Charlie S.

Default Telephone line static

I've had intermittent static on the upstairs phone line for years. I don't
use these phones very often. One reason being is that they are very
annoying. I installed the lines myself. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Finally, after all these years I'm looking to rectify the problem. I'm not
sure where to begin. Part of the problem could be that I have DSL
service... although I'm don't think that is the entire problem because the
phones downstairs don't have any static. The computers actually share a
jack with two phones downstairs.

I'm looking at various options...if you could think of something else please
let me know.
1. I thought I would unscrew the wire connections in each of the jacks and
try to re-attach more cleanly.

If that didn't cure the problem then, I would

2. Re-wire the whole upstairs. This would be quite a chore as I have to
run the wires from the cellar. Lots of stapling involved and running wires
through walls. I'd buy new jacks too. Who knows where the problem is
coming from.

3. I guess I could try to get new filters from Verizon. That may be a wise
first choice. Maybe the newer filters are better.

I have a feeling I am picking up radio interference from somewhere. Maybe
one of the staples penetrated the wires and now the wire picks up a signal
from some place outside the house. Can't say for sure... it's just a guess.
I've tried to see if there is a correlation to computer use or hairdryers,
etc. Doesn't seem to be any.

Is there anyway of testing the lines to find out where the static might be
coming from?

Roger Taylor

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like the upstairs wiring circuit is the problem. Most likely places
to look are bad telephone (swap phones) connections, line running too close
to electric lines, or transformers, rodent activity, cut-thru by staples,
etc. You could disconnect the dsl feed just to chk for noise from that, but
I doubt that is the prob.
I either solder-gun all connections, or use pliers-activated gel splice
connectors (Google for Images of telephone gel connectors ). Either of
these methods makes a quieter connection than screw posts or terminal
strips. If the noise is fixed by tightening the connections, then just
substitute an improved connector. If the connections are not the problem,
and you have checked for staple cut thrus, then rewire, but don't use a
stapler - that is asking for trouble, unless you use one of the expensive
ones the tel. companies use.. I use hand hammered insulated stables suited
to the guage of the wire. The final test of the existing wire would be to
just run an unattached wire thru the house up to the phone, and try it
before you rewire the whole route.

Joseph Meehan

Charlie S. wrote:
I've had intermittent static on the upstairs phone line for years. I
don't use these phones very often. One reason being is that they are
very annoying. I installed the lines myself. Maybe that is part of
the problem.

I would start by trying a different phone on that line. It may be the
phone.

Next I would check all the connections, removing the wires, one at a
time, and reconnecting them making sure they are clean and tight.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

dadiOH

Charlie S. wrote:

Is there anyway of testing the lines to find out where the static
might be coming from?

Step #1 - test the line *to* the house

Take a corded phone and plug it into the outlet in the telco box on the
outside of your house. If you have static when plugged in there, it is
the telephone company's problem...some problem twixt them and your
house. Call the telco repair.
___________

If you have no problem there, it is internal to your house.

Step #2 - assure it is not DSL related

Unplug your DSL and check the phones for static. If none, replace the
filters; if yes, call a repairman.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

So it sounds like you don't subscribe to Verizon's $3 or $4 a month
inside line maintenance plan. I don't either, but I've always
wondered... would it be possible to sign up for the service, have them
fix the problem for free, pay the $3 for that month, and then cancel?
Of course, there's the whole ethics thing, but I feel less guilty about
taking advantage of monopolizing, money-sucking companies such as
Verizon.

mike

SQLit

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

There are lots of tools to test phone and communication lines. Are you
interested in spending close to a $1000 dollars? If so check Fluke. You
might be able to get by spending half that amount.

You might try a VOM meter on the pairs and check the terminal box first with
your wiring connected and then again with out. Same thing up stairs. Check
voltage first then check ohms to ground and to each pair. Any reading to
ground is bad.
Did you use telecom rated wire?

Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

I had the same problem. Intermittent static, intermittently tried to
find the source. Went on for years. It went away when I moved.

PipeDown

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

Divide and conquor. Isolate the best you can each section of phone wire.
Often the cable is daisy chained from one outlet to the next so at each
receptacle you have a chance to disconnect the downstream branch and test up
to that point. You can use a regular phone cord to bridge between two jacks
to help isolate various sections.

Do all tests with only one phone connected.

Since you installed it yourself, you should have a good idea where to access
the wires. you should only need to access at the ends, I hope you didn't
bury any connections inside a wall.

It is possible you have a bad connection at one or more jacks. The act of
disconnecting and reconnecting the wires may be enough to fix it. If it is
that flaky, you might be able to influence the noise when you touch the bad
connection. You can listen in on the phone while you probe each jack from
behind. Its not that hard to induce capacitive or resistive leakage in a
connector if debris is left in contact.

Another possibility is you used inferior wire for the new branch or put a
staple through the wire shorting something to an unused wire in the same
bundle.

If the cable has more than 2 conductors, try using the other wire pair.

TKM

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

If by static you mean a random crackling noise on the line, the cause is
likely a poor connection or moisture partially shorting out the conductors.
As others have suggested, isolate the problem to your inside wiring or the
lines coming into your house by using a hard-wired telephone plugged into
the telco box.

