Posted to alt.home.repair
Muvin Gruvin

Default brewing coffee

wow so many opinions as to how to make a cup of coffee.
I use a simple Melita one cup cone...with paper filter......2 tbsps per
cup of coffee.
Brands of coffee vary greatly. My tastes prefer Torrefazzione Brand.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Jerry Avins

J. Cameron Davis wrote:
How about that instant Sanka? Now that's coffee!!

I must concede that instant coffee is a beverage, but it isn't what I
call coffee. When offered coffee in stranger's houses where I can't
politely ask what kind, I opt for tea.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Jerry Avins" wrote in message
news
J. Cameron Davis wrote:
How about that instant Sanka? Now that's coffee!!

I must concede that instant coffee is a beverage, but it isn't what I
call coffee. When offered coffee in stranger's houses where I can't
politely ask what kind, I opt for tea.

Now that's a whole nutha story. Don't get me started. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Muvin Gruvin" wrote in message
wow so many opinions as to how to make a cup of coffee.
I use a simple Melita one cup cone...with paper filter......2 tbsps per
cup of coffee.
Brands of coffee vary greatly. My tastes prefer Torrefazzione Brand.

My way to do it exactly, but I like Starbucks Breakfast Blend or House
Blend. The little Melita is handy, and since I drink only one strong mug,
and no one else drinks coffee at my house, an efficient way to do it.

Steve

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
GCFah

Same as I have heard. Never use boiling hot water (212) keep at 200 above
that the bitter oils break down, but some like that bitter flavor, our
McDonald's make coffee that has a bitter burnt taste and curls your lips.

--
George C Fahrlender
On-Location Services
"BiffNightly" wrote in message
In my 22 plus years in the business of selling gourmet coffee's, I have
always been taught to brew coffee at a tempurature of 200ş F (+ or Minus
5ş). If the tempurature falls below 195ş, you will not extract all of the
desirable oils from the grounds and end up with a very underdeveloped cup
of coffee. If the temp is too high, it will start to extract the
undesireable & bitter oils from the beans. (hence the lousy flavor of
perked coffee).

Doug
"PanHandler" wrote in message
.. .

"Sawney Beane" wrote in message

I heated two cups to a boil, stirred in case there were cold spots,
and brought it to a boil again. I poured it into my French press,
which is thin glass, from about four inches higher. In the stream,
my probe read 206, which would be 201 F. Pouring took three or
four seconds. Immediately, the water in the press read 197, which
would be 192 F.

Why the 5ş discrepancy? Also, your elevation above sea level determines
the boiling point. It's 212ş at sea level, and becomes lower with
elevation.

I figured the best way to keep brewing water near boiling was to
boil it in a pan on medium heat, turn off the electric burner, stir
in the grounds, and cover. I tried it this morning. I found the
flavor similar to that from my aunt's stainless percolator.

Percolated coffee ain't the best by any means.

Later I tried my usual method with pyrex, a plastic filter, and a
ceramic cup. The coffee had the delicious nutty flavor I'm used
to. Somewhere I've read that if you've been cutting onions,
rubbing your hands on stainless steel will deodorize them because
the nickel is a catalyst. I think contact with stainless steel
makes coffee less tasty to me. That may include the screen in my
French press.

I've never looked into that concerning coffee, but I do know plastic
louses it up.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Steve B

Just an aside to this ..........

A way that I like to make coffee that brews a good cup ..........

Boil the amount of water you want for x number of cups.

Remove from heat, and let stand 1 minute.

Throw in the amount of grounds you like for x cups.

Let it steep like tea for about five minutes. You want the grounds to sink.
Stirring helps.

Filter through Melita cup filter and paper filter into individual cups.

Nuke to the right heat.

Works for me.

Steve

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Sawney Beane

Steve B wrote:

Just an aside to this ..........

A way that I like to make coffee that brews a good cup ..........

Boil the amount of water you want for x number of cups.

Remove from heat, and let stand 1 minute.

Throw in the amount of grounds you like for x cups.

Let it steep like tea for about five minutes. You want the grounds to sink.
Stirring helps.

Filter through Melita cup filter and paper filter into individual cups.

Nuke to the right heat.

Works for me.

Steve

What kind of pan do you use? I'll have to experiment more, but it
seems to me my stainless pan took something very enjoyable from the flavor.

A microwave is a fairly quick way to boil a cup, and it's on a
timer in case something interrupts me. There is a problem.
Yesterday my water blew up in the oven. Now I know why experts
recommend keeping the oven door closed.

How can I prevent it in the future? They say superheating can
occur in a glass container that has never been scrubbed, but this
cup has been scrubbed many times in the last twenty years. Should I
use a plastic cup scuffed with sandpaper?

