice. The dryer is very hot on the back at
the
top, just under the control panel.

Based on some experience and the comment that it takes longer to dry
clothes, maybe the heating element has broken off? (Some dryers have two
heaters!) That part of the heater of a broken heater may now be in contact
with the metal frame and is getting VERY hot! Strongly suggest you get
someone electrically competent to look at it. As long as the metal frame of
the dryer is grounded there is maybe not too much electrical danger? But I
wouldn't risk it. Also there may be a risk of fire or the dryer may shut
down completely for a while at times when the overheat switches operate?
Get it looked at pronto!