J. Jorgensen

Default Furnace runs but have to manually restart

I'm having a problem with my furnace that I hope someone can shed some
light on. The furnace will run and then usually get to the desired
temperature set by the T-stat and stop. Then when the T-stat thinks
it should run again the the T-stat will show that the furnace is
running (it's an electronic T-stat), but the furance will not kick on.
If I am near the furnace, I can only hear a real faint buzzing sound
(which goes away if I shut the power off to the furnace). If I either
turn the T-stat off and on a few times or turn the power to the
furnace off and then on, the furnace will usually kick on (until the
next go around).

It seems to be a furance issue and not a T-stat issue, but I'm looking
for some help. Unless it is something really easy to fix, I plan on
calling a repairman, but I would still like to be knowledgable of the
problem beforehand.

It is a forced air Lennox furnce about 18 years old. I will mention
too that it started doing this a couple of days ago soon after I used
the electrical outlet on the furnace to power a shop vac (I rarely use
this outlet -- and I don't know if this would be related anyway).

Thanks.

Jim
TURTLE

"J. Jorgensen" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This is Turtle.

I wouldn't say you have a thermostat problem but a Failure to start on the
furnace. I would say i would call a service company to see why it is failing
to start.

TURTLE

---

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

A) Bull****, you couldn't be more wrong.

B) Stop giving advice on things you know nothing about.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:54:04 -0500, "1991 Z28"
wrote:

There is a sensor around the top of the burners usually held in by one screw
with a wire hooked up, remove the wire remove the sensor, clean with steel
wool or fine sand paper and replace.
"J. Jorgensen" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

richard p dawson

you have no ****ing idea of what your talking about
you will not find a "flame sensor" on an 18 year old lennox

next guess???

1991 Z28 wrote:

Gee, did I **** in your WEETIES or something?

wrote:

[...]

Doug

[...]

Jim...
I'll try to help while the other boys are fighting it out.
First if it's an oil furnace ( you didn't say) it could be what you're
hearing is the motor trying to start. When you play with the stat it
will at some point, start the burner depending on the inrush of current.
It could also be that the motor isn't starting and what you're hearing is
actually the spark from the electrodes. It'd be faint and almost sound
like a hum. If this unit is gas, you'd need to continue to hope the
other guys put down the gloves and try to help as I've had no training in
gas furnaces. I've had since '75 on oil but up here in Malone NY, no one
has gas.

Doug
1991 Z28

You should know that I don't "know much" about furnaces but if it did have
the flame sensor the gentleman could have possibly fixed it himself. Its NO
reason to be such an asshole.

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:08:25 GMT, Doug wrote:

[...]

What he needs to hope for is the wisdom to call a pro to come
fix the thing.

BTW, that crap about 'inrush current' is exactly that - crap.
So, you also need to stop giving advice about things you have no
knowledge of.

Based on the posters description of the problem, there is not
one tiny chance he can competently and safely work on this unit
himself.

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

FYI,
If this is Lennox Conservator
'Mid-Efficency" furnace with the Electronic ignition lite pilot lite
and motorized Chimney damper there is a well known problem with the
electronic controls going on them, usually made by Johnson.

Most of the ones here installed about 19 - 20 years ago have either
been replaced, had the controls replaced or had the controls removed
and been converted to a pilot light and no damper configeration.

How do I know? I had a Lennox Conservator G8E model and found out by
speaking to both the gas company and several HVAC guys over the 4
years it took to completely give up the ghost. Lennox makes a retrofit
kit but I wasn't prepared to spend $500 to have it installed on a 20
yr old furnace.

This info may relate or not.

Canadaloon

BTW I had the flame sensor (Lennox part 12F1901, Sensor: Flame sensor
for penn valve) replaced 3 times in 4 years before it finally went.

[...]

The only asshole here is the one handing out wrong advice
about furnaces.

Everyone else is merely trying to get you to STFU, a skill you
seem to lack.

1991 Z28 wrote:

[...]

CBhvac

Then stop ****ing crossposting? Please? Hows that?

1991 Z28 wrote:

[...]

CBhvac

wrote in message
[...]

Doug...

See...I think you are wrong..ok..I think Pauls right and you are wrong.
Inrush? Please...get a clue.

What he needs to hope for is the wisdom to call a pro to come
fix the thing.

