Dinah

Default Washing machine problem

When I went out to put a load of clothes in the dryer the washer was full of
water. It went thru the washing cycle but never moved past that. I moved
the dial around and it will start washing at every mode but will stop and
never go any further. It won't pump, rinse or spin. Could someone tell me
what the problem is and is it expensive to repair.

TIA

PaPaPeng

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:30:51 GMT, "Dinah"
wrote:

When I went out to put a load of clothes in the dryer the washer was full of
water. It went thru the washing cycle but never moved past that. I moved
the dial around and it will start washing at every mode but will stop and
never go any further. It won't pump, rinse or spin. Could someone tell me
what the problem is and is it expensive to repair.

TIA

Quite likely the timer mechanism is gone. Unplug it from the power
supply before working on it.

If your washer has one of those older electromechanical time, most
likely since your setting is by a rotary dial, unscrew the control
panel and take a look at the mechanism. The timer's wire harness has
keyed connectors, so it is easy to replug the unit correctly. Rotate
the dial it for a few times and see if the timing tabs or the gear
teeth are missing. The tabs and gear are plastic and some of the
broken parts may even fall out. Shake the timer to see if there are
any broken parts. If the timer is faulty or broken just remove it and
bring it to the appliance parts shop for a replacement module. Its not
repairable or certainly not worth repairing. Its a long time since I
bought the part for around $50 (I think)
Appliance Repair Aid

Dinah wrote:
When I went out to put a load of clothes in the dryer the washer was full of
water. It went thru the washing cycle but never moved past that. I moved
the dial around and it will start washing at every mode but will stop and
never go any further. It won't pump, rinse or spin. Could someone tell me
what the problem is and is it expensive to repair.

TIA

Hi,

No mention of washer make, model#, approx age??....but some direct
drive style washers ( some Kenmores, Whirlpools ) will fill and agitate
only but will not spin or drain if the lid switch/lid switch probe is
bad.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

PaPaPeng

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:14:08 GMT, PaPaPeng wrote:

If the timer is faulty or broken just remove it and
bring it to the appliance parts shop for a replacement module. Its not
repairable or certainly not worth repairing. Its a long time since I
bought the part for around $50 (I think)

If you can take it out just bring it to the shop and ask the
partsperson if that timer module is OK or needs replacement. Else
Jeff's diagnosis about the lid switch sounds likely. It is a safety
interlock switch that won't allow the drum to spin when the cover is
open (ie switch is open)

"If you can take it out just bring it to the shop and ask the
partsperson if that timer module is OK or needs replacement. "

Now that'a a new one. And how is the parts counter persons supposed to
figure out if the timer/control unit is good or bad?

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dinah wrote:
When I went out to put a load of clothes in the dryer the washer was full
of
water. It went thru the washing cycle but never moved past that. I
moved
the dial around and it will start washing at every mode but will stop and
never go any further. It won't pump, rinse or spin. Could someone tell
me
what the problem is and is it expensive to repair.

TIA

Hi,

No mention of washer make, model#, approx age??....but some direct
drive style washers ( some Kenmores, Whirlpools ) will fill and agitate
only but will not spin or drain if the lid switch/lid switch probe is
bad.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

That was my first thought, too. Look at the lid to see if there is a
plunger that depresses a safety switch,. If there's a switch and no plunger
(unlikely), glue something like a dowel there as a replacement. If there's
a plunger and a switch, try pressing the switch down with a screwdriver or a
pencil. If it works, that's your problem. I kept a machine going for years
with a bit of plastic glued to the top of the switch for bulk. When the
switch itself finally broke, it was not an expensive part, just had to pull
the skin to get at it.

Dinah

You and k hit the nail on the head. After reading your message I went out
and checked the plunger/switch lid and the plunger was there but the switch
thingie had fallen down on top of the tub. Looked as tho it had rusted out.
Appliance repair guy coming Monday. Thanks to all for their response.

Dinah wrote:
[...]

Self-Reproducing Machine Tools Doug Goncz Metalworking 17 July 13th 17 05:57 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
egg/sulphur smells from washing machine Alan Simpson UK diy 4 April 24th 04 12:56 PM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:09 AM