Posted to alt.home.repair

Default restoring finish to brass plated tub drain

RicodJour wrote:
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
wrote:
I have a tub where the visible surface of the drain looks bad. brown
and green corrosion.
Originally it had shiny yellow brass finish. I think I ruined it with
drain clog chemicals.
(I avoid those now, I would funnel them in with great care if I felt a
need to)

Anyway, I want to improve the looks of the surface.

I could clean and polish it with steel wool, I think. I figure the
surface will look
more like steel than brass at that point.

Is there a way to resurface it that looks good?

Is there at least something I can put on it after I polish it down to
metal to stop corrosion?

Buy a new one. They're cheap, standard sizes and it's a hell of a lot
easier.

I don't have easy access under the tub, so I don't see an easy way to
replace the drain. Or an easy way to replace the tub.

The tub was probably installed before any walls and ceilings.

Maybe I'm not reading you. Is this what you're talking about?
http://tinyurl.com/d7kfu

If so, unscrew the screw in the middle of it and pop in the new one.
They also make snap-in replacements - makes cleaning the gunk out a bit
easier.

No, it would be a tub drain assembly:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...e=12-2772371-2

I don't know how to do a tiny url.

The one above is chrome plated brass. But mine had a brass finish.