Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Default Furnace temperature rise

I had a new 70,000 BTU Rheem furnace installed in my house. The airflow from
the registers is rather noisy: You can hear the air rushing through the
registers, not exactly whisper-quiet!

The temperature differential between return duct and heat register is 30
degrees (from 70F to 98F). Is this a normal differential or can the fan
speed be reduced, resulting in a higher temperature at he registers?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

So what did your installer say?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

"m Ransley" wrote in message
So what did your installer say?

This isn't alt.hvac. If you don't have something that will be of help crawl
back to your snake pit where your buddies appreciate moronic replies.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new 70,000 BTU Rheem furnace installed in my house. The airflow

from
the registers is rather noisy: You can hear the air rushing through the
registers, not exactly whisper-quiet!

The temperature differential between return duct and heat register is 30
degrees (from 70F to 98F). Is this a normal differential or can the fan
speed be reduced, resulting in a higher temperature at he registers?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

there are to many variables that are not stated in your post to even
attempt a answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

That is a rather low temperature rise for a gas furnace. I would
suggest dropping the blower speed one tap. I would normally expect to
see between 40 and 60 degrees temperature rise with a gas furnace. See
if the installer can do that for you.

BTW, the fan switch on the thermostat should be set to AUTO. If the
switch is set to ON, you would be running at air conditioning speed.
But the grilles should still not be that noisy.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"MLD" wrote in message news:HU2jf.393$s96.334@trndny01...

"m Ransley" wrote in message
So what did your installer say?

This isn't alt.hvac. If you don't have something that will be of help
crawl
back to your snake pit where your buddies appreciate moronic replies.
MLD

I must have that guy killfiled, but he has a point. The OP may want to call
the installer and explained what it is doing and express his concerns.

You never know: If HE attemps to change the fan speeds, he could possibly
void the warranty.

Just a thought....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:31:35 GMT, "MLD" wrote:

"m Ransley" wrote in message
So what did your installer say?

This isn't alt.hvac. If you don't have something that will be of help crawl
back to your snake pit where your buddies appreciate moronic replies.
MLD

Actually there mr Dildo MLD Ransley gave perfect advice. The OP
said it was JUST installed and with the info he gave (if its correct)
I can tell you infact that it is NOT setup properly.
They need to get out there and set it up right. The OP doesnt need to
be messing with it and shouldnt be messing with it. He just paid for
it and paid for it to be installed properly.
You may now go crawl under the tunnel of your muddy rock.
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

When I had that same concern on my new unit I called the installer, I
know just enough to understand there is a safe operating output temp and
setting fan to low could be bad, and I dont know the safe limits. Also
with wired taps I did not want to make a mistake that could ruin a
board. So again I say talk to the installer first why risk ruining a
unit under warranty or doing something stupid that you are not familar
with. Installers have training and know their equipment and your house,
you don`t.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Thank you, all.

The installer says that the fan speed in this dual-stage system is set by
the factory and cannot be lowered. It's a Rheem 80% 2-stage Criterion Two+,
Model RGPK 70.

The installation manual is of limited value.Wonder where I can find a
maintenance manual. (The old tinkerer in me).

Maybe I can reduce the air speed by using a heavy duty air filter.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new 70,000 BTU Rheem furnace installed in my house. The airflow
from the registers is rather noisy: You can hear the air rushing through
the registers, not exactly whisper-quiet!

The temperature differential between return duct and heat register is 30
degrees (from 70F to 98F). Is this a normal differential or can the fan
speed be reduced, resulting in a higher temperature at he registers?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Schofield

"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new 70,000 BTU Rheem furnace installed in my house. The airflow
from the registers is rather noisy: You can hear the air rushing through
the registers, not exactly whisper-quiet!

The temperature differential between return duct and heat register is 30
degrees (from 70F to 98F). Is this a normal differential or can the fan
speed be reduced, resulting in a higher temperature at he registers?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

although you might reduce the speed of the air flowing thru the heat
exchanger (and consequently increase the temperature differential), you
might at the same time adversely affect the amperage draw on the motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I think you should call rheem , Im no pro but I thought a 2 stage had 2
fan speeds and different taps for different needs, but someone here will
know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TAB Dude

All furnaces come wired at a default speed and yes they can be changed. The
default speed is based on an assumed external static pressure of .5" WC. If
your system pressure is lower, then you could be moving an excess amount of
air. The only way this could not be lowered is if the unit is shipped with
the heating at the lowest fan speed. If this is the case, an after market
accessory, such as a variable speed drive, could improve the unit's
performance. For more info on drives e-mail me for info at cowlesandco at
hotmail dot com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubba

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:44:44 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

Thank you, all.