BTW, that crap about 'inrush current' is exactly that - crap.
So, you also need to stop giving advice about things you have no
knowledge of.

Based on the posters description of the problem, there is not
one tiny chance he can competently and safely work on this unit
himself.

Ya know...for some odd reason, I keep thinking...4074FAB...4074FAB...maybe I
am wrong...but its sure a possible thing...

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

modervador

If you don't "know much" about furnaces, then there's no reason for
you to give the first bit of advice with such an air of authority.
People who know better get most frustrated and respond accordingly
when incorrect info is provided as if it is true in all cases without
proper caveats. Try it like this:

"If your furnace is like those I've seen, there may be a flame sensor
around the top of the burners usually held in by one screw with a wire
hooked up. If there is such a sensor, remove the wire remove the
sensor, clean with steel wool or fine sand paper and replace."

That way, you're covered if the OP furnace is outside your experience.

%mod%

1991 Z28 wrote:

There is a sensor around the top of the burners usually held in by one

screw
with a wire hooked up, remove the wire remove the sensor, clean with

steel
wool or fine sand paper and replace.

Nate B

"CBhvac"

Ya know...for some odd reason, I keep thinking...4074FAB...4074FAB...maybe

am wrong...but its sure a possible thing...

So - you think it's a thermostat control problem? Why don't you just say
that and back it up in PLAIN ENGLISH as to why? Otherwise, you're just as
useless to this thread as the freakshow with the Camaro.

I thought you were just over in another thread claiming to be someone
helpful - but I see here you're just all about protecting your e-hero ego
and having him call one of your cohorts - perhaps one possibly dumber than
Camaro Man!

His question, in case you guys missed it, is to get a rough idea as to what
might be causing the problem. Real techs love tossing out possible
solutions, even if they might be wrong. I deal with this all the time in my
profession in meeting rooms far from the labs where the goods are. Some
guys love it, and the brainstorm usually hits the nail pretty quick with the
right guys in the room. Don't give me that "can't see your furnace from
here" bull****. The Tappet Bros. solve car problems every Sunday on NPR
with a hell of a lot less than what this guy is giving you. They have a lot
less ego and more personality to boot, clearly.

I think you HVAC guys are just what everyone says - insecure.

- Nate

CBhvac

"Nate B" wrote in message

"CBhvac"

Ya know...for some odd reason, I keep

thinking...4074FAB...4074FAB...maybe
am wrong...but its sure a possible thing...

So - you think it's a thermostat control problem? Why don't you just say
that and back it up in PLAIN ENGLISH as to why? Otherwise, you're just as
useless to this thread as the freakshow with the Camaro

OK...well..whatever..if you know what a 4074FAB is, then you understand that
its not really a thermostat problem, but a problem in the wiring of the
thermostat, and since someone didnt give near enough damn information to
have a clue sitting here on my ass in front of the computer after going out
and playing in the damn snow and ice all day actually making things work
right again....well...beats the hell out of me.

I thought you were just over in another thread claiming to be someone
helpful - but I see here you're just all about protecting your e-hero ego
and having him call one of your cohorts - perhaps one possibly dumber than
Camaro Man!

LOL..ok...see....here is the diference..Paul knows what he is doing, and so
do I, and I would and have offered to back that up many times, even to the
point of offering a free check to those local to me.....but since no ones
got enough information...(are ya starting to see a pattern there???)

His question, in case you guys missed it, is to get a rough idea as to

what
might be causing the problem. Real techs love tossing out possible
solutions, even if they might be wrong. I deal with this all the time in

my
profession in meeting rooms far from the labs where the goods are. Some
guys love it, and the brainstorm usually hits the nail pretty quick with

the
right guys in the room. Don't give me that "can't see your furnace from
here" bull****. The Tappet Bros. solve car problems every Sunday on NPR
with a hell of a lot less than what this guy is giving you. They have a

lot
less ego and more personality to boot, clearly.

