Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small white flakes in fridge water (update)

After reading multiple discussions and websites about the possibility
of certain refrigerator reservoirs breaking down in chlorinated water
causing tissue-like little flakes in the chilled water, I dished out
the bucks and ordered a new coil-type reservoir and installed it.

Well, weeks later and after countless gallons having been run through,
I see no difference. Flakes.

When I took out the old reservoir, I emptied it, filled it with water,
shook it out, and inspected the water that came out. No flakes.

The flakes for me are not coming from the reservoir. I don't have or
need a filter, so they're not coming from that either.

No solution yet, but at least I know it wasn't the reservoir.

Posted to alt.home.repair

WM wrote:

Duh. Me thinks you need a filter. It will stop the flakes.

Duh. What did I tell you? I don't need a filter. This problem only
comes up with water that passes through the fridge.

Also, the water is good city water, and the flakes are flexible
ultra-thin material that doesn't dissolve in acid, so it's not hard
water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

4. Jan 13, 12:01 p

"Duh. What did I tell you? I don't need a filter. This problem only
comes up with water that passes through the fridge. "

I have town water too and I can also see white sediment in the chilled
water from my fridge, but not in a glass drawn from the sink. I
concluded it was from minerals that are settling out somehow in the
reservoir in the fridge. It's possible that the temp drop contributes
to this happening. There is definitely mineral content in the water,
as I can see a reasonable amount of white material that gets deposited
on my humidifier element on the furnace. Since you replaced the
reservoir, it's possible there is still material left in the lines that
may take some time to flush out.

If it's truly disolved minerals, then a filter may not solve it, but a
water softner should. Unfortunately, thats a lot of bucks for a glass
of water from the fridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
hiebs

It is unlikely coming from the lines, It also could be what is called
cold water slime. A bacteria that grows in ice machines, I work in the
commercial field and primarly service ice machines. Now home makers
make ice a little different. But you can get scale build up, or slime
from making ice. And water filters that remove scale build up are far
from 100 percent. Soft water is actually good to reduce scale but
contribute to slime build up. Ill take a picture of a reallly nasty
machine and post them to give a idea of what I am talking about. I
suggest you call the manfacture and ask what they suggest you can do
about youre problem. Oh just wondering do you know for a fact youre
fridge does not have a water filter installed from factory? I believe a
while back some body posted about the very same thing you are saying and
they did not know they had a filter and it was putting crud into the
water supply.

--
hiebs
hiebs's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=69

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to reverend.wallace, Jason wrote:
Wow, you can identify it as calcium just from words, and you show medical
knowledge by stating it is good for our health. You should be teaching at
Harvard.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ate-79846-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to yellowbirddog, Jason wrote:
I too have these flakes...just started noticing them after a new filter, but
they were probably there before. Like you, I have scoured the web looking for
answers and good Lord there are so many morons out there who believe they are
mechanical geniuses. Frustrating. I'm not going to bank on any of these
anonymous "experts" with something that my family is putting in their bodies.
I'll call a repairman for advice and will likely end up with a new fridge.
This one is over 15 years old anyway.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ate-79846-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Dec 2016 16:14:01 +0000, Jason wrote:

replying to yellowbirddog, Jason wrote:
I too have these flakes...

Well Jason, you're late. "yellowbirddog" died more than *TEN YEARS AGO*
due to a fatal bladder explosion. It was FILLED with little white flakes.

.. and will
likely end up with a new fridge. This one is over 15 years old anyway.

You are due. Hey, how come you know how old your fridge is but can't READ
DATES on Home Moaners Hub posts? Eh?

--
Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jason m wrote:

replying to reverend.wallace, Jason wrote:
Wow, you can identify it as calcium just from words, and you show
medical knowledge by stating it is good for our health. You should
be teaching at Harvard.

They are BLM wannabes!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 04 Dec 2016 16:14:01 +0000, Jason
m wrote:

replying to yellowbirddog, Jason wrote:
I too have these flakes...just started noticing them after a new filter, but
they were probably there before. Like you, I have scoured the web looking for
answers and good Lord there are so many morons out there who believe they are
mechanical geniuses. Frustrating. I'm not going to bank on any of these
anonymous "experts" with something that my family is putting in their bodies.
I'll call a repairman for advice and will likely end up with a new fridge.
This one is over 15 years old anyway.

My fridge is over 37 years old and working fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to yellowbirddog, Jason wrote:
I too have these flakes...just started noticing them after a new filter, but
they were probably there before. Like you, I have scoured the web looking for
answers and good Lord there are so many morons out there who believe they are
mechanical geniuses. Frustrating. I'm not going to bank on any of these
anonymous "experts" with something that my family is putting in their bodies.
I'll call a repairman for advice and will likely end up with a new fridge.
This one is over 15 years old anyway.

My fridge is over 37 years old and working fine.

Replaced an older 14 cu ft fridge with a new larger one, 18 cu ft self
defrosting. Electric dropped $10 month