chuck yerkes

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 04:57:02 GMT, chuck yerkes
wrote:

Typically line 1 is R/G and Line 2 is B/Y.
The newer wiring uses the blues and oranges (I forget), but I'm doubting
you have newer wiring.

What do you consider "newer wiring" ?

Our last house was built in 1975 and it was wired with red-green,
black-yellow, blue-white w/blue stripe, orange-white with orange
stripe, and brown-white with brown stripe wiring.

I'm a bit ruined. I grew up in houses built in the 40s and late 50s. I
lived for a long time in a house built in 1760, my dad has a house from
1860 and my current house is from 1994. Except for this last, god knows
when the wiring went in.

I've found the red/green/yellow/black in houses build in the 50s, but I
still found it in houses from the late 70s.

So I suppose the changeover occured around then. I was thinking it was
an 80s thing (I ran a lot of extra phone lines for friends and my
parents friends then and just never ran into the blue/bw & o/ow stuff much).

I *do* know that where I am now, in the mid '90s, the "best practice" is
(finally) to "home run" all wiring. Annoyingly my present house has
phone wires chained together. As I slowly cut holes to run new wires
(coax and multiple cat5) I get to fix this, er, "feature" and run all
the phone to a punchdown in the crawl space.