Posted to alt.home.repair
anne

Default Washing machine draining problem

My washing machine is holding its water just fine when no agitating is
going on, but as soon as the agitating begins the water starts to drain
away until it is almost all gone and machine needs to refill. One wash
load last night emptied my hot water tank! What is the matter with it
and is this something that I can fix myself? The machine is really
really old, but has been great and I really don't want to pay for a new
one. Thank you.
Anne

Posted to alt.home.repair
A Veteran for Peace

In article .com,
"anne" wrote:

My washing machine is holding its water just fine when no agitating is
going on, but as soon as the agitating begins the water starts to drain
away until it is almost all gone and machine needs to refill. One wash
load last night emptied my hot water tank! What is the matter with it
and is this something that I can fix myself? The machine is really
really old, but has been great and I really don't want to pay for a new
one. Thank you.
Anne

well, the first guess , is the solenoid that lets water in. If it sticks/
water will keep coming in.
You could switch the hot/cold hoses and see what happens.
good luck!

--
Impeach Bush ! a noble cause
Operation Iraqi Liberation = O.I.L.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

In really old GE washers, draining during agitation was caused by a
defective rubber flapper valve in the pump. Other washers have used other
methods. I doubt you can fix it yourself unless you are pretty handy with
mechanical troubleshooting and repairs.
Don Young
"anne" wrote in message
oups.com...
My washing machine is holding its water just fine when no agitating is
going on, but as soon as the agitating begins the water starts to drain
away until it is almost all gone and machine needs to refill. One wash
load last night emptied my hot water tank! What is the matter with it
and is this something that I can fix myself? The machine is really
really old, but has been great and I really don't want to pay for a new
one. Thank you.
Anne

Posted to alt.home.repair
Suzie-Q

In article .com,
"anne" wrote:

- My washing machine is holding its water just fine when no agitating is
- going on, but as soon as the agitating begins the water starts to drain
- away until it is almost all gone and machine needs to refill. One wash
- load last night emptied my hot water tank! What is the matter with it
- and is this something that I can fix myself? The machine is really
- really old, but has been great and I really don't want to pay for a new
- one. Thank you.
- Anne
-

Wow, Anne. You actually got answers. I asked about my washing machine
and got nothing but grief. Oh well.
--
8^(~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~