Posted to alt.home.repair
Todd H.

Default Bathroom remodeling advice needed

dk writes:
I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves
the demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will
cause a lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my
newly painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills
on my new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.

Either way is plausible. Myself, I'd paint last for the cleanest
lines. With even a modicum of care and preparation with masking the
tiles with tape and thin plastic drop cloths, you won't get any paint
on the new tile.

Before you go through the fun of ripping out the tile, is it in decent
structural shape? If so, you might join me in being shocked and
thrilled with what tile refinishing can get you with a big bang for
thebuck. I had some ugly blue/green tile and very stained grout
refinished white, and it looks incredible. The local guy used this
process:
http://kottkoatings.com/koated_gallery.html

If doing the resurfacing, I'd probably paint the room first, then turn
the refinisher loose since putting adhesives of any sort on refinished
tile is a no no.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.