I think I'll need to raise the boiling point well above brewing
temperature. I could pressurize the kitchen, but that would be a
nuisance if the phone rang in the next room. How about adding a
tablespoon of salt for to each cup of water? Would antifreeze work
better? I suppose the MSDS would tell how much can safely be drunk
in coffee.
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Joseph Littleshoes

Edward Reid wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:34:32 GMT, Joseph LIttleshoes wrote:

'camp fire' coffee, just boiling the coffee grounds in a cooking pot

with water, after it comes to a boil and simmers for a minute i take

it
off the heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes and then pour.

A few days ago I wanted a cup of coffee ... pulled out the Folger's
decaf
that's been in the cupboard since last winter. Used double the amount
since
it was so old. Put it in a bleached paper filter in a plastic cone
over a
double-insulated plastic mug. Boiled the water and poured. It was
awful.

"Well..." he typed hesitantly, even fresh instant decaf is awful, even
cafinated instant coffee is all but undrinkable.

I never liked using a plastic filter cone or the paper filters either.
I am arrogant enough to think they can be tasted in the finished coffee,
alter its flavour in a bad way. Which is why i had pretty much settled
on the french press. In Berkeley one can get a glazed ceramic filter
holder made in quantity by local crafts people and sold at the Telegraph
avenue venors market.

The French press make a decent cup of coffee but i kept breaking them.
I remember as a child me Mater using a clear pyrex type glass
'percolator'. I have had as little luck finding an aluminium or steel
'percolator' as i have a glass one. But it was made with much thicker
glass and its size & shape makes it more stable than a French press, i
would like to get one as i am not against the concept of 'percolators'
but feel they must be carefully monitored to insure the best results.

However a 4 cup steel sauce pan works just fine. I have also been lucky
enough to stumble upon a 2 dollar a pound ($2.00 U.S. per pound) ground
coffee. 8 - 15 dollars per pound makes the individual cup un -
enjoyable for me. I only use between 2 ? 2 1/2 lbws. per month.

This particular coffee is a Mexican commercial product, but contains
coffee mostly from South America and Vietnam.

Called "Montecito" it is labelled "alimento de calidad" and is "Cafe
Molido - espresso de tostado oscuro" i never paid any attention to the
idea that it is labelled "espresso", in big letters it says "Ground
Coffee" and in smaller letters beneath "dark roast espresso".

But here i get confused, i thought a cup of espresso coffee could be
made with any type of coffee, that it was the process by which the cup
is made rather than what it is made of that defines it. Though i am
aware of coffee ground specifically to be used with an espresso maker,
ground extra fine iirc, which the Cafe Molido is not, rather it is an
ordinary drip grind. Its even got a 'money back' guarantee printed on
the package

"Garantia Incondicional de Montecito;

Si or alguna razon usted no esta completamente satisfecho, devuelva este
producto para reemplazo o reembolso completo."

I think it is a excellent product but i am easily pleased.
---
JL

More seriously, I read a couple of research articles a few years ago
which
demonstrated that coffee not filtered though paper could raise blood
cholesterol levels. Not very much, maybe ten points (mg/dl???) for
someone
who drank five cups a day. Not significant unless you drink a lot of
coffee
AND have a cholesterol problem. The paper was the significant thing;
apparently it absorbs some oil that can raise cholesterol level.

Edward

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Nomdeplume1

Maybe I'm getting a bit elitist, but I can't stand instant coffee in any
incarnation. And factory ground leaves me flat. Give me whole bean,
that's the way to go, and put it through a "gold" permanent type filter.
Why the filter you ask? To me, every paper filter leaves an ugly
chemical taste to the coffee. And did you know that formaldehyde is used
to bleach the paper? Thanks, but I will pass on the paper filters.

As for the coffee, well, here things can get interesting. Sumatra
Mendhaling is about the finest, IMHO, but Kenya AA is about equal, or
maybe a true Kona, and even a good organic Columbian is acceptable.

Keep the beans in an air-tight container, and grind just enough for that
day. This adds to the morning ritual, and brings a bit of pleasure as
well.

As for water, I use tap water that has been sitting in the fridge in a
covered container at least overnight. This allows the water to off-gas,
thereby removing any chlorine bitterness or other overtones. And even if
I couldn't tell the difference, my dog knows the difference, and she
doesn't like to drink the water out of the tap, preferring the fridge
water, and their noses are far more sensitive than ours.

Just my 2c.

news : J. Cameron Davis wrote:
: How about that instant Sanka? Now that's coffee!!
:
: ...
:
: I must concede that instant coffee is a beverage, but it isn't what I
: call coffee. When offered coffee in stranger's houses where I can't
: politely ask what kind, I opt for tea.
:
: Jerry
: --
: Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
:
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Jerry Avins

Nomdeplume1 wrote:

Keep the beans in an air-tight container, and grind just enough for that
day. This adds to the morning ritual, and brings a bit of pleasure as
well.

