Posted to alt.home.repair
Motocrossed

Default Dishwasher foolishness?

We are the 3rd owners in this 8 year old development house. I have
never liked the standard builder issued dishwasher, it is very loud,
you have to excessively rinse dishes before putting in machine and the
racks are all chipped (rubberized coating peeling off). I really had
no intention of replacing unitl I came across a $580 Consumer reports
top rated Kenmore for $245. Has all the features, adjustable rack,
water shoots from back so more space on bottom rack and has built in
food grinder disposer and is rated very quiet. I bought it and my wife
freaked out, said ours still working and I am wasting money. I tried
to explain that because it is energy star complient it will pay for
itself in less then two years with the energy savings and if I waited
for it to break down, I would end up paying top dollar to replace it.
I said I was being pro-active, she says I am foolish, am I?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nexus7

Motocrossed wrote:
no intention of replacing unitl I came across a $580 Consumer reports
top rated Kenmore for $245. Has all the features, adjustable rack,
water shoots from back so more space on bottom rack and has built in
food grinder disposer and is rated very quiet. I bought it and my wife
freaked out, said ours still working and I am wasting money. I tried

Ya gotta have your toys man.

Sure, it may use less energy, and be quieter, but the most important
thing is new toys.

Have you hooked it up, is it really quieter?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Motocrossed" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought it and my wife
freaked out, said ours still working and I am wasting money. I tried
to explain that because it is energy star complient it will pay for
itself in less then two years with the energy savings and if I waited
for it to break down, I would end up paying top dollar to replace it.
I said I was being pro-active, she says I am foolish, am I?

You sound like an astute consumer to me. You have a second rate machine
that does a poor job on the dishes and want to replace it with a superior
model. And at a bargain price to boot. Most wives would want to jump your
bones after doing that for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Motocrossed wrote:
[...]

You p*ssed off your wife, no? How bright is that?

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

[...]

Read this group for a few days, and you will see the acronym, SWMBO. She Who
Must Be Obeyed. In the case of an impulse purchase of a dishwasher, the
answer is probably somewhere in the middle- I doubt the payback will be as
short as a couple of years, but the PITA factor of a flood and a emergency
purchase, and perhaps an overtime plumber (if it turns out to be too weird
to switch out yourself), are worth something too. But all that is water
under the dam at this point- if it was on sale you probably can't return it
anyway, especially if it is uncrated or has had water through it. So grovel
a bit, say 'Yes Dear', install it, and start leaving catalogs laying around
for stuff she likes. (And for future reference, most females regard the
kitchen as 'their' space, even if they hate cooking. Old social traditions
like that die hard. She is likely mad because she wasn't involved, as much
as about the money.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

Oh...I thought this was going to be about cooking salmon in the dishwasher.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

you are wise for the repairing the noise problem, but must learn sound
and hearing is a guy thing. like dolby surround sound being better than
the tv speakers, audio for the home is your responsibility and so is
repairing the dishwasher. so make it up to her with a high volume
adjustable showerhead and a 75 gallon hot water tank for the family if
you can fit it into the utility room.
that will set her home comfort level up while you shop for that new
bigger energy star sony tv you really didn't need to replace just yet.

-bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The price was good and you hated the old one but it wont pay back from
energy usage in less water used . It may in fact cost you alot more to
run if what is possible, the old unit did not clean because it did not
electricaly preheat the water the new one does, so up may go your
electric bill. Water is cheap in usage compared to electricly preheating
water. Something to think about in comparisons.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 04:35:55 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

Read this group for a few days, and you will see the acronym, SWMBO. She Who
Must Be Obeyed. In the case of an impulse purchase of a dishwasher, the
answer is probably somewhere in the middle- I doubt the payback will be as
short as a couple of years, but the PITA factor of a flood and a emergency
purchase,

I agree with your post, especiallly the last line, but I can't imagine
the lack of a dishwasher to be an emergency.

and perhaps an overtime plumber (if it turns out to be too weird
to switch out yourself), are worth something too. But all that is water
under the dam at this point- if it was on sale you probably can't return it
anyway, especially if it is uncrated or has had water through it. So grovel
a bit, say 'Yes Dear', install it, and start leaving catalogs laying around
for stuff she likes. (And for future reference, most females regard the
kitchen as 'their' space, even if they hate cooking. Old social traditions
like that die hard. She is likely mad because she wasn't involved, as much
as about the money.)

aem sends...

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

scroll down this page to the table with the various noise sound levels
at:
http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2005/113-1/focus.html

i was only once was lucky enough to buy a dishwasher that was quieter
than the microwave oven. if the dishwasher shoppers don't hear the
machine running in the store connected to water they won't really be
able to compare it. the machines rated with decibels or sones are very
few, so shop wisely. we have a year old cheaper bosch and it's noisier
at 58db than a ten year old german made ge monogram no longer made
there. there were newer bosch models that were quieter in the $1000
price range than the $500 model by about 10db. the appliance companies
and ownerships and country of origins are always changing.
for appliance repairs also see:
http://fixitnow.com/wp/category/dishwasher-repair/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mm" wrote in message

I agree with your post, especiallly the last line, but I can't imagine
the lack of a dishwasher to be an emergency.

I guess it would not rank up there with a fire, but in some houses, it would
be close

When an appliance breaks, people will often try to replace it quickly and
not take the time to do the research most of us would like to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The price was good and you hated the old one but it wont pay back from
energy usage in less water used . It may in fact cost you alot more to
run if what is possible, the old unit did not clean because it did not
electricaly preheat the water the new one does, so up may go your
electric bill. Water is cheap in usage compared to electricly
preheating
water. Something to think about in comparisons.

The new energy star ones definitely use less water and electricity. I
have a GE Profile and it does not use electricity to heat the water
during wash cycles, unless you specifically select it by pushing the
extra heat button. However, I do agree that the payback time for a
$250 savings is gonna be a long time, a lot longer than a couple years.

However, if the old one was not doing a good job and you didn't like
it, that's reason enough to replace. I recently replaced by 17 year
old one that was still working because it looked like crap and I saw a
great deal on a new one. Very happy with it too, it's super quiedt
compared to the old one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , ameijers
says...

"Motocrossed" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Well, I know a co-worker who does small engine repair on the side. His wife got
him an air compressor because he had been talking about one. He was a little
miffed and it got exchanged at Sears. So there you go.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"if the dishwasher shoppers don't hear the
machine running in the store connected to water they won't really be
able to compare it. "

Then it must be pretty hard to compare them, because I've never seen
them hooked up for comparison. It's very rare to even see one hooked
up at all, no? I can recall seeing one demo, maybe at Sears, long
time ago. But that was one machine and no way to really compare it to
any other.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Then it must be pretty hard to compare them, because I've never seen
them hooked up for comparison. It's very rare to even see one hooked
up at all, no? I can recall seeing one demo, maybe at Sears, long
time ago. But that was one machine and no way to really compare it to
any other.

Maytag stores. Everything is hooked up and ready for demonstration. You can
even bring your dirty dishes and give it a go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
Motocrossed wrote:
[...]

In such disputes, the woman is always right. Buy her some expensive
jewlery to placate her.