Posted to alt.home.repair
SeaKan

Default rigid battery drills

home depot has a 189 drill for 99. 18 volt. the brand is rigid. is that a
good brand or is ryobi better? my bandecker is dying.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"SeaKan" wrote in message
home depot has a 189 drill for 99. 18 volt. the brand is rigid. is that
a good brand or is ryobi better? my bandecker is dying.

Ryobi is crap, IMO. The Ridgid drills are fairly new in the market but are
supposed to be OK. Check the warranty as they were offering a lifetime,
including batteries, for a while and that would make it a good deal.

I'll put my Panasonic 15.6 V up against most any 18V drill on the market and
have more power and less weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bernie Hunt

Ridgid is made by the same folks as Milwaukee. Ridgid is targeted at the mid
level pros and high level home owners. I own a couple of their tools and
have been quite pleased with them. I would definately talk a Ridgid over a
Ryobi.

Bernie

"SeaKan" wrote in message
home depot has a 189 drill for 99. 18 volt. the brand is rigid. is that
a good brand or is ryobi better? my bandecker is dying.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

makita 12 volt is my favorite. watch the weight on those 18 volt models.

Posted to alt.home.repair
larry moe 'n curly

The Dec. 2005 Consumer Reports has a review of cordless drills and gave
the 12V, 14V, and 18V Ridgids top marks for speed and battery charging
time. The 18V and one of the 14V models 9R83015) were also rated
above-average for torque. However the 14V and 12V models were below
average in battery run time.

The 18V Ryobi ranked slightly below the lower voltage Ridgids, overall,
but Home Depot currently offers for just $29.97 (only one battery
pack).

OTOH how can you beat the Ridgid lifetime warranty, especially when it
includes the batteries?

BTW, that CR review includes a look at the Milwaukee 28V drill, but
three samples failed a test where 3" lag screws were driven. The
motor in one failed, while in two others solder joints melted. CR said
that four other, cheaper drills made it through the same test without
trouble.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"SeaKan" wrote in message
home depot has a 189 drill for 99. 18 volt. the brand is rigid. is

that
a good brand or is ryobi better? my bandecker is dying.

I always thought Ridged was Black and Decker, I know there Vacuums were
the same as crapsman at one time. Most the ridged stuff I've checked out
I'm not to impressed with. I have a 9.6 Makita the batteries don't seem to
last very long. Now I bought a 14V Dewalt the drill has plenty of power. But
I notice the batteries are not holding a charge very long. I was told they
will take 1200 charges I'm not even close. I have used the 12V Makita it a
really nice drill. I also have heard the Panasonic is very good. That might
be next one. I'm going to wait I heard that skill is working on a new
designee. It is based on a central power supply the draw back is there will
be a line from the drill or tool that hooks to the power supply. The article
also says there working a secondary line that can be chained to extend
working distance. (That sounds a little high Tec for average user) They hope
to be in production by Mid Summer. Think about it, no need for over priced
batteries or after one screw saying oh crap

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bernie Hunt

Nope, Rigid, Mlwaukee and Ryobi are all made by Techtonic Industries. Here
is the NA website; http://www.ttigroupna.com/

Here is their corporate web, http://www.ttigroup.com/general/home.php

Their sites don't talk about Rigid because it's a private label deal to put
the Rigid name on their power tools. If you are at a woodworking show and
see Rigid there, ask one of the reps. They all work for TTI.

Bernie

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
om...
I always thought Ridged was Black and Decker, I know there Vacuums were
the same as crapsman at one time. Most the ridged stuff I've checked out

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

One thing to check on battery power tools is type of battery. Newer better
tools use Ni-metal hydride batteries. These don't have memory effects and
are higher capacity than older Ni-Cd batteries. IMHO a 12 volt drill is
adequate. Extra power equals extra weight for little gain. I can drive 50
3" deck screws with my Makita before needing to switch batteries. Charging
takes about an hour.

"SeaKan" wrote in message
home depot has a 189 drill for 99. 18 volt. the brand is rigid. is that
a good brand or is ryobi better? my bandecker is dying.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I'm going to wait I heard that skill is working on a new
designee. It is based on a central power supply the draw

back is there will
be a line from the drill or tool that hooks to the power

supply. The article
also says there working a secondary line that can be

chained to extend
working distance. (That sounds a little high Tec for

average user) They hope
to be in production by Mid Summer. Think about it, no need

for over priced
batteries or after one screw saying oh crap

I would just buy a plug in drill. They recently invented a
way to operate them a distance from the power outlet. If I
remember correctly, it's called an "extension cord". The
drills are way more powerful and dependable than any battery
drill.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm going to wait I heard that skill is working on a new
designee. It is based on a central power supply the draw

back is there will
be a line from the drill or tool that hooks to the power

supply. The article
also says there working a secondary line that can be

chained to extend
working distance.

That sounds fantastic. You can have a nuclear powered drill that way.

