Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small white flakes in fridge water (update)

concluded it was from minerals that are settling out somehow in the
reservoir in the fridge. It's possible that the temp drop contributes
to this happening. There is definitely mineral content in the water,
as I can see a reasonable amount of white material that gets deposited
on my humidifier element on the furnace. Since you replaced the
reservoir, it's possible there is still material left in the lines that
may take some time to flush out.

If it's truly disolved minerals, then a filter may not solve it, but a
water softner should. Unfortunately, thats a lot of bucks for a glass
of water from the fridge.

I find it impossible to believe that it is anything of mineral origin
since, as I mentioned, the ultra-thin flakes are very flexible and will
not dissolve in acid. I suspect bad tubing elsewhere in the fridge,
but I'm not going to tear everything apart to fix it. I just wanted
folks to know that the reservoir theory may be wrong or only partially
correct.