Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas range dont always ignite

I have a gas range and the automatic igniter does not always click
(spark). When it clicks, it lights, but half the time it does not
click. This is on ALL 4 burners. What should I check? All tips
appreciated. I'm not real familiar with them. (Yes, I am turning it
to the correct position for lighting).

The range is a Lady Kenmore (I think it's about 6 to 8 years old)
The rest of the range works fine. It's on propane, which does not
really matter.

Thanks

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:03:49 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I have a gas range and the automatic igniter does not always click
(spark). When it clicks, it lights, but half the time it does not
click. This is on ALL 4 burners. What should I check? All tips
appreciated. I'm not real familiar with them. (Yes, I am turning it
to the correct position for lighting).

The range is a Lady Kenmore (I think it's about 6 to 8 years old)
The rest of the range works fine. It's on propane, which does not
really matter.

Thanks

Mark

Buried somewhere (mine is the very back bottom right side) is the
transformer that provides the high voltage for the spark. Chances are it is
going out. It could also be a wiring problem, but I would guess that would
not work sometimes and not others.

Thanks Joseph

I will see what I can find. I was wondering if there could be a
problem with the *switch* that is supposed to start the spark, but
since it's on ALL burners, I assume each has it's own. Guess I will
have to just dig into it. Any idea what the voltage is coming from
that transformer? I may be able to rip one out of an old stove that I
am planning to the dump. (different brand, but if I can mount it, I
would guess it would work, because that stove always lit).

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Kraus

I will see what I can find. I was wondering if there could be a
problem with the *switch* that is supposed to start the spark, but
since it's on ALL burners, I assume each has it's own. Guess I will
have to just dig into it. Any idea what the voltage is coming from
that transformer? I may be able to rip one out of an old stove that I
am planning to the dump. (different brand, but if I can mount it, I
would guess it would work, because that stove always lit).

If it's similar to the Kitchenaid cooktop I am familar with each gas valve
does indeed have its own switch but two spark gaps are each shared by two
burners. With the same problem on all burners the switches are probably
not to blame. The HV source is not a transformer per se but a spark
generating module. It's similar to what is used on many gas furnaces
except that those are usually 24 VAC in while the stove's probably runs
directly on 120 VAC.

The one from the old stove will probably work just fine. Don't zap
yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
[...]

I think calling it a transformer is not exactly the best term. I could
not remember what the proper term was. It was called a spark modular and
it cost me about $25.00 including tax. BTW I spent weeks trying to find a
wiring diagram to try and pin down where it was and what other parts might
cause the problem. When I finally got the part and figured I would just
take things apart until I found it, I pulled the stove out and found the
wiring diagram pasted to the back of the stove.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit