spoon2001

Default telephone wiring questions

I am redoing some phone wiring and have some questions. I'm thinking that I
might as well wire for two lines while I'm at it.

First, an explanation of my existing wiring. The cable from the telephone
company goes to an old 98A lightning protector in what used to be our
garage, now the attic of our den. Here is a pictu

http://www.flxtek.net/~jsw/phone/DCP_1644s.jpg (42K)

Notice two thick black wires from phone company connected to the two
terminals at the top of the lightning protector.

QUESTION ONE. The cable from the telephone pole to the lightning protector
has two thick wires. To get an additional line, would the phone company
replace that with a 4-wire cable, or what?

The connections run through the fuses to the two terminals at the bottom.

The outgoing wire is the white cable to the left. The red wire is connected
to the bottom right terminal, the green wire is connected to the bottom left
terminal. The yellow and black wires are wrapped around the white
insulation.

(A second pair of red and green wires is also connected to these bottom
terminals. These run directly to a phone in the den, without going through
the network box.)

The white wire to the left runs back outside to a network interface box.
Here is a picture of the network interface box. Here is a pictu

Network Interface Device

http://www.flxtek.net/~jsw/phone/DCP_1639s.jpg (39K)

The white line from the lightning protector comes in on the bottom right.
Note that the NID has two sides, one designated "Line 1", the other "Line
2". A set of 4 terminals - RGBY - is mounted on the Line One side.

QUESTION TWO. I can't tell from the picture - I'll have to go up on the
roof to make sure - is there a wire from the telco part of the box going to
each of these four terminals?

QUESTION THREE. You can see that the wire to the test jack has only two
wires, red and green. But isn't this part of the connection to the rest of
the house? After all, when you unplug the test jack, the phones in the
house go dead. And if this is part of the connection to the rest of the
house, why doesn't it have all four wires?

No terminals are mounted on the Line 2 side of the NID.

QUESTION FOUR. What will the phone company do with the network box to
enable
a second line? (Assuming they don't replace the box.) Will they put RGBY
terminals on the Line 2 set of the box, and connect four wires to it?

QUESTION FIVE. Why have 4 terminals on the Line One side? Just to
establish a spare connection? If a spare connection is needed for each
line, should I run two wires out of the NID instead of just one?

My idea was to run the wire from the NID to a junction box in the attic, and
then to jacks in a star configuration.

I bought the RCA TP039 junction box, which says "add up to 4 telephone
extension lines". Shown he

http://www.flxtek.net/~jsw/phone/PICT0067s.jpg (34K)

Here are the installation instructions, which have confused me a bit:

http://www.flxtek.net/~jsw/phone/junctionboxinstall.png (9K)

QUESTION SIX. There are two terminals for each wire color, and two in the
top of each terminal. I'm assuming that I can put one wire of each color
into each slot, for a total of four. Is this right?

QUESTION SEVEN. How should I connect the incoming wire? Should I insert
the
wires through one of the bottom slots on each terminal, or should I put the
wire under the screw?

Many thanks for your advice.

HorneTD

Replies are in line.

spoon2001 wrote:
I am redoing some phone wiring and have some questions. I'm thinking that I
might as well wire for two lines while I'm at it.

First, an explanation of my existing wiring. The cable from the telephone
company goes to an old 98A lightning protector in what used to be our
garage, now the attic of our den. Here is a pictu

http://www.flxtek.net/~jsw/phone/DCP_1644s.jpg (42K)

Notice two thick black wires from phone company connected to the two
terminals at the top of the lightning protector.

I would suggest that you eliminate that obsolete protector from your
den's attic. The protector that is located in the Network Interface
Device (NID) will perform better if it has a good ground connection.
That ground connection must be made to the same Grounding Electrode
System that protects your electrical power wiring and all other wire
carried utilities that enter your home. If that is not clear then ask
more questions.

QUESTION ONE. The cable from the telephone pole to the lightning protector
has two thick wires. To get an additional line, would the phone company
replace that with a 4-wire cable, or what?

It is likely that they would run four or six pair cable.

[...]

No. There present cable is two conductor or single pair. It has only
two wires in it.

