chuck yerkes

Default telephone wiring questions

HorneTD wrote:

Replies are in line.

spoon2001 wrote:

I am redoing some phone wiring and have some questions. I'm thinking
that I
might as well wire for two lines while I'm at it.

QUESTION SEVEN. How should I connect the incoming wire? Should I insert
the
wires through one of the bottom slots on each terminal, or should I
put the
wire under the screw?

Typically line 1 is R/G and Line 2 is B/Y.
The newer wiring uses the blues and oranges (I forget), but I'm doubting
you have newer wiring.

If there is any likelihood of your having more than four telephones in
your home you should consider buying a punch down block and an
inexpensive punch down tool. The ones they sell at my local home depots
are the 66M type that take up to fifty pairs of wires. Each set of post

There's also more and more an option of additional lines running over
VOIP - over your Internet connection. Which can also be in any area
code you want (eg. give a relative a local number to call which rings
your phone 1000 miles away).

If you're pulling wires, pull CAT5. Always. Phone wire is just moot.
CAT 5 has 4 pairs. It can be Ethernet + 2 phones or various
combinations of things.

I break it out inside the wall to my QuickPort jacks.
There's never a reason to pull 2 pair wire when you can pull 4 pair.