Posted to alt.home.repair
Brigitte

Default GE Profile Washing machine problem...

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brigitte wrote:
After looking at the link you provided, my uneducated guess would be

that
there's a problem with the rod/spring assemblies. The way the washing
machine tub seemed to fall to one side, and will operate normally if I

hold
the basket and agitator upright.

I hope I'm right, as it seems this could be a relatively simple fix. On
Saturday I'll disassemble the machine and see if it's as easy as I

imagine.

Brigitte

Hi,

If you have one of the newer plastic tub GE washers, it may be one of
the 4 suspension rods/shocks has come apart or fallen off.

http://www.applianceaid.com/genew.html#new_access
Access helps.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=278863 Rod & spring
assembly, front

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=278886 Suspension rod
and spring assembly, black

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Thanks Jeff...

I finally had a chance to disassembe the washing machine down as far as I
needed, and discovered that it was the rod and spring assembly, part number
278885. I ordered it today from the repair clinic and hope to have it
assembled and in working order by the weekend.

Thank you so much for your advice and links.

A female friend of mine, who is also "single" was so impressed with me
diagnosing and my probable ability to fix this problem, has asked me to
repair her dishwasher.

I'm thinking it's not going to be as easy, but how much damage can I do...

Thanks again,
Brigitte