matt p

Default Fixing a broken shower handle

Hi Everyone,

I just moved into a condo built in 99 and it apears that the handle in
the shower/tub has broken off. The single handle is a Delta brand and
I was wondering if this is the type of project that I can do by myself
or if i'm better off calling a plumber. I've tried loking for a screw
or something but can't seem to locate where it would attach to the
broken shower handle.

If it is a DIY type project, any tips or instructions on how to fix
this?

Also, since it's a condo, I don't have access to any shutoffs for water
that feeds into the shower/tub unless it runs off the same shutoffs
that control the sink.

I've never had to do anything like this so it is extremely intimidating
for me right now, thanks for any help anyone can provide!

-Matt

Patrick Cleburne

"matt p" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Everyone,

I just moved into a condo built in 99 and it apears that the handle in
the shower/tub has broken off. The single handle is a Delta brand and
I was wondering if this is the type of project that I can do by myself
or if i'm better off calling a plumber. I've tried loking for a screw
or something but can't seem to locate where it would attach to the
broken shower handle.

If it is a DIY type project, any tips or instructions on how to fix
this?

Also, since it's a condo, I don't have access to any shutoffs for water
that feeds into the shower/tub unless it runs off the same shutoffs
that control the sink.

I've never had to do anything like this so it is extremely intimidating
for me right now, thanks for any help anyone can provide!

-Matt

Post a link to a picture so we can see what it is-- or head on down to Home
Depot or a plumbing supply place and look for a similar model to see how to
get it off.

Pat

matt p

Thanks for the reply. I believe that the model is similar to this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...323&lpage=none

It's a pretty basic model. Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
matt p wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I just moved into a condo built in 99 and it apears that the handle in
the shower/tub has broken off. The single handle is a Delta brand and
I was wondering if this is the type of project that I can do by myself
or if i'm better off calling a plumber. I've tried loking for a screw
or something but can't seem to locate where it would attach to the
broken shower handle.

If part of the handle is still there, there is probably a set screw
needing an allan key to remove it. If its all gone, there will be a rod
sticking out with either a threaded hole in the end, or marks on the
side where a set screw was on it. Depends on type of handle. Can be
either a plastic knob or a metal lever with a ball on the end.

See what they look like at the borg. You should be able to get a
replacement there.

Also, since it's a condo, I don't have access to any shutoffs for water
that feeds into the shower/tub unless it runs off the same shutoffs
that control the sink.

There SHOULD be a master valve that cuts off the whole unit's water
somewhere. May be near the water meter or may be inside or outside the
unit. Note. "SHOULD be" not "is".

If its just the handle, it can be put on without cutting off the water.

wkearney99

Also, since it's a condo, I don't have access to any shutoffs for water
that feeds into the shower/tub unless it runs off the same shutoffs
that control the sink.

That's unlikely. If it's a condo then you probably have your own water
meter. That and the building code requires a shut-off per dwelling unit,
not just for the entire building. It's there, you just don't know where
yet.

I've never had to do anything like this so it is extremely intimidating
for me right now, thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Since it's a Delta it's pretty likely your average home supply store will
have replacement parts. If not just the handle then for the entire
cartridge assembly. Call Delta's 800 number and talk with one of their reps
about it, or visit their website. They'll probably be able to explain
'enough of it' to you to decide if you want to do it yourself. Replacing a
shower cartridge doesn't require much in the way of tools. Sometimes
there's deep socket needed, along with an allen wrench or two. But nothing
out of the ordinary or expensive.

But if you need to replace anything more than just the handle then you WILL
need to shut off the water.

Dan_Musicant

On 10 Nov 2005 12:02:20 -0800, "matt p" wrote:

:
:I've never had to do anything like this so it is extremely intimidating
:for me right now, thanks for any help anyone can provide!
:
:-Matt

Hi Matt,

I think you will find that it's not as hard as you thought. I understand
that it's intimidating, but once you start doing things like this you
start gaining confidence. The advice given by others in this thread is
good. There's sure to be a water cutoff for your condo, but as remarked,
you may well not need to shut off the water to replace the handle. It's
probably just a matter of finding how to get the broken handle off, take
it to a store and get a replacement and attach the replacement.

Dan

Shower bath mixer tap woes Andy UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 04:43 PM
Crosslide Crank and Handle on 12" Crafstmas Lathe Terry Metalworking 4 July 20th 05 10:54 AM
How to fix/seal plastic shower stall Actor123 Home Repair 0 February 4th 05 11:23 PM
Shower screen grumble... David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 September 5th 03 06:49 PM
shower drain for tiled shower floor g UK diy 3 September 2nd 03 02:55 AM