QUESTION THREE. You can see that the wire to the test jack has only two
wires, red and green. But isn't this part of the connection to the rest of
the house? After all, when you unplug the test jack, the phones in the
house go dead. And if this is part of the connection to the rest of the
house, why doesn't it have all four wires?

Each telephone line from the central office is carried by a single pair
of wires. Additional wires are unnecessary.

No terminals are mounted on the Line 2 side of the NID.

QUESTION FOUR. What will the phone company do with the network box to
enable
a second line? (Assuming they don't replace the box.) Will they put RGBY
terminals on the Line 2 set of the box, and connect four wires to it?

They will only connect two wires or one pair for each additional
telephone line that they provide.

QUESTION FIVE. Why have 4 terminals on the Line One side? Just to
establish a spare connection? If a spare connection is needed for each
line, should I run two wires out of the NID instead of just one?

If you are going to have just two lines then a single run of four
conductor "JK" station wire will carry both lines.

My idea was to run the wire from the NID to a junction box in the attic, and
then to jacks in a star configuration.

I bought the RCA TP039 junction box, which says "add up to 4 telephone
extension lines". Shown he

http://www.flxtek.net/~jsw/phone/PICT0067s.jpg (34K)

Here are the installation instructions, which have confused me a bit:

http://www.flxtek.net/~jsw/phone/junctionboxinstall.png (9K)

QUESTION SIX. There are two terminals for each wire color, and two in the
top of each terminal. I'm assuming that I can put one wire of each color
into each slot, for a total of four. Is this right?

That is correct.

QUESTION SEVEN. How should I connect the incoming wire? Should I insert
the
wires through one of the bottom slots on each terminal, or should I put the
wire under the screw?

Insert them in the slots. Do not use the screws as wire binding screws.

The wire from the telephone company should go first to your Network
Interface Device (NID). You then run one cable that has sufficient
pairs for all of your lines to your junction box or connecting block.

If there is any likelihood of your having more than four telephones in
your home you should consider buying a punch down block and an
inexpensive punch down tool. The ones they sell at my local home depots
are the 66M type that take up to fifty pairs of wires. Each set of post
on the block will except two wires. There are four position each level
(horizontal row) of the block. These are called combs. You bring the
pairs from the Network Interface device to the post on the left side of
the block. You then use short lengths of wire (jumpers) to connect those
post to sufficient rows below them so that each interior jack will have
it's own set of rows. You connect the wires from each jack to a single
row on the right side. since the pairs of post on the right and left
side of each comb are isolated from each other electrically you connect
the jack wiring to the NID wiring by using bridging clips that you
purchased with the 66M block. If your box store does not sell these
parts most electrical supply houses do or can order one for you. The
finished effect makes a very neat job that allows you to disconnect the
inside jacks from the NID one at a time in order to troubleshoot the
inside wiring by just removing the bridging clips. You can also deprive
any jack of service by opening that jacks bridging clips.
Pictures of the parts and tool can be found here.
http://www.ntcp.com/en-us/dept_48.html
A picture of an installed block can be found here.
http://www.homephonewiring.com/blocks.html

Many thanks for your advice.

Your Welcome
--
Tom H
chuck yerkes

HorneTD wrote:

Replies are in line.

spoon2001 wrote:

I am redoing some phone wiring and have some questions. I'm thinking
that I
might as well wire for two lines while I'm at it.

QUESTION SEVEN. How should I connect the incoming wire? Should I insert
the
wires through one of the bottom slots on each terminal, or should I
put the
wire under the screw?

Typically line 1 is R/G and Line 2 is B/Y.
The newer wiring uses the blues and oranges (I forget), but I'm doubting
you have newer wiring.

If there is any likelihood of your having more than four telephones in
your home you should consider buying a punch down block and an
inexpensive punch down tool. The ones they sell at my local home depots
are the 66M type that take up to fifty pairs of wires. Each set of post

There's also more and more an option of additional lines running over
VOIP - over your Internet connection. Which can also be in any area
code you want (eg. give a relative a local number to call which rings
your phone 1000 miles away).

If you're pulling wires, pull CAT5. Always. Phone wire is just moot.
CAT 5 has 4 pairs. It can be Ethernet + 2 phones or various
combinations of things.

I break it out inside the wall to my QuickPort jacks.
There's never a reason to pull 2 pair wire when you can pull 4 pair.