Posted to alt.cooking-chat,alt.home.repair
Sawney Beane

Default brewing coffee

Steve B wrote:

Just an aside to this ..........

A way that I like to make coffee that brews a good cup ..........

Boil the amount of water you want for x number of cups.

Remove from heat, and let stand 1 minute.

Throw in the amount of grounds you like for x cups.

Let it steep like tea for about five minutes. You want the grounds to sink.
Stirring helps.

Filter through Melita cup filter and paper filter into individual cups.

Nuke to the right heat.

Works for me.

Steve

What kind of pan do you use? I'll have to experiment more, but it
seems to me my stainless pan took something very enjoyable from the flavor.

A microwave is a fairly quick way to boil a cup, and it's on a
timer in case something interrupts me. There is a problem.
Yesterday my water blew up in the oven. Now I know why experts
recommend keeping the oven door closed.

How can I prevent it in the future? They say superheating can
occur in a glass container that has never been scrubbed, but this
cup has been scrubbed many times in the last twenty years. Should I
use a plastic cup scuffed with sandpaper?

I think I'll need to raise the boiling point well above brewing
temperature. I could pressurize the kitchen, but that would be a
nuisance if the phone rang in the next room. How about adding a
tablespoon of salt for to each cup of water? Would antifreeze work
better? I suppose the MSDS would tell how much can safely be drunk
in coffee.