geodav

Default toilet clogs easily

It's pretty easy to stop up the toilet. It gets plenty of water and a
good flush normally, but sometimes it will get clogged up and we have to
use a plunger to get it working again.
Any ideas?

Pat

Buy a better toilet.

you may want to run a closet auger into it a few times in case
something is clogged in it.,once had one that would flush water but not
solids, had a pencil stuck in it,once a toy. clean the holes under the
rim out with a nail or screw, make sure the vent pipe on roof is open by
running water into it with hose.

Dr. Hardcrab

"geodav" wrote in message
It's pretty easy to stop up the toilet. It gets plenty of water and a
good flush normally, but sometimes it will get clogged up and we have to
use a plunger to get it working again.
Any ideas?

Do you have a septic tank or are you on "city" sewage?

If you have your own tank, when was the last time you had it pumped out?

Mikepier

stool softener

evodawg

geodav wrote:

It's pretty easy to stop up the toilet. It gets plenty of water and a
good flush normally, but sometimes it will get clogged up and we have to
use a plunger to get it working again.
Any ideas?

Do you have small children? If so you might have a small toy stuck in it. If
something is stuck in the p trap of toilet you probably won't be able to
get it out. Might be time for a new one.

Rich

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
bc

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in

"geodav" wrote in message
It's pretty easy to stop up the toilet. It gets plenty of water and
a good flush normally, but sometimes it will get clogged up and we
have to use a plunger to get it working again.
Any ideas?

Do you have a septic tank or are you on "city" sewage?

If you have your own tank, when was the last time you had it pumped
out?

That's the right things to consider. Might also want to check vent
pipes, too, look for bird's nests or other clogs.
Sacramento Dave

"geodav" wrote in message
It's pretty easy to stop up the toilet. It gets plenty of water and a
good flush normally, but sometimes it will get clogged up and we have to
use a plunger to get it working again.
Any ideas?

Are any pets missing ( kitten size)

Try removing the toilet and look for anything stuck at the discharge outlet
on the bottom. Our kids threw a round metal lid from a can of peanuts in
there once. It usually stayed in the vertical 'open' position - but every
so often would flip closed.

Removing it was a ...gagging.. experience.

"geodav" wrote in message
It's pretty easy to stop up the toilet. It gets plenty of water and a
good flush normally, but sometimes it will get clogged up and we have to
use a plunger to get it working again.
Any ideas?

Roy Starrin

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:56:36 -0400, geodav
wrote:

It's pretty easy to stop up the toilet. It gets plenty of water and a
good flush normally, but sometimes it will get clogged up and we have to
use a plunger to get it working again.
Any ideas?

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm
http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair

Found weird chalky off white build up blocking 1/4-1/3 of the toilet drain pipe - clinging to the rear wall of the pipe thicker at the flange and tapering to nothing at the elbow (about 10 inches down) - think it may be lime scale. It was causing toilet to flush strangely (swirling bits of TP left over) and clog frequently requiring plunging. I scraped it out, and I am about to put a new flange in.. hoping for the best, but thinking hard water/metal flange may be the issue. Toilet was put in about 25-30 years ago, so it was a slow process.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ily-43331-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Na'ilah wrote

Found weird chalky off white build up blocking 1/4-1/3 of the toilet drain
pipe - clinging to the rear wall of the pipe thicker at the flange and
tapering to nothing at the elbow (about 10 inches down) - think it may be
lime scale.

That would be one hell of a lime scale buildup.

Where is your house located ?

