J.B. Bobbitt

Default Roofing contractor, MAJOR screw up

I just had my roof replaced. I was here for the tear-off and the sheathing
yeserday, but I was away at work today when they put the comp shingles on.

The wrong color shingles though. Definitely NOT what I ordered.

What are my realistic options in dealing with the contractor? Is there a
"industry standard" for such screw-ups?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks a heap,

-jbb

--
J.B.Bobbitt

HeatMan

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
I just had my roof replaced. I was here for the tear-off and the

sheathing
yeserday, but I was away at work today when they put the comp shingles on.

The wrong color shingles though. Definitely NOT what I ordered.

What are my realistic options in dealing with the contractor? Is there a
"industry standard" for such screw-ups?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks a heap,

Do you have a signed contract that specifies the color? Manufacturer AND
color?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:40:16 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"
wrote:

I just had my roof replaced. I was here for the tear-off and the sheathing
yeserday, but I was away at work today when they put the comp shingles on.

The wrong color shingles though. Definitely NOT what I ordered.

What are my realistic options in dealing with the contractor? Is there a
"industry standard" for such screw-ups?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks a heap,

-jbb

You don't mention "contract', so do you have one? Sales receipt with
specific orders? I guess the "industry standard" for such screw-ups"
is denial...

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
jappy

Its too bad you didn't look at the shingles(if they were onsite) while
the tear off was taking place. My guess would be you could get a
little bit of money back from the contractor but I doubt he is gonna
tear off thats shingles and put other ones on. Ask for an
adjustment..or better yet ask him WHAT HE CAN DO FOR YOU TO REMEDY THE
PROBLEM

wrote:

I just had my roof replaced. I was here for the tear-off and the sheathing
yeserday, but I was away at work today when they put the comp shingles on.

The wrong color shingles though. Definitely NOT what I ordered.

What are my realistic options in dealing with the contractor? Is there a
"industry standard" for such screw-ups?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks a heap,

-jbb

J.B. Bobbitt

I signed a "Contractor Proposal" that spec's color, manufacturer, and
product (i.e. "30 year laminated dimensional"). I had to initial all
customer selections, e.g color, manufactuere, &tc.

I don't expect that they'll tear it off and put the right color on.
But they've elimnated my preferred color schemes for the exterior
paint, &tc.

That IRKS the hell out of me.

-jbb
kato

"jappy" wrote in message
Its too bad you didn't look at the shingles(if they were onsite) while
the tear off was taking place. My guess would be you could get a
little bit of money back from the contractor but I doubt he is gonna
tear off thats shingles and put other ones on. Ask for an
adjustment..or better yet ask him WHAT HE CAN DO FOR YOU TO REMEDY THE
PROBLEM

My neighbour across the street had his roof done last year. Just as they
were finishing up the job the contractor himself realized they had installed
the wrong tiles. My neighbour came home to see his new roof with the wrong
color/type singles. The contractor was waiting for him, said he'd be back
the next day to tear off the wrongs one and install the correct ones, which
he did. Needless to say, that contractor got lots of new work in our
neighbourhood.

wrote:

I just had my roof replaced. I was here for the tear-off and the

sheathing
yeserday, but I was away at work today when they put the comp shingles

on.

The wrong color shingles though. Definitely NOT what I ordered.

What are my realistic options in dealing with the contractor? Is there a
"industry standard" for such screw-ups?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks a heap,

-jbb

m Ransley

You are in control over what he receives, if you can live with the
color get a good discount.

Sacramento Dave

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
I signed a "Contractor Proposal" that spec's color, manufacturer, and
product (i.e. "30 year laminated dimensional"). I had to initial all
customer selections, e.g color, manufactuere, &tc.

I don't expect that they'll tear it off and put the right color on.
But they've elimnated my preferred color schemes for the exterior
paint, &tc.

That IRKS the hell out of me.

-jbb

Sounds like the balls in your court.

Edwin Pawlowski

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
I signed a "Contractor Proposal" that spec's color, manufacturer, and
product (i.e. "30 year laminated dimensional"). I had to initial all
customer selections, e.g color, manufactuere, &tc.

I don't expect that they'll tear it off and put the right color on.
But they've elimnated my preferred color schemes for the exterior
paint, &tc.

That IRKS the hell out of me.

That seems to put you in a very good position. Step one is to determine
just how much it really irks you. Once determined, you can decide on the
proper remedy. If you absolutely abhor the color, he may have to do a
tearoff. If, after a few days of viewing, you determine that the color is
not all that bad, a substantial discount is in order. That saves the
contractor a bundle of time and money and saves you a bundle of money too.
It would not be to much to ask for 40% to 50% off. That may please him so
he can get to the next job to recoup the loss on yours.

For best results, approach in a calm business-like manner. After all, it is
a human error, not something done to **** you off. The contractor is as
upset as you are and want to settle.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Richard J Kinch

J.B. Bobbitt writes:

What are my realistic options in dealing with the contractor? Is
there a "industry standard" for such screw-ups?

The contractor must undo his mistake and redo the work properly, or pay to
have someone else do it. This will require you hiring a lawyer to write
nastygrams. It will likely cost more in stomach lining that you will gain.

The contractor is an expert at weaseling out of problems like this; you are
an amateur.

The best course is usually to settle for compromise like a discount on the
price. Many contractors are unreasonable, though, even when they are
clearly wrong.
Down Home Contracting

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
I just had my roof replaced. I was here for the tear-off and the

sheathing
yeserday, but I was away at work today when they put the comp shingles on.

The wrong color shingles though. Definitely NOT what I ordered.

What are my realistic options in dealing with the contractor? Is there a
"industry standard" for such screw-ups?

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks a heap,

You're being to picky. It's nothing a few gallons of paint won't solve.

Metal Roofing ptgoodman Home Repair 7 July 13th 06 02:47 AM
OT-DIY Rubber roofing Al A. Metalworking 18 August 25th 05 02:53 AM
Metal roofing advice [email protected] Home Repair 5 August 8th 05 12:20 AM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Repair 7 July 9th 03 12:12 AM
Rolled Roofing Blowing Off Manufactured Home, Repair Expensive? AJ Home Ownership 5 July 9th 03 12:12 AM