Brigitte

Default GE Profile Washing machine problem...

Hi Group,
Not sure this is the right group for this question, if it isn't please point
me in the right direction.

I purchased the above-mentioned washing machine approximately 6 years ago.
I've had no problems with it until today. It was in the middle of a wash
cycle when there was a loud bang that sounded like something heavy fell in
the laundry room.

I opened the lid to the washer and it was still agitating, but the center
agitator was tilting way over to one side. The machine will still operate,
but it's very noisy and that agitator is leaning badly, so I turned off the
machine.

Any idea what the problem could be? Is this an expensive/difficult fix?

Is it time to buy a new front loading machine? )

Any helpful input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brigitte

Ed

"Brigitte" wrote

Is it time to buy a new front loading machine? )

Yes, if that's what you really want.
http://www.estateappliances.com/shop...elNo=TAWS750PQ
$329, it's all you need.

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

GE Profile Washing machine

Not a model# !

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

I opened the lid to the washer and it was still
agitating, but the center agitator was tilting way over to one side**

The whole tubs are leaning to one side?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Brigitte

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

GE Profile Washing machine

Not a model# !

I don't know where to find the model #...

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

I opened the lid to the washer and it was still
agitating, but the center agitator was tilting way over to one side**

The whole tubs are leaning to one side?

Yes, the whole tub is leaning to one side.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Brigitte

"Ed" wrote in message

"Brigitte" wrote

Is it time to buy a new front loading machine? )

Yes, if that's what you really want.

http://www.estateappliances.com/shop...elNo=TAWS750PQ
$329, it's all you need.

That's a top-loading machine, but thanks

Brigitte

Appliance Repair Aid

Brigitte wrote:
I don't know where to find the model #...

That is what this was for...
LINK http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Brigitte

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brigitte wrote:
I don't know where to find the model #...

That is what this was for...
LINK http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

I looked at the link, but I'm unable to pull the washing machine out from
the closet it's in, so I can't view the model#.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Brigitte

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

GE Profile Washing machine

Not a model# !

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

I opened the lid to the washer and it was still
agitating, but the center agitator was tilting way over to one side**

The whole tubs are leaning to one side?

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

After looking at the link you provided, my uneducated guess would be that
there's a problem with the rod/spring assemblies. The way the washing
machine tub seemed to fall to one side, and will operate normally if I hold
the basket and agitator upright.

I hope I'm right, as it seems this could be a relatively simple fix. On
Saturday I'll disassemble the machine and see if it's as easy as I imagine.

Brigitte

Appliance Repair Aid

Brigitte wrote:
After looking at the link you provided, my uneducated guess would be that
there's a problem with the rod/spring assemblies. The way the washing
machine tub seemed to fall to one side, and will operate normally if I hold
the basket and agitator upright.

I hope I'm right, as it seems this could be a relatively simple fix. On
Saturday I'll disassemble the machine and see if it's as easy as I imagine.

Brigitte

Hi,

If you have one of the newer plastic tub GE washers, it may be one of
the 4 suspension rods/shocks has come apart or fallen off.

http://www.applianceaid.com/genew.html#new_access
Access helps.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=278863 Rod & spring
assembly, front

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=278886 Suspension rod
and spring assembly, black

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brigitte wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jeff...

I finally had a chance to disassembe the washing machine down as far as I
needed, and discovered that it was the rod and spring assembly, part number
278885. I ordered it today from the repair clinic and hope to have it
assembled and in working order by the weekend.

Thank you so much for your advice and links.

A female friend of mine, who is also "single" was so impressed with me
diagnosing and my probable ability to fix this problem, has asked me to
repair her dishwasher.

I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy, but how much damage can I do...

Thanks again,
Brigitte

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Brigitte wrote:
Thanks Jeff...

I finally had a chance to disassembe the washing machine down as far as I
needed, and discovered that it was the rod and spring assembly, part number
278885. I ordered it today from the repair clinic and hope to have it
assembled and in working order by the weekend.

Thank you so much for your advice and links.

A female friend of mine, who is also "single" was so impressed with me
diagnosing and my probable ability to fix this problem, has asked me to
repair her dishwasher.

I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy, but how much damage can I do...

Thanks again,
Brigitte

Thankx for the update!

Good luck with the repair(s) ;-)

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brigitte wrote:
Thanks Jeff...

I finally had a chance to disassembe the washing machine down as far as

needed, and discovered that it was the rod and spring assembly, part

number
278885. I ordered it today from the repair clinic and hope to have it
assembled and in working order by the weekend.

Thank you so much for your advice and links.

A female friend of mine, who is also "single" was so impressed with me
diagnosing and my probable ability to fix this problem, has asked me to
repair her dishwasher.

I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy, but how much damage can I

do...

Thanks again,
Brigitte

Thankx for the update!

Good luck with the repair(s) ;-)

Part received and replaced.

I wonder how much money I saved myself...hmmmm

Brigitte

Posted to alt.home.repair
Appliance Repair Aid

Glad you got it all done!

I wonder how much money I saved myself...hmmmm

Probably 100-150 dollars.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/