Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default How much to pay for labor for 2 hours to move something down some stairs?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:56:47 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

dean wrote:
I've got thie furnace firebox sitting at the top of my basement
stairs. Its about 2x3x4' and weighs around 4-500 lb. I need to go find
(probably a mexican) guy to help me move it down the stairs.

I have no idea how much to offer or ask! I live in NJ in the poncy
Princeton area. I'd drive them to my house, move it, and drive them
back again, max 2 hours total of their time.

TIA for any tips!

Dean

The best advice might be the piano movers.

Wouldn't they be excessively skilled? and thus more expensive than
necessary.

Put the money into a hand truck and then your wife can help you.

(Actually I asked my neibhgor to help me lift one square of my
sidewalk. He came over with gloves, rubber dishwashing gloves! I
already had a pair of leather work gloves for him, and he seemed to
have no trouble with his half of the load, but whenever I brought up
putting it back, or lifting the last one, he said Yes, but never
showed up. (I got another friend, who had to drive over, to help me,
and when I needed to do the same piece again, I learned how to use 8
2x4's, 6 fulcrums, and a 4x4 ram to do it by myself. Not lifting it
to upright, but 6 inches and using the 7 foot 2x4's to "row" the slab
to the side.

I'm sorry I don't know prices, but if they say 20, and if that is
fair, pay 30 and then you won't have to worry that you cheated
someone. I one time in Guatamala, when I had a budge of 3 dollars a
day for everything, hotel, food, camera film, dickered with a young
Indian woman for something she had woven, a listone, and she finally
sold it for 50cents or a dollar less than she wanted. I've felt bad
about this since about 2 years later and ever since. I could have
exceeded my budget that one month, and in the long run, I never would
have noticed it.

Getting it down stairs is a lot easier than moving it upstairs. Or
have you broken the other one into pieces.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.