In my first apartment in married life (1957), we had a hopper-type
coffee mill mounted on the kitchen wall. The neighbor's kitchen was on
the other side of that wall. Ann invited the neighbor in for coffee as
we were moving out two years later. When she started to grind the beans,
the neighbor exclaimed, "OH! I wondered why you sharpened pencils every
morning!"

As for water, I use tap water that has been sitting in the fridge in a
covered container at least overnight. This allows the water to off-gas,
thereby removing any chlorine bitterness or other overtones. And even if
I couldn't tell the difference, my dog knows the difference, and she
doesn't like to drink the water out of the tap, preferring the fridge
water, and their noses are far more sensitive than ours.

The quickest way to degas water is to boil it. I keep drinking water in
the fridge, but I just let it boil an extra half minute for coffee.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to alt.home.repair, alt.cooking-chat
Greg Pasquariello

"Nomdeplume1" wrote in message

As for water, I use tap water that has been sitting in the fridge in a
covered container at least overnight. This allows the water to off-gas,
thereby removing any chlorine bitterness or other overtones. And even if
I couldn't tell the difference, my dog knows the difference, and she
doesn't like to drink the water out of the tap, preferring the fridge
water, and their noses are far more sensitive than ours.

My dog drinks right out of the toilet... What does that say?

Regards
-Greg Pasquariello
---
Fair Pacific Bamboo Flooring
http://www.fairpacific.com
720-227-9135

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.cooking-chat
Levon

My dog drinks right out of the toilet... What does that say?

you should give him a step ladder to drink from the toilet tank?

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"Nomdeplume1" wrote in message
Maybe I'm getting a bit elitist, but I can't stand instant coffee in any
incarnation. And factory ground leaves me flat. Give me whole bean,
that's the way to go

As for the coffee, well, here things can get interesting. Sumatra
Mendhaling is about the finest, IMHO, but Kenya AA is about equal, or
maybe a true Kona, and even a good organic Columbian is acceptable.

Bull****. Indonesian is the best.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Nomdeplume1

I'll have to take your word for that, as I have never tried Indonesian.
In my experience though, Sumatra is still #1.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
:
: "Nomdeplume1" wrote in message
: news:yMawf.362$GJ4.77@trndny08...
: Maybe I'm getting a bit elitist, but I can't stand instant coffee in
any
: incarnation. And factory ground leaves me flat. Give me whole bean,
: that's the way to go
:
: As for the coffee, well, here things can get interesting. Sumatra
: Mendhaling is about the finest, IMHO, but Kenya AA is about equal,
or
: maybe a true Kona, and even a good organic Columbian is acceptable.
:
:
:
: Bull****. Indonesian is the best.
:
:

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Jerry Avins

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Nomdeplume1" wrote in message

Maybe I'm getting a bit elitist, but I can't stand instant coffee in any
incarnation. And factory ground leaves me flat. Give me whole bean,
that's the way to go

As for the coffee, well, here things can get interesting. Sumatra
Mendhaling is about the finest, IMHO, but Kenya AA is about equal, or
maybe a true Kona, and even a good organic Columbian is acceptable.

Bull****. Indonesian is the best.

Fight! Fight! (Who will sweep up the feathers?)

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
smithfarms pure kona

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:18:01 -0500, Jerry Avins wrote:

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Nomdeplume1" wrote in message

Maybe I'm getting a bit elitist, but I can't stand instant coffee

in any
incarnation. And factory ground leaves me flat. Give me whole bean,
that's the way to go

As for the coffee, well, here things can get interesting. Sumatra
Mendhaling is about the finest, IMHO, but Kenya AA is about equal,

or
maybe a true Kona, and even a good organic Columbian is acceptable.

Bull****. Indonesian is the best.

Fight! Fight! (Who will sweep up the feathers?)

Jerry

I think the funniest part is that Sumatra is very close, in
geographical proximity, to Indonesia. Honestly, I think Sumatra is
in Indonesia.

aloha,
Thunder, grower of great Kona
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Seth Goodman

In article , on Sun, 08 Jan
2006 21:46:29 GMT, smithfarms pure kona wrote:

Honestly, I think Sumatra is
in Indonesia.

You think right! ;-)

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

Oscar_Lives wrote:
[...]

You're pretty damn close to spamming there, Mr. Ho.

But you DO have good coffee....

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair

More than right. Sumatra is the largest island in the world and makes up
MOST of Indonesia.
"Seth Goodman" wrote in message
.net...
In article , on Sun, 08 Jan
2006 21:46:29 GMT, smithfarms pure kona wrote:

Honestly, I think Sumatra is
in Indonesia.

