Joseph R. \(Bob\) Bouvier

Default Condensation inside electric dryer

I just purchased a new Kenmore electric dryer and had their contractor
install it. They connected it properly, as far as I can tell, to the vent
duct that penetrates the adjoining exterior wall. The length of the duct in
the wall is, at most, 12 inches to the outside vent cover (an 18-year-old
plastic four-hinged-flap affair). I am seeing significant condensation
inside the idle dryer after just a few hours with its door closed. We have
the AC running so our interior relative humidity is in a normal comfort
range and the interior temperature is around 70F. It is very humid outside
and I suspect there is backflow of hot, humid air back through the vent duct
into the interior of the dryer where the moisture is condensing on the cool
drum surface. Note - I never saw this in the 27-year-old Maytag dryer I
replaced. Never.

Has anyone experienced this before and found a solution?

Sears offered to replace the dryer. I doubt seriously this would eliminate
the condensation. I don't imagine a service call would either. I'm
thinking I need to replace the outside vent cover with something that seals
better.

TIA for your ideas.

Bob in hot, humid greater Washington.

Travis Jordan

Joseph R. (Bob) Bouvier wrote:
I'm thinking I need to replace the outside vent cover with
something that seals better.

I think you've identified the problem.

Berkshire Bill

"Joseph R. (Bob) Bouvier" wrote in message
[...]

It's possible the flaps on the hood are jammed open.

Bill