It was causing toilet to flush strangely (swirling bits of TP left over)
and clog frequently requiring plunging. I scraped it out, and I am about
to put a new flange in.. hoping for the best, but thinking hard
water/metal flange may be the issue. Toilet was put in about 25-30 years
ago,

Have you lived there all that time ? Sounds like someone
is tipping something stupid down that toilet.

so it was a slow process.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ily-43331-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 05:35:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Bill Wright to Rodent Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 1:01:18 PM UTC-4, Na'ilah wrote:
Found weird chalky off white build up blocking 1/4-1/3 of the toilet drain pipe - clinging to the rear wall of the pipe thicker at the flange and tapering to nothing at the elbow (about 10 inches down) - think it may be lime scale. It was causing toilet to flush strangely (swirling bits of TP left over) and clog frequently requiring plunging. I scraped it out, and I am about to put a new flange in.. hoping for the best, but thinking hard water/metal flange may be the issue. Toilet was put in about 25-30 years ago, so it was a slow process.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ily-43331-.htm

Yeah, that's not lime scale. Not that thick, and not that easy to scrape.

Here's my guess. You had some repairs done, either dry wall or paint or both, and the contractor took a short cut and dumped drywall mud or something similar down there when he was cleaning up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 May 2021 06:13:31 -0700 (PDT), TimR posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

Never thought of that. Sometimes plumbers dump cement down if they don't like
victim or their pay.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, TimR. Pretty sure drywall mud, etc. would not cling to a vertical pipe...

Are you saying lime scale would not be that thick or easy to scrape? What would you expect with lime scale? (This stuff was the texture of frosting mixed with sawdust.)

Also, maybe it's possible wax from the ring may have been in the mix, but it didn't look waxy/greasy/shiny at all.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ily-43331-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you think cement would cling to a 3 inch vertical pipe and not settle in a horizontal pipe? I don't think so....

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ily-43331-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-4, Na'ilah wrote:
Thanks, TimR. Pretty sure drywall mud, etc. would not cling to a vertical pipe...

Are you saying lime scale would not be that thick or easy to scrape? What would you expect with lime scale? (This stuff was the texture of frosting mixed with sawdust.)

Also, maybe it's possible wax from the ring may have been in the mix, but it didn't look waxy/greasy/shiny at all.
--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ily-43331-.htm

Have you ever tried to scrub lime scale out of the inside of a teapot? It's almost as hard as the metal. You might dissolve it with something acidic but abrasive pads don't even dent it.

Yes drywall mud will definitely stick to the side of the pipe but I would have thought that would be more solid than you describe. So I don't know. It sounds like something got poured down that shouldn't have been, but I'm not sure what.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/17/2021 01:00 PM, TimR wrote:
On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 1:31:30 PM UTC-4, Na'ilah wrote:
Thanks, TimR. Pretty sure drywall mud, etc. would not cling to a vertical pipe...

Are you saying lime scale would not be that thick or easy to scrape? What would you expect with lime scale? (This stuff was the texture of frosting mixed with sawdust.)

Also, maybe it's possible wax from the ring may have been in the mix, but it didn't look waxy/greasy/shiny at all.
--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ily-43331-.htm

Have you ever tried to scrub lime scale out of the inside of a teapot? It's almost as hard as the metal. You might dissolve it with something acidic but abrasive pads don't even dent it.

For a teapot vinegar does a decent job. For a toilet I would go straight
to hydrochloric. My water is very hard and the toilet bowl cleaners that
contain hydrochloric acid get the job done.

That said, I've never seen a lime buildup like the OP described.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Mon, 17 May 2021 20:35:55 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

For a teapot vinegar does a decent job. For a toilet I would go straight
to hydrochloric.

You need a litre of hydrochlorid in your big senile mouth, senile bigmouth!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:31:25 +0000, Na'ilah posted for all of us to digest...

Do you think cement would cling to a 3 inch vertical pipe and not settle in a horizontal pipe? I don't think so....

Yes, it could, depending on the mix. I don't think cement is your problem,
cement would harden. You posted that it is spongy. That leads me to another
thought. Could the pipes have had a previous leak in them and then the pipe was
"re-lined"? If you pour a bucket of water down the open pipe-with the toilet
off-does it flow freely? If so it's the toilet. If not then there is an
obstruction somewhere.

--
Tekkie