Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small white flakes in fridge water (update)

It's called CALCIUM. Probably in the line to the fridge or all your
pipes. It's not harmful. In fact it's good for you.
If it really bothers you, I believe they make cartridge filters to put
in the line to the fridge, but you have t change them regularly.

==================

On 12 Jan 2006 20:35:32 -0800, wrote:

After reading multiple discussions and websites about the possibility
of certain refrigerator reservoirs breaking down in chlorinated water
causing tissue-like little flakes in the chilled water, I dished out
the bucks and ordered a new coil-type reservoir and installed it.

Well, weeks later and after countless gallons having been run through,
I see no difference. Flakes.

When I took out the old reservoir, I emptied it, filled it with water,
shook it out, and inspected the water that came out. No flakes.

The flakes for me are not coming from the reservoir. I don't have or
need a filter, so they're not coming from that either.

No solution yet, but at least I know it wasn't the reservoir.