Posted to alt.home.repair

Default restoring finish to brass plated tub drain

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message

On the off chance that it is really brass, I think I would start with some
Brasso and a soft cloth. The green kinda indicates brass. If you get it
nice and shiny, you can protect with lacquer or paste wax.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Ditto the effort with Brasso first. Can't hurt and I've found Brasso
cleans up a number of metals, not just brass.
I can't agree with paste wax as a protector though. Wax offers little to no
protection to water and in this use, it just
wouldn't hold up. Lacquer might hold up better but if this tub gets regular
use, you ought to just plan on shining it up
every so often, assuming it is truly brass. Chances are, it's not and all
bets are off!
Cheers,
cc

Tried some old Brasso that I had. Did clean up the green stuff well;
the surface
is still tarnished but does not look like steel. Will try another
application of Brasso perhaps from a new bottle. I know that some of my
sink drains are plated and will not clean up well, but maybe the tub
drain is different since it does not have obvious two-toned spots with
and without plating. I plan to replace one sink drain that was
damaged with drain clog removal chemicals,a drain that has easy access.