Posted to alt.home.repair
dk

Default Bathroom remodeling advice needed

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
RNR_construction

"dk" wrote in message
I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly painted
walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my new tile?
Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Paint first! let it dry give it 2 days to be safe if it gets dusty brush
it off with a soft bristle brush.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A.D.C.

"RNR_construction" wrote in message
. ..

"dk" wrote in message
I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my new
tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Paint first! let it dry give it 2 days to be safe if it gets dusty
brush it off with a soft bristle brush.

OR a wet cloth or tack rag

not taping or covering will save you moe time than cleaning any dust

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

dk wrote:
I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

No different than construction in any other room. Paint goes on last
unless there's an unusual situation. Painting around stuff you don't
want to get paint on is done all the time and is no big deal. Tape the
tile where needed, use some drop cloths and don't push the roller
around too fast. Better quality paint is also less likely to splatter.

The tile work will probably leave thinset/grout smears on the painted
surfaces and there will almost certainly be some touch up painting
needed after the tile is done anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"dk" wrote in message
I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly painted
walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my new tile?
Any advice would be appreciated.

I always paint last, no matter what the room.
Masking tape and plastic painters' sheeting is cheap, and new paint can be
vulnerable - not just to mortar dust, but to abrasion and other tool marks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg

dk wrote:

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

I'm a remodel contractor and I always paint first. Any grout or thinset can
be wiped off with water and sponge same goes for dust. I don't like
spending the time masking and covering. Touch up is easy and fast. The time
it takes masking you'd be done painting.

Rich

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:
dk wrote:

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

I'm a remodel contractor and I always paint first. Any grout or thinset can
be wiped off with water and sponge same goes for dust. I don't like
spending the time masking and covering. Touch up is easy and fast. The time
it takes masking you'd be done painting.

Rich

Paint in the bathroom should be gloss/semi which is much harder to spot
touch-up. I don't think I would want to hire a remodel contractor who
is too lazy to mask and cover things.

Tile first, mask and cover, then paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

evodawg wrote:
dk wrote:

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm a remodel contractor and I always paint first. Any grout or thinset can
be wiped off with water and sponge same goes for dust. I don't like
spending the time masking and covering. Touch up is easy and fast. The time
it takes masking you'd be done painting.

The OP is having the tile demoed, which means that the substrate
(backerboard or drywall) will be coming out, too. How do you paint up
to an edge that's being removed?

I'd agree with the painting first if it was something like hanging some
cabinets where the touch-ups would be minimal, but removing tile will
require more than just a touch-up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg

RicodJour wrote:

evodawg wrote:
dk wrote:

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves
the demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will
cause a lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my
newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm a remodel contractor and I always paint first. Any grout or thinset
can be wiped off with water and sponge same goes for dust. I don't like
spending the time masking and covering. Touch up is easy and fast. The
time it takes masking you'd be done painting.

The OP is having the tile demoed, which means that the substrate
(backerboard or drywall) will be coming out, too. How do you paint up
to an edge that's being removed?

You paint it when it's been replaced. Come on

I'd agree with the painting first if it was something like hanging some
cabinets where the touch-ups would be minimal, but removing tile will
require more than just a touch-up.

If your doing a tear out then you are replacing it with something, Right?

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg

3rd eye wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:18:48 GMT, evodawg
wrote:

dk wrote:

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

I'm a remodel contractor and I always paint first.

Yea right!

Paint before demo.
Makes sense to me.

1. Troll. #1 places bet
2. Troll #2 raises

3. Thats me! I'll call & raise.

Get real you idiot who the **** would paint before tear out you fool. that"s
not what their asking you fool
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg

wrote:

evodawg wrote:
dk wrote:

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves
the demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will
cause a lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my
newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

I'm a remodel contractor and I always paint first. Any grout or thinset
can be wiped off with water and sponge same goes for dust. I don't like
spending the time masking and covering. Touch up is easy and fast. The
time it takes masking you'd be done painting.

Rich

Paint in the bathroom should be gloss/semi which is much harder to spot
touch-up. I don't think I would want to hire a remodel contractor who
is too lazy to mask and cover things.

Why the **** mask or cover anything when you don't need too, you idiot!!

