Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small white flakes in fridge water (update)

4. Jan 13, 12:01 p

"Duh. What did I tell you? I don't need a filter. This problem only
comes up with water that passes through the fridge. "

I have town water too and I can also see white sediment in the chilled
water from my fridge, but not in a glass drawn from the sink. I
concluded it was from minerals that are settling out somehow in the
reservoir in the fridge. It's possible that the temp drop contributes
to this happening. There is definitely mineral content in the water,
as I can see a reasonable amount of white material that gets deposited
on my humidifier element on the furnace. Since you replaced the
reservoir, it's possible there is still material left in the lines that
may take some time to flush out.

If it's truly disolved minerals, then a filter may not solve it, but a
water softner should. Unfortunately, thats a lot of bucks for a glass
of water from the fridge.