I'm hoping they come out with a phone that can be wired to one spot so I
won't misplace it al the time. The advances in technology are just
astounding.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

I'm going to wait I heard that skill is working on a new
designee. It is based on a central power supply the draw

back is there will
be a line from the drill or tool that hooks to the power

supply. The article
also says there working a secondary line that can be

chained to extend
working distance. (That sounds a little high Tec for

average user) They hope
to be in production by Mid Summer. Think about it, no need

for over priced
batteries or after one screw saying oh crap

I would just buy a plug in drill. They recently invented a
way to operate them a distance from the power outlet. If I
remember correctly, it's called an "extension cord". The
drills are way more powerful and dependable than any battery
drill.

Bob

So someone beat Skill to the bunch? Probably corporate espionage . I wonder
who will come out with a Black & White TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

I also like the Makita but I'm still with the 9.6 V model. I've only
broken one driving a series of 6" lag screws with it. They've survived
any number of nasty falls. I like the light weight of these models and
with my recently acquired right angle driver (30% discount) I've got 4
now. I've also refurbished many junked batteries and now have 12
working.
The newer trend will probably be LiPolys, very light and powerful.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Dec. 2005 Consumer Reports has a review of cordless drills and gave
the 12V, 14V, and 18V Ridgids top marks for speed and battery charging
time. The 18V and one of the 14V models 9R83015) were also rated
above-average for torque. However the 14V and 12V models were below
average in battery run time.

The 18V Ryobi ranked slightly below the lower voltage Ridgids, overall,
but Home Depot currently offers for just $29.97 (only one battery
pack).

OTOH how can you beat the Ridgid lifetime warranty, especially when it
includes the batteries?

Milwaukees Lifetime warranty before they sold out.
Thats how..LOL
Ridgid drills are made in China.
Only thing that carries the Ridgid name now thats worth a damn is the
pipefitting tools that are still made in Ohio.

BTW, that CR review includes a look at the Milwaukee 28V drill, but
three samples failed a test where 3" lag screws were driven. The
motor in one failed, while in two others solder joints melted. CR said
that four other, cheaper drills made it through the same test without
trouble.

Milwaukee is now total and complete ****.
Ryobis on the inside..

Bosch is what we are using, along side the older Milwaukees....
Id use Panasonic, but cant find them in this area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sacramento Dave wrote:

I have a 9.6 Makita the batteries don't seem to last very long. Now
I bought a 14V Dewalt the drill has plenty of power. But I notice the
batteries are not holding a charge very long. I was told they will take
1200 charges I'm not even close. I have used the 12V Makita it a
really nice drill.

About the only way to get 1200 charge cycles is by keeping the cells
cool (drilling several small vent holes in the pack can help greatly,
not charging them until they've fully cooled down, and frequently
checking for reversed cells. Otherwise the lifespan is more likely to
be 100-500 cycles.

Some people make a remote battery pack that fits on the belt by taking
the body of an old pack. This allows using D cells with over twice the
capacity of the C or sub-C cells normally found in tool batteries.
But don't connect this to a charger that monitors battery temperature
directly, rather than through a thermistor built into the battery, or
the cells will overcharge.

I also have heard the Panasonic is very good.

I'd buy nothing but Panasonic drills if the batteries weren't so
expensive and hard to find.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

I'd buy nothing but Panasonic drills if the batteries weren't so
expensive and hard to find.

You can have them rebuilt for less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

I'd buy nothing but Panasonic drills if the batteries weren't so
expensive and hard to find.

You can have them rebuilt for less.

All new cells or only the dead cells get replaced?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
You can have them rebuilt for less.

All new cells or only the dead cells get replaced?

www.primecell.com
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm 15.6 volt is $61.00 for 3300 mAh
nihm In most cases, they are better than factory original.

Posted to alt.home.repair
patrick mitchel

wrote in message
You can have them rebuilt for less.

All new cells or only the dead cells get replaced?

Depends on how much you use the drill, how cheap you are and whether ya
want a dependable drill. I fit the "cheap" category and replaced the
defective cells. If I were to do it over (and I have on a bunch on makita
9.6 stick batteries), I'd get all new cells. The problem with replacing only
the defective one is there's probably several cells that are weaker. When
you add a new one, and try to use the drill , you end up with a cell that's
going to quit the job before the rest. I tend to keep using the drill at a
reduced pressure and speed to still get the job done. The result will
potentially be another cell going flat and possibly taking a reverse charge
from the interconnected nature of the pack. There are services (like the rc
electric guys would use) that match the cells for output- you'd get the max
out of that pack. I use the battery packs as power for a homemade bicycle
lights. Works fine but the lights will often dim on the night rides (hence
the need for a 2nd pack to change out along the ride). Now if I had bought
some GOOD cells (the stocks were nicads of 1500mah) or upgraded with newer
nimhs (upwards of 3000mah for the same size), I'd probaly be happier if
lighter in the well used wallet, but defeating the cheap bugger in my
nature is trying at times. Pat