Posted to alt.home.repair

Default restoring finish to brass plated tub drain

I have a tub where the visible surface of the drain looks bad. brown
and green corrosion.
Originally it had shiny yellow brass finish. I think I ruined it with
drain clog chemicals.
(I avoid those now, I would funnel them in with great care if I felt a
need to)

Anyway, I want to improve the looks of the surface.

I could clean and polish it with steel wool, I think. I figure the
surface will look
more like steel than brass at that point.

Is there a way to resurface it that looks good?

Is there at least something I can put on it after I polish it down to
metal to stop
corrosion?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

On the off chance that it is really brass, I think I would start
with some Brasso and a soft cloth. The green kinda indicates
brass. If you get it nice and shiny, you can protect with lacquer
or paste wax.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a tub where the visible surface of the drain looks bad.
brown
and green corrosion.
Originally it had shiny yellow brass finish. I think I ruined
it with
drain clog chemicals.
(I avoid those now, I would funnel them in with great care if I
felt a
need to)

Anyway, I want to improve the looks of the surface.

I could clean and polish it with steel wool, I think. I figure
the
surface will look
more like steel than brass at that point.

Is there a way to resurface it that looks good?

Is there at least something I can put on it after I polish it
down to
metal to stop
corrosion?

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"DanG" wrote in message

On the off chance that it is really brass, I think I would start with some
Brasso and a soft cloth. The green kinda indicates brass. If you get it
nice and shiny, you can protect with lacquer or paste wax.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Ditto the effort with Brasso first. Can't hurt and I've found Brasso
cleans up a number of metals, not just brass.
I can't agree with paste wax as a protector though. Wax offers little to no
protection to water and in this use, it just
wouldn't hold up. Lacquer might hold up better but if this tub gets regular
use, you ought to just plan on shining it up
every so often, assuming it is truly brass. Chances are, it's not and all
bets are off!
Cheers,
cc

Posted to alt.home.repair

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

[...]

Tried some old Brasso that I had. Did clean up the green stuff well;
the surface
is still tarnished but does not look like steel. Will try another
application of Brasso perhaps from a new bottle. I know that some of my
sink drains are plated and will not clean up well, but maybe the tub
drain is different since it does not have obvious two-toned spots with
and without plating. I plan to replace one sink drain that was
damaged with drain clog removal chemicals,a drain that has easy access.