Posted to alt.home.repair
patrick mitchel

Default rigid battery drills

wrote in message
You can have them rebuilt for less.

All new cells or only the dead cells get replaced?

Depends on how much you use the drill, how cheap you are and whether ya
want a dependable drill. I fit the "cheap" category and replaced the
defective cells. If I were to do it over (and I have on a bunch on makita
9.6 stick batteries), I'd get all new cells. The problem with replacing only
the defective one is there's probably several cells that are weaker. When
you add a new one, and try to use the drill , you end up with a cell that's
going to quit the job before the rest. I tend to keep using the drill at a
reduced pressure and speed to still get the job done. The result will
potentially be another cell going flat and possibly taking a reverse charge
from the interconnected nature of the pack. There are services (like the rc
electric guys would use) that match the cells for output- you'd get the max
out of that pack. I use the battery packs as power for a homemade bicycle
lights. Works fine but the lights will often dim on the night rides (hence
the need for a 2nd pack to change out along the ride). Now if I had bought
some GOOD cells (the stocks were nicads of 1500mah) or upgraded with newer
nimhs (upwards of 3000mah for the same size), I'd probaly be happier if
lighter in the well used wallet, but defeating the cheap bugger in my
nature is trying at times. Pat