Mark Corbelli

Default dryer squeaks

The drum on my Maytag dryer has begun to sqeak. What can I do to lube it?

Joseph Meehan

Mark Corbelli wrote:
The drum on my Maytag dryer has begun to sqeak. What can I do to lube
it?

Likely you just replace the belt. Easy to do and cheap. A couple of
screws along the bottom of the front opens it right up.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Appliance Repair Aid

Mark Corbelli wrote:
The drum on my Maytag dryer has begun to sqeak. What can I do to lube it?

Hi,

Model#, approx age??

The "drum" won't likely squeak...but the drum support wheels may. Belt
won't squeak either...idler pulley and motor are next common trouble
makers.

Lube -usually- won't last long and may attract dust/dirt. Replacing the
effected part(s) is usually best.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jeff Wisnia

Mark Corbelli wrote:
The drum on my Maytag dryer has begun to sqeak. What can I do to lube it?

FWIW my GE dryer started to squeek mightily and an open up and look see
revealed a safety pin stuck in the felt front drum "bearing" strip. It
was being rubbed on by the drum's bearing surface.

Probably, because over 30 years ago I got in the habit of using safety
pins to join my dirty socks at the toes before I tossed them in the
laundry bin.

Don't trouble yourself telling me they make plastic gizmos for holding
pairs of socks together in the wash, I know that already. But, safety
pins work well enough for me and one squeeking dryer drum in all those
years is below my cutoff limit anyway. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Joseph Meehan

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
Mark Corbelli wrote:
The drum on my Maytag dryer has begun to sqeak. What can I do to
lube it?

Hi,

Model#, approx age??

The "drum" won't likely squeak...but the drum support wheels may. Belt
won't squeak either...idler pulley and motor are next common trouble
makers.

I don't know how common it is, but belts can cause a squeak, at least
mine did. Replacing the belt and nothing else cleared up the noise. I
might add that the belt did need replacement and if the OP's original belt
needs replacement then doing so is a good free (it is due anyway) idea. If
it does not work, at least you got a new belt.

Lube -usually- won't last long and may attract dust/dirt. Replacing
the effected part(s) is usually best.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Stormin Mormon

The little idler wheels in the back of the drum are the usual suspect. Dry
silicone or graphite helps. For awhile.

Usually a PIA to get the dryer apart.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark Corbelli wrote:
The drum on my Maytag dryer has begun to sqeak. What can I do to lube it?

Hi,

Model#, approx age??

The "drum" won't likely squeak...but the drum support wheels may. Belt
won't squeak either...idler pulley and motor are next common trouble
makers.

Lube -usually- won't last long and may attract dust/dirt. Replacing the
effected part(s) is usually best.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

My 10-year-old dryer I got for free from my in-laws' old house starting
squeaking at 15 years of age. I ignored it (which is free, too). It's
now 30 years old and still squeaks. But it still works, too. And it
still doesn't cost me anything extra.

Patrick Cleburne

wrote in message
ups.com...
My 10-year-old dryer I got for free from my in-laws' old house starting
squeaking at 15 years of age. I ignored it (which is free, too). It's
now 30 years old and still squeaks. But it still works, too. And it
still doesn't cost me anything extra.

Imagine how long it would last if you shot some lube onto that squeaking
idler pulley axle ;-)

Pat

Dryer too hot in back Vinnie Boombotts Home Repair 6 October 13th 05 01:49 PM
Whirlpool Electric Dryer Problem Hoopster Home Repair 7 July 14th 05 02:09 PM
dryer vent location John Home Repair 7 June 14th 05 04:31 AM
Green wire on Dryer? Duncan Tuna Home Repair 4 April 25th 05 11:40 AM
Can I plug my 230V compressor (NEMA 6-20P) into a dryer (NEMA 10-30R) receptacle? Martin Mickston Home Ownership 1 October 25th 04 04:17 PM