Tile first, mask and cover, then paint.

Lazy you fool??? There is a right way and a wrong way to do things and
obvious you don't have a clue. Would you like to see some pictures of
some of my remodeled bathrooms? I know plenty about semi gloss paint and
smooth surface, knock down texture, texture and all the rest so don't even
go there.

This is the step for you idiots that think you know whats up. Demo/tearout
wiring, plumbing, hardie board, large fixtures, drywall, paint, tile,grout,
(light fixtures electrical and plumbing) touch up paint never very much for
me just a few brush strokes. Your ****ing done idiot. Now go **** down
someones back and tell them you have a ****ing idea what your doing. YOU
DON'T
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

dk wrote:

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

If dust is the only "damage", it is simple to remove with vacuum or damp
cloth. The major concern is the newly painted wall being dented or
scraped during remodel. If you will be caulking anything up to the
painted wall during the remodel, then painting first would be best. The
new tile job can be protected with tarps and tape, but your concern is
understood. I save old plastic shower curtains for my messy jobs.
Either way, you just need to be careful, especially if mixing or pouring
paint on a new tile floor. I once refinished dark kitchen cabinets for
a friend, just after she put down a new white tile floor. Made me a
nervous wreck but nothing got spilled on the white grout )
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:34:04 -0500, dk wrote:

I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the
demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a
lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly
painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my
new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

A very intersting thread with such total disagreement.

I have no experience but two things to consider.

Is it possible what you are painting will be damaged when the tile is
removed? Does that mean you should paint second, or only that you
will need to touch up the places, if any, where it borders the tile?

You will have to dust the painted area regardless, EITHER because you
paint first and the tile removal makes it dusty; OR because the tile
removal makes it dusty and you don't want to paint something that is
dusty.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

evodawg wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

evodawg wrote:
dk wrote:

[...]

One would assume so. The OP was asking about demoing the tile first or
painting first. You've made an assumption and are reacting poorly to
others taking exception with your assumption. Perhaps your advice may
have been more kindly viewed if you explained that you meant that the
demo should be completed the walls patched, then paint, then tile.

Reading between the lines, it seems to me that the OP is planning on
doing the painting himself. As a contractor I would not be thrilled
with the prospect of starting a job then having to wait on the owner to
complete the painting before I could complete the project. I'd also be
concerned with an antsy owner getting their knickers in a knot because
of a ding to their beautiful new paint job. More to the point, isn't
it safe to assume that the bathroom will be repainted before the tile
is replaced? Painters work in finished rooms all of the time.
Planning on doing touch-up painting is planning on doing something
twice. I don't see the benefit.

You have you way of doing it, and that's fine. Unfortunately you lose
credibility when you fly off the handle when someone disagrees with
you. Usenet demands thicker skin.

Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

I have been doing baths for over 20 years. Painting is one of the last
things done. Makes no sense to paint than do demo/rebuild than touch up the
paint. That just seems like painting twice and with semi gloss touch ups are
hard to hide. I don't know how you can install and paint baseboard before a
floor is installed.
There will be touch up. Removing flooring sheets and manuvering them out
always seems to bump a wall and any cement with wire lath always seems to
find a way to scratch.
Any painter can cut in around tile. The ones I use don't even mask it off.
If you are not that confident lay down a drop cloth. Even a big spill, on
tile, will wipe off easy.
Demo, prep wall/floor surfaces, set tile, install door/window casings,
baseboards, paint, install toilet, cabs/counter med chest etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H.

dk writes:
I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves
the demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will
cause a lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my
newly painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills
on my new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

Either way is plausible. Myself, I'd paint last for the cleanest
lines. With even a modicum of care and preparation with masking the
tiles with tape and thin plastic drop cloths, you won't get any paint
on the new tile.

Before you go through the fun of ripping out the tile, is it in decent
structural shape? If so, you might join me in being shocked and
thrilled with what tile refinishing can get you with a big bang for
thebuck. I had some ugly blue/green tile and very stained grout
refinished white, and it looks incredible. The local guy used this
process:
http://kottkoatings.com/koated_gallery.html

If doing the resurfacing, I'd probably paint the room first, then turn
the refinisher loose since putting adhesives of any sort on refinished
tile is a no no.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.