Posted to alt.home.repair
MACE

Default Sears/Craftsman Warranty - Snow Blowers

I have a 3 year old Craftsman 24 inch/5.5HP snowblower where I could
never get the bolt off the oil tube, to change the oil

I asked for advice this at my local Sears store and their main man
(John) in Lawn and Garden admitted it can be a problem but to use
vice-grips to hold the tube while also using a wrench to loosen the
bolt.

Past two seasons following the above advice...nothing, still can't
loosen the bolt.

Well, tried it again this morning and snap....the oil tube broke right
out of the engine housing.

I called Sears to question the warranty on this and their 'Sunday' help
could only offer me to call back tomorrow when John is back in or to
call Service when they open Monday morning.

To prepare for the worst, anyone aware of what type of warranty or
coverage will I have to get the oil tube fixed?

FWFW, when they look at the blower they'll see its in really good
shape, like most in my area, it gets used maybe 4-5 time at most a
season.

Thanks in advance

-MACE-

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"MACE" wrote in message
To prepare for the worst, anyone aware of what type of warranty or
coverage will I have to get the oil tube fixed?

RTFM

FWFW, when they look at the blower they'll see its in really good
shape, like most in my area, it gets used maybe 4-5 time at most a
season.

So? You should have taken it back the first time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MACE

Yep, probably right, that being said, thoughts on warranty coverage?

Manual is long gone so I don't know what coverage was offered

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"MACE" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yep, probably right, that being said, thoughts on warranty coverage?

Manual is long gone so I don't know what coverage was offered

Check the Sears web site. If they don't have the old one, a new one will
give you a rough idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

At least you are Finally getting out that old oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Anthony Berlin

No warranty, they will repair it at an inflated cost however. OTOH, don't
know of anyone one that covers owner ignorance with their warranties. Should
have taken it back the first time you tried to perform maintenance on it and
were unable to, but, you already know that to, don't you?
"MACE" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
MACE

No Warranty? As in no warranty at all for defects?

Got a link you can point me at to prove your statement? Anyone?

I've already bounced around the various web search results for
warranties, manuals,etc and got nada

As for owner ignorance, pure crap!

Its a defect that the supervisor of the department already acknowledged
existed

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

"MACE" wrote in message
ups.com...
No Warranty? As in no warranty at all for defects?

Got a link you can point me at to prove your statement? Anyone?

I've already bounced around the various web search results for
warranties, manuals,etc and got nada

As for owner ignorance, pure crap!

Its a defect that the supervisor of the department already

acknowledged
existed

If it's like most engines of this type, it was a piece of 1/4" pipe
that you snapped off. Hardy a defect-it's been done like this for more
years than I can remember. If you're not careful it's easy to snap off
(as you found out). Most times the whole thing tries to turn instead
of just the cap at the end.

Just go to Sears and ask the sales guy how long the warranty lasts.
Don't be surprised if it's only a year. And they'll probably tell you
didn't perform scheduled maintenance so the warranty is void.

Repair is pretty easy if it's the setup I'm thinking of

Posted to alt.home.repair
MACE

Damn, I hate those Catch 22 incidents: you can't perform oil change
maintenance cause you can't get the cap off

Like you said, the whole thing just turns, which Sears acknowledged is
a problem...'yah, just grip the tube with vice-grips, and yank like
hell on the cap, that'll do it'

I'm still looking for a online manual (original lost in a
move)..suspect it will say just 1 year warranty and 'suggests' the oil
needs to be changed each season regardless of how many time the blower
is used.

Service will probably just tap out the hole in the engine housing and
put a bigger size tube in...something I may consider doing myself after
I speak with them

Thanks all for the feedback

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

"MACE" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you can find an inside pipe wrench for 1/4" pipe, that should
remove it. An easy out will work, but you have to be careful using
that. If it was turning anyways, a flat blade screwdriver gently
tapped in with a hammer, then turned with an adjustable wrench will
work, too...

Should be a standard length pipe nipple, at any hardware or home
center.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MACE wrote:
[...]

A chunk of pipe busted off in a hole is easy to get out. Go get
yourself some easy-outs and get on with it.
http://www.toolprice.com/product/1219A

Posted to alt.home.repair

MACE wrote:
[...]

I think standard warranty on small gas engine equipment is one year.

SONY Warning on Warranty Greg Electronics Repair 22 December 3rd 05 05:38 PM
Snow Blower - Made in China [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 24th 05 03:36 AM
Snow Blowers John F. Home Repair 19 October 20th 05 02:25 PM
Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
The New Ridgid power tool Warranty Leon Woodworking 0 November 3rd 03 07:27 PM