The installer says that the fan speed in this dual-stage system is set by
the factory and cannot be lowered. It's a Rheem 80% 2-stage Criterion Two+,
Model RGPK 70.

The installation manual is of limited value.Wonder where I can find a
maintenance manual. (The old tinkerer in me).

Maybe I can reduce the air speed by using a heavy duty air filter.

The model # will be helpful.
By the way, I dont think you should have gone with the cheapest
installer you could find.
Bubba
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

The installer says that the fan speed in this dual-stage system is set
by
the factory and cannot be lowered. It's a Rheem 80% 2-stage Criterion Two+,
Model RGPK 70.

Sounds like BS to me. A pleated filter would lower air flow 10 to 20
percent. Try that. The fan speed IS set by the factory. It may
already be set to the lowest speed tap, but probvably not. Most likely
your installer is looking for an easy way out. Did he actually MEASURE
the air flow when he installed the system? He should have.

Stretch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"m Ransley" wrote in message
So what did your installer say?

This isn't alt.hvac. If you don't have something that will be of help
crawl
back to your snake pit where your buddies appreciate moronic replies.
MLD

You dumb****! How do you know the rest of the system is set up properly?
What is the gas pressure? What about the orifices? What about the venting?
What about the duct work?

Something is obviously wrong here, and the homeowner shouldn't have to be
changing settings on his brand new furnace. He should call the installer
and get it checked out and set up properly.

You sound like a real kunt.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

"Walter R." wrote in message
I had a new 70,000 BTU Rheem furnace installed in my house. The airflow
from the registers is rather noisy: You can hear the air rushing through
the registers, not exactly whisper-quiet!

The temperature differential between return duct and heat register is 30
degrees (from 70F to 98F). Is this a normal differential or can the fan
speed be reduced, resulting in a higher temperature at he registers?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

This is Turtle.

1] that model has 4 speed taps to choose from.

2] Try the restrictive filter to see and check the Heat rise. you need
like others here have said 40 to 60 degrees F Heat Rise. Now i like 40
degrees F heat rise.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

"m Ransley" wrote in message
So what did your installer say?

This isn't alt.hvac. If you don't have something that will be of help
crawl
back to your snake pit where your buddies appreciate moronic replies.
MLD

You dumb****! How do you know the rest of the system is set up properly?
What is the gas pressure? What about the orifices? What about the

venting?
What about the duct work?

Something is obviously wrong here, and the homeowner shouldn't have to be
changing settings on his brand new furnace. He should call the installer
and get it checked out and set up properly.

You sound like a real kunt.

You have a point, many things to consider--but your response is still
typical of the snake pit at alt.hvac. Just one question--between your hat
size, your shoe size or your IQ---which one is bigger?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

At least he didnt give the hack reply to put in a restrictive air filter....
Since no one here knows the condition of the ductwork, and we can all assume
that the installer just went and slapped in a furnace and didnt redo any
duct, sure...lets half ass the air flow and since the OP prob has no clue
how to check and adjust the gas valve, yay...lets create a possible senario
that could...and thats COULD ruin a new installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD

"CBHVAC" wrote in message
news

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

You're right--no fault in trying to give a proper response to someone's
request for information or help. Every field, no matter what, requires
expertise, experience and common sense. What you have over in alt.hvac is a
bunch of buffoons who relish every opportunity to dump on anyone who enters
looking for some info or help. It's so bad there, you're even dumping all
over yourselves. Don't start bringing that trash mouthing here. HVAC is a
specialty and there are things that you know that the average owner
doesn't---however, it's not rocket science, lots of people can read a
schematic, understand a wiring diagram and can up to a point, do their own
troubleshooting. I also recognize that there are situations that are too
dangerous to give advice, that doing the wrong thing can ruin an
installation, if so, say so--have no fear, no one is going to take over your
job, give a little respect if you want respect.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know, but my dick fits pretty good in your mouth.