Posted to alt.home.repair
Hilltop Cycle ATV

Default Ceiling fan not working

My wife noticed my son's ceiling fan was moving VERY slowly on night when he
had it on. The she shut it off, the next day I went to check it out and
nothing happens now. I can just hear a very slight hum from the motor when
it is turned on. WHat might be wrong ? Do these fan motors go out alot ?
I have since, made sure the fan part is turned off and removed the pull
chain from the switch so he can't turn it on.
Thanks,
Raz

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Hilltop Cycle ATV wrote:
My wife noticed my son's ceiling fan was moving VERY slowly on night when he
had it on. The she shut it off, the next day I went to check it out and
nothing happens now. I can just hear a very slight hum from the motor when
it is turned on. WHat might be wrong ? Do these fan motors go out alot ?
I have since, made sure the fan part is turned off and removed the pull
chain from the switch so he can't turn it on.
Thanks,
Raz

I hope this fan is NOT on a dimmer switch? Only two things could
account for the slow movement, (assuming the fan speed is set correctly)
low voltage to the fan or a bad fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ken" wrote in message

I hope this fan is NOT on a dimmer switch? Only two things could account
for the slow movement, (assuming the fan speed is set correctly) low
voltage to the fan or a bad fan.

Yes. Could be the motor bearing worn and not easily turned. Turn on the
power and give the blades a spin by hand If it goes, it is probably that,
but it may be cheaper to replace it than have the bearings replaced, unless
you can do it yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

" Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote in message
My wife noticed my son's ceiling fan was moving VERY slowly on night when

he
had it on. The she shut it off, the next day I went to check it out and
nothing happens now. I can just hear a very slight hum from the motor when
it is turned on. WHat might be wrong ? Do these fan motors go out alot ?
I have since, made sure the fan part is turned off and removed the pull
chain from the switch so he can't turn it on.
Thanks,
Raz

Another suggestion. Most fans I have seen have 3 or more speeds and a
forward and reverse.
Have you checked other positions?

I have had one fan in my life do this. Motors do go out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Why replace berrings when relube will probably work? Cheaper to clean and
relube. I don't replace my car when the oil gets black.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Ken" wrote in message

I hope this fan is NOT on a dimmer switch? Only two things could account
for the slow movement, (assuming the fan speed is set correctly) low
voltage to the fan or a bad fan.

Yes. Could be the motor bearing worn and not easily turned. Turn on the
power and give the blades a spin by hand If it goes, it is probably that,
but it may be cheaper to replace it than have the bearings replaced, unless
you can do it yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Dried out oil on the berrings? Take the fan apart, take the motor out of the
unit. Clean the berrings with some solvent, and reoil with ND30 or Zoom
Spout Turbine Oil. Reassemble.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Ken" wrote in message

I hope this fan is NOT on a dimmer switch? Only two things could
account for the slow movement, (assuming the fan speed is set correctly)
low voltage to the fan or a bad fan.

wiring sockets from ceiling rose advice needed choco UK diy 18 July 25th 15 07:12 AM
Ceiling Fan Steve Home Repair 0 August 7th 05 05:59 PM
Need advice on wiring for a new ceiling fan [email protected] Home Ownership 2 December 10th 04 08:02 PM
Advice - Sagging Ceiling, Bump in the floor KT Home Repair 14 December 6th 04 11:12 PM
New kitchen ceiling questions [email protected] UK diy 3 November 5th 04 08:14 AM