Humm...I have heard that show before, and I turned it off when I heard it.
Ok...I wont give you the cant see it from here bull****...since its obvious
and since its also obvious that you dont have a clue either. Might I suggest
that the OP, be it you, or whoever, since I dont really care to go reset my
newsreader, post some more information, like...brand of stat and when it was
installed, since if its a Honeywell power stealing stat, he just might need
that resistor ran from C to W and bingo, it might work again...hell...I will
even send him the resistor if he actually needs it..but you know, he didnt
say that and I wasnt about to ask since normally if it WAS a case where he
needed it, he would have also complained that the display on the stat was
out...but he didnt. I also dont know if hes got a ST9120, or a ST9141 fan
timer, and we all know that its FAH so Taco Valves are not an issue, and its
not a Trane air handler..and hes not using R8184 oil primaries, and its not
a cool only application, so ......while I was thinking it, its very well
possible that hes got another issue, possibly something a little more
complicated to troubleshoot via a damned keyboard, and no, I am NOT going to
try to walk him through it for a varity of reasons, none of them have
anything to do with possibly losing a job...sheesh, hes probably hundreds of
miles away, so its not like I am insecure in the fact that if I was there, I
COULD fix it, but since I am not, I wont even try since one wrong move on
his part, or the fact that something might have been changed in the past
that he is unaware of in the unit and I am not aware of either, and
poof....hes got a fried mess on his hands.
No...I will leave that to those that would rather just send out ideas to
those that have no clue what to do with the information.

I think you HVAC guys are just what everyone says - insecure.

Not really...if I was insecure, I sure as hell would have stayed home
today..instead, lifes good...even if is 17F out and sleeting again..
Matter of fact, we were one of the few companies working today...

Now...is there a need to crosspost this still? If you want to argue, argue
with yourself.

- Nate

Nate B

"CBhvac"

but since no ones
got enough information...
(are ya starting to see a pattern there???)

Holy **** - I hope you don't charge by the hour.

Watch how simple this can be:

To Original Poster,

Did you or someone else recently replace your thermostat?

Yes. Someone probably f'd up the job. You just potentially saved $1000s
over Usenet by not letting some moron from the yellow pages sell you a new
furnace and perhaps the truck he drove over in. That's why you came here.

No - These HVAC guys can take another guess - or they can just STFU and
ignore you, which would be better than posting cryptic jibberish clearly
hiding the fact they really have no clue what's wrong with your furnace at
this point, and asking you the very simple and logical next question would
require that they come down from the molehill they stand above you on - an
act they fear greater than death itself, it seems.

IMO, of course.

- Nate

Stormin Mormon

Is the furnace gas, propane, or fuel oil?

Can you tell if the furnace gets warm (but doesn't blow the hot air into the
house), or doesn't get warm at all? If the furnace gets warm, but the blower
doesn't blow, then one possibility is the run capacitor on the blower fan.
Clicking the furnace off and on will sometimes start a fan blower with a bad
capacitor.

As a couple of other posters mentioned, we would like some more information.
I doubt the shopvac had much to do with the problem.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

[...]

HvacTech2

Hi Stormin, hope you are having a nice day

On 26-Jan-04 At About 23:25:06, Stormin Mormon wrote to Stormin Mormon
Subject: Furnace runs but have to manually restart

SM From: "Stormin Mormon"

SM Is the furnace gas, propane, or fuel oil?

SM warm, but the blower doesn't blow, then one possibility is the run
SM capacitor on the blower fan. Clicking the furnace off and on will
SM sometimes start a fan blower with a bad capacitor.

Wrong again!!

SM As a couple of other posters mentioned, we would like some more
SM information. I doubt the shopvac had much to do with the problem.

I don't know what you would do with any more info. you don't have any idea
what to do with it.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "Do you think God lets you plea bargain?" -- Calvin

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
CBhvac

No ****tard, only hacks do that now.

Watch how simple this can be:

To Original Poster,

Did you or someone else recently replace your thermostat?

Yes. Someone probably f'd up the job. You just potentially saved $1000s
over Usenet by not letting some moron from the yellow pages sell you a new
furnace and perhaps the truck he drove over in. That's why you came here.

No - These HVAC guys can take another guess - or they can just STFU and
ignore you, which would be better than posting cryptic jibberish clearly
hiding the fact they really have no clue what's wrong with your furnace at
this point, and asking you the very simple and logical next question would
require that they come down from the molehill they stand above you on - an
act they fear greater than death itself, it seems.

LOL...ok...that was as helpful as anything I wrote..
Of course, then again...perhaps less helpful...

Back into the box with you...hell, Chris Young makes more sense than you
do..

IMO, of course.

- Nate