cyberodies

Default Vinyl replacement windows

We want to have vinyl replacement windows installed in our 16 year old
home in MN. We have narrowed it down to Home Depot's windows made by
Simonton windows and a local contracter who uses Hurd windows.

Anyone have any thoughts pro and/or con regarding these two
manufactures of windows?

Thank you very much in advance.

Muvin Gruvin

No experience with those brands. But Home Depot does sell Milgard
windows.
Bought my house (new) in 97 it has....Milgard windows with a lifetime
warranty. One skylight got water between the panes .......Milgard came
out and replaced entire thing no charge at all.

Sandy K.

"cyberodies" wrote in message
oups.com...
We want to have vinyl replacement windows installed in our 16 year old
home in MN. We have narrowed it down to Home Depot's windows made by
Simonton windows and a local contracter who uses Hurd windows.

Anyone have any thoughts pro and/or con regarding these two
manufactures of windows?

Thank you very much in advance.

Used to own a condo that was built in the mid-1980's with Hurd windows.
They were horrible. Plastic parts were constantly breaking off.

Good luck.

josh

"cyberodies" wrote in message
We want to have vinyl replacement windows installed in our 16 year old
home in MN. We have narrowed it down to Home Depot's windows made by
Simonton windows and a local contracter who uses Hurd windows.

Anyone have any thoughts pro and/or con regarding these two
manufactures of windows?

Thank you very much in advance.

Personally, I wouldn't shop windows at HD. I won't say anything about Hurd,
because they're not competitive in my area.

You could give Alsides a call or stop in, ask for a list of contractors
known for window installations. They're in MN, but only you would know how
close they are to you. They have a good name and a decent product, they back
their products as long as they're installed properly.
http://www.alside.com/locations.aspx#Minnesota

http://www.alside.com/index.aspx?page=510

Rastus

josh wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't shop windows at HD.

I guess I don't see your reasoning on this. I happen to like Anderson
windows. Medium priced window. HD was $35 dollars per window cheaper than
another local supplier for the same window, right down to the same part
numbers. I needed 19 windows, the difference between suppliers was $665
dollars. Quite a bit when you are trying to replace windows on a budget!

josh

"Rastus" wrote
josh wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't shop windows at HD.

I guess I don't see your reasoning on this. I happen to like Anderson
windows. Medium priced window. HD was $35 dollars per window cheaper than
another local supplier for the same window, right down to the same part
numbers. I needed 19 windows, the difference between suppliers was $665
dollars. Quite a bit when you are trying to replace windows on a budget!

HD has products manufactured to their specifications. Though I don't know if
their windows are or not, I can't find myself to deal with people which run
away at the first question.

Being I'm a contractor, I find my suppliers much more helpful, and I pay
less than at big box stores. I will tell you, I have asked at HD some four
years ago, about certain items, and they couldn't get them. The manufacture
wouldn't sell them the same product sold to wholesalers. Four years ago was
the last time I stepped into a box store for any type of supplies.

I would shudder at the thought of trying to get a manufacturers rep, through
one of the box stores.

I'm sure you got the same part numbers, as you could get at another
retailer.

Trout-hunter

We are having 42 replacement windows installed next week. Allside was
the manufacturer we selected due to the quality of the product and the
references we viewed.

I agree with Josh. Allside has a terrific reputation and many solid
features.

I did find it interesting that between the three quotes we got, the
delta was almost 8000 from the highest to the lowest.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/10/05 07:36 pm josh tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

[...]

*You* may get a better price at your suppliers than you would at HD, but
Joe Homeowner might not -- even if your suppliers would sell to
homeowners at all.

And even if you paid *more* at your suppliers than at HD, why should you
care? You're going to pass the cost om (plus a mrkup?) to your customers
anyway.

Perce
calhoun

"Rastus" wrote in message
josh wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't shop windows at HD.

I guess I don't see your reasoning on this. I happen to like Anderson
windows. Medium priced window. HD was $35 dollars per window cheaper than
another local supplier for the same window, right down to the same part
numbers. I needed 19 windows, the difference between suppliers was $665
dollars. Quite a bit when you are trying to replace windows on a budget!

Be careful when comparing Home Depots in store windows to Home Depots
installed sales windows. Around here the in store windows are American
Craftsman (crapsman), very inexpensive. If you contract for window
installation they use a Simonton window which is much better quality.

Rastus

calhoun wrote:

Be careful when comparing Home Depots in store windows to Home Depots
installed sales windows. Around here the in store windows are American
Craftsman (crapsman), very inexpensive. If you contract for window
installation they use a Simonton window which is much better quality.

Wow! I never realised there was differences in Home Depots.
Up here (Iron Mountain, Mi) the in-store windows are Anderson and Jeld-Wen.
Never heard of American Craftsman.

George E. Cawthon

Rastus wrote:
calhoun wrote:

Be careful when comparing Home Depots in store windows to Home Depots
installed sales windows. Around here the in store windows are American
Craftsman (crapsman), very inexpensive. If you contract for window
installation they use a Simonton window which is much better quality.

Wow! I never realised there was differences in Home Depots.
Up here (Iron Mountain, Mi) the in-store windows are Anderson and Jeld-Wen.
Never heard of American Craftsman.

Here in Boise, they also sell Anderson and
Jeld-Wen. I would imagine that the shipping rate
is a key factor in the purchase of windows by Home
Depot, so the brand sold could be different in
different states. However, the same brand in MI
and ID tends to negate that theory.

I can't see how the installed windows and the
instore windows would be different, unless the
store changed brands that they purchased.
calhoun

Wow, around here there is no such thing as a vinyl Anderson replacement
window. In fact the only Anderson replacement window is a sash kit that only
fits Anderson windows and it is clad wood. HD does have a large selection of
the Anderson and Jeld wen new construction units though.

"Rastus" wrote in message
calhoun wrote:

Be careful when comparing Home Depots in store windows to Home Depots
installed sales windows. Around here the in store windows are American
Craftsman (crapsman), very inexpensive. If you contract for window
installation they use a Simonton window which is much better quality.

Wow! I never realised there was differences in Home Depots.
Up here (Iron Mountain, Mi) the in-store windows are Anderson and
Jeld-Wen.
Never heard of American Craftsman.

josh

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote
*You* may get a better price at your suppliers than you would at HD, but
Joe Homeowner might not -- even if your suppliers would sell to
homeowners at all.

And even if you paid *more* at your suppliers than at HD, why should you
care? You're going to pass the cost om (plus a mrkup?) to your customers
anyway.

Perce

The point was, you get better products at a competitive price.

I care, because I don't believe in installing, what I consider garbage. Of
course the end user will absorb the cost. What makes you think I could/would
or afford to pay for anyone's project?