Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Al Kondo

Default Need help with Mr. Coffee machine

I have a Mr. Coffee brewing machine. It is a PRX33 4198 model. The
machine has the following selections for brewing coffee: 1) auto
start, 2) on 3) 1-4 4) Clean. These selections are made by pushing
the select button until the one desired has its light turned on next
to it.

Its current problem is that it no longer seems to work. The digital
clock shows the time, which indicates that it is getting electricity.
The selection button works for only two of the selections: 1) 1-4 cups
and 2) Clean. When either of these selections are made, nothing
happens. In other words, no water from the reservior flows to the
container.

Is there any way I can get the machine to work only on an "on-off"
basis?? I would like to bypass all of the complicated stuff and just
brew coffee in the simple way. We actually have an old fashion
electric percolater coffee maker. I just want this as backup.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Al Kondo wrote:
[...]

Don't bypass anything, the "complicated stuff" might be essential for
safe operation of the machine. I'm not familiar with this machine, but
the problem could be something simple, is there any sort of interlock
switch, like to ensure a carafe is in place?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

These usually have a circuit breaker/fuse that interrupts the power if
the temperature climbes too high. It is a safety device, usually spot
welded to the heating element. I would throw the unit away rather than
risk a fire by fixing it.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie

In article , **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**
wrote:

These usually have a circuit breaker/fuse that interrupts the power if
the temperature climbes too high. It is a safety device, usually spot
welded to the heating element. I would throw the unit away rather than
risk a fire by fixing it.

Al & T-R-E-G-

I had a water purifier that had a thermal fuse open up. Although these
fuses (also called a thermal cut-off) are meant to prevent a fire, they
sometimes open due to age. As long as you can determine their rated
temperature, it should be safe to replace them. Using a magnifying glass,
look for a rating printed on the body. It might be in either Centigrade
or Farenheit.

I found a replacement at Radio Shack, where they had two or three
different temperatures. They are also available from NTE.

Since heat will cause them to open, you can't solder them easily. The
environment where they exist is also bad for solder connections.
Therefore crimping may be the best option unless you have spot-welding
equipment. Some come with small brass cylinders or ferrules that can be
slipped over the wires for crimping. Otherwise you might use the barrels
from a regular crimp terminal with the terminal part clipped off.

Fred

Wash Machine Hollywood TJ Home Repair 8 September 19th 05 08:13 AM
Milling machine table repair Pete Metalworking 19 August 19th 05 05:23 AM
Getting 120v Single Phase from 3 Phase [email protected] Metalworking 62 June 18th 05 09:23 PM
Help! Trying to get a fax machine working with an answering machine/PABX Paulus UK diy 2 March 30th 04 06:26 PM
multiple simultaneous washing machine problems Don Sannella UK diy 1 November 4th 03 12:25 PM