Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Default How much to pay for labor for 2 hours to move something down some stairs?

I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

Debends if he has a green card no card $10 hr card $20 hr, plus Lunch and
a six pack of Corona ( no card no Corona)

Posted to alt.home.repair
siralfred

hire pianomovers!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob in NH

Its 2 hours to Mexico from New Jersey?? lol

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

No need for a Mexican. Any crack head can do it for about 20 bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here in KY, you can get a _crank_ head any hour of the night or day on
the wekends for about $5 or $10. 2fer $20. On the weekdays though, you
won't be able to wake him up. So, if you get a crank head, get done and
get him out before he gets sleepy.

Tom in KY, Up tonight watching my shop and my vehicles.Da** crank-heads!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

But be sure to blind-fold the crack head on the way in and out, so he can't
come back and rob you.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

No need for a Mexican. Any crack head can do it for about 20 bucks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

dean wrote:
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement
stairs. Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

The best advice might be the piano movers.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Dec 2005 20:45:46 -0800, "dean" wrote:

I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

When my wife was in labor they charged her about $8000 at the
hospital.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Don't worry about how much to pay someone. Worry about finding someone who
is willing to do it. Then ask them how much they want and pay that amount.
Any professional who has the equipment, is going to charge more, and will be
insured. If you find a couple of "Mexicans" or high school or college
students, make sure you're home-owner's insurance covers property damage
and/or injury.

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
George

dean wrote:
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

You could use the wally system. $6 for the first hour and the second
hour is free.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Kearney

dean wrote:
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement
stairs. Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb.

You might want to make sure the stairs can hold that weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

It doesn't matter, because he's going down anyway. lol

"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
news
dean wrote:
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement
stairs. Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb.

You might want to make sure the stairs can hold that weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:56:47 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

dean wrote:
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement
stairs. Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

The best advice might be the piano movers.

Wouldn't they be excessively skilled? and thus more expensive than
necessary.

Put the money into a hand truck and then your wife can help you.

(Actually I asked my neibhgor to help me lift one square of my
sidewalk. He came over with gloves, rubber dishwashing gloves! I
already had a pair of leather work gloves for him, and he seemed to
have no trouble with his half of the load, but whenever I brought up
putting it back, or lifting the last one, he said Yes, but never
showed up. (I got another friend, who had to drive over, to help me,
and when I needed to do the same piece again, I learned how to use 8
2x4's, 6 fulcrums, and a 4x4 ram to do it by myself. Not lifting it
to upright, but 6 inches and using the 7 foot 2x4's to "row" the slab
to the side.

I'm sorry I don't know prices, but if they say 20, and if that is
fair, pay 30 and then you won't have to worry that you cheated
someone. I one time in Guatamala, when I had a budge of 3 dollars a
day for everything, hotel, food, camera film, dickered with a young
Indian woman for something she had woven, a listone, and she finally
sold it for 50cents or a dollar less than she wanted. I've felt bad
about this since about 2 years later and ever since. I could have
exceeded my budget that one month, and in the long run, I never would
have noticed it.

Getting it down stairs is a lot easier than moving it upstairs. Or
have you broken the other one into pieces.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Dec 2005 20:45:46 -0800, "dean" wrote:

I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

Can you speak spanish?
Lets hear you speak (or type).this.

Hey homey dude, move the f*cking furnace and I'll give you $20 and a
six pack of Corona.

Personally, I'd hire a Rushin guy, The job always gets done faster
when you're Rushin......

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

I got a parking ticket earlier this year in Princeton for absolutely no
reason at all. I hope you never get it down!

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

mm wrote:

Actually I asked my neibhgor to help me lift one square of my
sidewalk. He came over with gloves, rubber dishwashing gloves! I
already had a pair of leather work gloves for him, and he seemed to
have no trouble with his half of the load, but whenever I brought up
putting it back, or lifting the last one, he said Yes, but never
showed up.

An example of the Law of Conservation of Favors. Don't use them until
you really need them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 31 Dec 2005 11:28:32 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

mm wrote:

Actually I asked my neibhgor to help me lift one square of my
sidewalk. He came over with gloves, rubber dishwashing gloves! I
already had a pair of leather work gloves for him, and he seemed to
have no trouble with his half of the load, but whenever I brought up
putting it back, or lifting the last one, he said Yes, but never
showed up.

An example of the Law of Conservation of Favors. Don't use them until
you really need them.

You're absolutely right. He looked big and strong to me, like this
would be no effort at all. The rubber gloves he brought were a real
surprise.

I thought we would do progressively more favors for each other, but
they'll have to be at the less phyical level, like taking in the
other's newspaper when he's out of town.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...
dean wrote:
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement
stairs. Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

The best advice might be the piano movers.

at least it's sane advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't bring anybody into your house. Buy 400ft of rope, a come along, 4
sets of pulley blocks and an appliance cart. Knock yourself out.

OR,

Build an elaborate web of block and tackle. Tell your wife you can
probably do it yourself and she will undoubtedly call her pool-boy
boyfriend and he'll bring 4 or 5 friends and you might not have to do
anything.

Tom in KY, I've already got 400ft of rope, a come-along, 5 or 6 sets of
pulley blocks and an appliance cart. I wonder if my wife has a pool-boy
boyfriend who would help me to run myself over with the appliance cart?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

He doesn't need to do all that. It's not at the bottom, it's at the TOP of
the stairs. All he has to do is give it a little shove, and down it goes.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't bring anybody into your house. Buy 400ft of rope, a come along, 4
sets of pulley blocks and an appliance cart. Knock yourself out.

OR,

Build an elaborate web of block and tackle. Tell your wife you can
probably do it yourself and she will undoubtedly call her pool-boy
boyfriend and he'll bring 4 or 5 friends and you might not have to do
anything.

Tom in KY, I've already got 400ft of rope, a come-along, 5 or 6 sets of
pulley blocks and an appliance cart. I wonder if my wife has a pool-boy
boyfriend who would help me to run myself over with the appliance cart?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

dean wrote:
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement stairs.
Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

I don't think you have done enough planning. At least it doesn't show
in your post. Just HOW are you going to move it? 2 guys are not going
to move a load like that without mechanical assistance of some type. I
helped a neighbor move a computer printing press (big mother that just
fit through the door) into his basement. It took 3 of us, a
come-along, ramp built of 2x stock and a heavy duty rolling platform to
get it in there and in place. I don't think it weighed 400 pounds but
probably didn't miss by much.

If you do hire someone, pay about double your states minimum wage and
be SURE your home owners insurance is payed up and will cover the job.

Harry K