You think right! ;-)

--
Seth Goodman

More than right. Sumatra is the largest island in the world and makes up
MOST of Indonesia. I don't recall being impressed by the coffee, though.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair

"k" wrote in message
ink.net...
More than right. Sumatra is the largest island in the world and makes up
MOST of Indonesia.
"Seth Goodman" wrote in message
.net...
In article , on Sun, 08 Jan
2006 21:46:29 GMT, smithfarms pure kona wrote:

Honestly, I think Sumatra is
in Indonesia.

You think right! ;-)

--
Seth Goodman

More than right. Sumatra is the largest island in the world and makes up
MOST of Indonesia. I don't recall being impressed by the coffee, though.

Let me correct and slap myself. I was talking and typing, which I probably
shouldn't do. Sumatra is the SIXTH largest island in the world, hardly the
largest. It's the largest island in Indonesia, which is what I meant to
say.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Robert Reznikoff

I think Jamaican Blue Mountain is the best, but who can afford it?

I got rid of a previous coffee maker because of the poor taste of the coffee
it made. Eventually I used a swimming pool test kit to test the water and
found it was so full of chlorine that I wouldn't even want to swim in it. I
went to distilled water and it soved the problem. I now use a Cuisinart
Grind and Brew coffee maker. Its makes the best coffee. I switch between
the flavored coffees and Columbian Supreme. The Cuisinart first grinds the
beans and the grounds fall into a funnel with filter paper, the water is
heated and drops through the coffee. One simple operation. I prefer the
paper filter as the gold filter allows to many grains to fall through.

"Seth Goodman" wrote in message
.net...
In article , on Sun, 08 Jan
2006 21:46:29 GMT, smithfarms pure kona wrote:

Honestly, I think Sumatra is
in Indonesia.

You think right! ;-)

--
Seth Goodman

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Levon

i grind my own 8oclock beans

i stopped putting cream in my coffee...now i use a tad of sugar
it actually tastes much much better

cream is for kids and other activities

"Robert Reznikoff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Kate Dicey

Kathy wrote:

Sumatra is the largest Indonesioan Island and I'm with you and the
Jamaican Blue Mountain, the last time I priced it, two years ago, it
was going $30 a 1/2 pound, way way way out of my range.

Kathy G.

Ouch! Whittards have Sumatra Blue Lingtong for £6.70 for 500g.

http://www.whittard.co.uk/ProductDet...nguage =en-GB

The Jamaica Blue Mountain *is* a tad pricey, at £10.20 for 125g

http://www.whittard.co.uk/ProductDet...ngu age=en-GB

One of my favourites is Elephant Ear, which is rather seasonal... I
like my coffee medium roast but brewed strong enough to creosote a fence!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Kathy

Oscar_Lives wrote:
"Nomdeplume1" wrote in message

Maybe I'm getting a bit elitist, but I can't stand instant coffee in any
incarnation. And factory ground leaves me flat. Give me whole bean,
that's the way to go

As for the coffee, well, here things can get interesting. Sumatra
Mendhaling is about the finest, IMHO, but Kenya AA is about equal, or
maybe a true Kona, and even a good organic Columbian is acceptable.

Bull****. Indonesian is the best.

Fight! Fight! (Who will sweep up the feathers?)

Jerry

Chuckling I don't know about sweeping of the feathers but I will enjoy
the Smatran! Sumatran Manderling is my favorite. Its, Harst, Dark,
and perfect for someone who was raised on Air Force (US) style stength
coffee. My folks didn't grind there own, it was 8 O'Clock all the
time but I found the joy of freshly ground coffee beens on my own and
got me a grinder.

Kathy G.

Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Joseph Littleshoes

Oscar_Lives wrote:

[...]

My first exposure to coffee was 'Navy' coffee and that was enough to put
me off coffee for another 5 or so years (i was such an innocent i did
not know enough to put milk and sugar in the cup) till i moved to
Berkeley, and a friend bought me a 'bianco' at the cafe med.

As for instant coffee i will take a cup of 'Medalia de Oro' instant
esspreso and enjoy it, but most instant coffee isn't worth drinking IMO.
---
JL
Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Nomdeplume1

I have to say that is one of the funniest descriptions of coffee I have
ever read! Creosote a fence... LOL!

Nomdeplume1

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
: Kathy wrote:
:
:
[...]
: Kate XXXXXX R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
: Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
: http://www.katedicey.co.uk
: Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Need help with Mr. Coffee machine Al Kondo Electronics Repair 4 December 21st 05 07:11 PM
Problem with Mr. Coffee maker... Please help Al Kondo Home Repair 0 December 17th 05 03:46 PM
Coffee Cliff Metalworking 18 September 3rd 05 06:17 AM
Black & Decker Coffee Maker cuts on by itself (defective timer?) rlwillis Home Repair 3 May 5th 05 04:33 AM
My $11 coffee table Bubba Woodworking 10 July 15th 03 11:49 PM