I had two lines coming into my house. One of them had static; the other was
fine. A check indicated the outside wiring was at fault. The telco guy
finally found the problem -- ants in the junction box at the pole. They
built a nest on the connections where the house line tapped into the street
cable. The moisture in the nest caused the static.

It's very unlikely that your DSL service including the filters is at fault
particularly if the filters are relatively new and the DSL is working O.K.

TKM

Terry

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Charlie S. wrote:

Is there anyway of testing the lines to find out where the static
might be coming from?

Some telephone companies have found that those telephone outlets jacks that
have four to six fine wires connection can become noisy due to
dampness/corrosion. Particularly if/when the jacks are installed in a cool
place such as an outside wall, warm house air can condense on them. It may
very difficult/impossible to clean them! So replace.
However since the static noise is only on the upstairs phones it is more
likely to be a poor or corroded connection?
Would not initially start suspecting filters; they are usually just a static
device consisting of coils and capacitors inside, so unless they've been hit
by lightning etc. which again should have taken care of by the 'voltage
protector' provided by the telephone utility, seems unlikely.
The best way to wire telephone and computer jacks is to wire each one
individually back to the central point. Then disconnect one at a time until
the staticy noise is found? If the wire goes from one jack to the next then
you'll have to start at the end and work back one jack and section of wire
at a time.
You said 'filters'; wondering why more than one filter would be required?
Mine has one filter where service enters the house and then computer and
telephone are distributed to various jacks; although they may use separate
wires in CAT 5 wiring.

Charlie S.

Everyone has come up with some good ideas. The switching phone idea, I've
tried. One of the reasons I've given up on this problem is that the problem
is intermittent. And, it often late at night when I use these particular
lines. I'm not usually in the mood to work at this time. Now, I will work
by the light of day.

Will try isolating the problem starting from the downstairs jack.

I will un-do the wire connections and try to make them cleaner. And,
disconnect those further on down the line to try to isolate where the
problem begins. A previous poster recommended using telephone gel
connectors. Maybe that will help me get cleaner connections. Regardless, I
hope to get started today. I can't repeat everyone suggestions and comment
on them as it would take some time. But, I do have a list of everyone's
input. Hopefully, this problem will be conquered.
Thanks everyone for your help.

[...]

I had the same problems and found 3 different distribution areas
(interconnecting wires, splices, etc) They make these little
connectors that connect 2-3 lines together without stripping the wire.
They look like skittles. You just untangle the mess, insert the wires,
push down on the skittle and it taps into each line. I did this, got
rid of all the "twist-caps", etc....now my DSL got a lot faster and
phone is static free.

Charlie S.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had the same problems and found 3 different distribution areas
(interconnecting wires, splices, etc) They make these little
connectors that connect 2-3 lines together without stripping the wire.
They look like skittles. You just untangle the mess, insert the wires,
push down on the skittle and it taps into each line. I did this, got
rid of all the "twist-caps", etc....now my DSL got a lot faster and
phone is static free.

Are these for connecting the wires between jacks? I'm looking to re-connect
the wires within the boxes.

Oh for those, you just need a little $2 punch down tool. You only
really need 2 wires, unless you have 2 lines, but I still do all four
wires to every jack. The little jacks are usually labeled. If you
have the old style, with screws, then all you need is a wirestripper
and a screw driver. The screws should already have colored wires
running from the screws to the jack itself.

Google for RJ-11 jack installation and you'll see what I'm talking
about. RJ-11 is the term for 4 wire telephone jacks. I use RJ-45, but
I run ethernet and telephone through the same jacks (You only need two
pairs for 100Mbps, so you have a spare pair for telephone). Well,
sorry if I confused you with that last bit.

Reiver

Charlie S.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh for those, you just need a little $2 punch down tool. You only
really need 2 wires, unless you have 2 lines, but I still do all four
wires to every jack. The little jacks are usually labeled. If you
have the old style, with screws, then all you need is a wirestripper
and a screw driver. The screws should already have colored wires
running from the screws to the jack itself.

Google for RJ-11 jack installation and you'll see what I'm talking
about. RJ-11 is the term for 4 wire telephone jacks. I use RJ-45, but
I run ethernet and telephone through the same jacks (You only need two
pairs for 100Mbps, so you have a spare pair for telephone). Well,
sorry if I confused you with that last bit.

Too tired at the moment to make sense of what you are saying. I'll re-read
it again tomorrow. I didn't realize until today from looking at Home Depot
and what you told me that the screw type of jack is the old style. The new
stuff seems easier to deal with. Also, some of the new clamping tools are
new to me.
Today, I bought a new tacking stapler in case I end up replacing the wires.
I have the u-shaped stapler. I don't think they are a wire friendly (and
may be the root of my problems) as this tacking stapler. There was another
unit there that shot a plastic like casing over the wire. Seemed more
geared to tacking down heavier duty wires. The staples that are used in
this stapler have a wide base with a recessed top that allowed room for the
wires to fit though. I just hope that it works. The u-shaped staples were
beefier.